1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default GMAIL Question

I am very new to Android and have had my EVO for just a little over a week. It is a great phone, but my gmail app is acting strange. When I send an e-mail from the app, it gets stuck sending the e-mail in the outbox. I know the e-mails go thru, but they won't clear out of the outbox. I hope this makes sense. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Try creating a Gmail mailbox and not using that Red GMail app. I like it better. I then added Mail Inbox shortcut to my Home Screen.
    "Now I may be an ***** but there is one thing I am not, sir and that, sir is an *****." -Peter Griffin
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

This might be a stupid question, but how do i create a Gmail mailbox?

Global Posts
    594 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock SGSIIE4GT

i would just delete the account and readd. also check your settings on the gmail site.

Just a note: If you use an inbox in the Mail app instead of the Gmail app, you lose push notifications. You can still set it to check every 15 minutes, but it's something to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by liquidnails View Post
    This might be a stupid question, but how do i create a Gmail mailbox?
    Go into Mail (on your all app screen), Hit Menu, More, New Account....
    Add your username and password, I believe it sets up POP/SMTP servers automatically...
    "Now I may be an ***** but there is one thing I am not, sir and that, sir is an *****." -Peter Griffin

Fyi, I had the same exact problem. The reason is you're not letting the sent folder sync so it cannot check it to verify that your email went out. Therefore it's always stuck in the 'Outbox'.

Just add the sent folder and it'll work.
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverZero View Post
    Just a note: If you use an inbox in the Mail app instead of the Gmail app, you lose push notifications. You can still set it to check every 15 minutes, but it's something to think about.
    The gmail application isn't quite as good usability wise but I couldn't give up my push email. Checking every 15 minutes is slow and causes more of a battery drain especially if you have a ton of email addresses to check.

Global Posts
    220 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    Fyi, I had the same exact problem. The reason is you're not letting the sent folder sync so it cannot check it to verify that your email went out. Therefore it's always stuck in the 'Outbox'.

Just add the sent folder and it'll work.
    The gmail application isn't quite as good usability wise but I couldn't give up my push email. Checking every 15 minutes is slow and causes more of a battery drain especially if you have a ton of email addresses to check.
    i suggest using K-9 Mail. in fact, its push capabilities are better than the gmail app. literally 5-10 seconds it detects that you have new mail. you also need to have background data on for it to work

I don't receive e-mails automatically unless I have the auto sync option turned on. This affects my outbox as well.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Thanks for your help. I already have a sent items folder in my gmail app. Lately I have been deleting my outbox emails, just because it has been bugging me. Should I uninstall the gmail app and then re-install? I know its probably not a big deal since people get the emails anyway.