OK - FaceTime is GOOD!! Why can't Fring or Qik match it???

shibumi

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
I thought for sure that the Facetime commercials that Apple is running had to be "simulated", so today I decided to check out some user videos on Youtube - and WOW!!! It really is that damn GOOD!!!

Smooooth, Crisp, Clear video and audio!!

So why the heck can't Qik or Fring match up?? I'm assuming it's just got to be the codec / compression - but if Apple can do it then surely some Android developers can too (right??)?

Granted, I understand that FT can only be used on WiFi (which really limits its effectiveness on a mobile device), but even when my wife and I tested out Qik and Fring on our own home wifi network they were both pretty poor in comparison. You would think they could build in the logic to notice when it's a wifi (or 4g) vs 3g connection - and then boost the bitrate from there.

I hate to give the fanboys any material, but at least as far as video QUALITY goes, Facetime is winning (hopefully not for long...)

Has anyone been able to match the QUALITY of FT using Qik or Fring? Maybe I'm just missing a setting somewhere...

bnrbranding

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I am pretty sure that Fring and Qik only work in VGA mode, unless you pay for the premium plan on Qik. Buy Qik and you should see a big difference in quality.

pwnst_r

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I'd have no issues paying for a higher quality app. Everyone that thinks all apps should be free: I laugh in your face.

f1nzup

May 29, 2010
Visit site
I would say it's because Facetime only works with wifi, and therefore has the ability to be of better quality than going through a phone line, but given the options, I like not being limited to wifi areas only.

Spunks3

May 17, 2010
Visit site
i think google should impliment video chat right out of google talk, not voice, but talk... comes preloaded on most android phones, and it would be impressive to be able to talk to gmail users as well..

phillysdon04

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
i think google should impliment video chat right out of google talk, not voice, but talk... comes preloaded on most android phones, and it would be impressive to be able to talk to gmail users as well..
I hope google is working on that because the video conferencing capability is the main reason I bought this phone. Google has everything needed to make this possible.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
The only thing I'm interested in is video chat from my phone to a PC (not having to have my phone on wi-fi). And using a "common" software package such as Skype or even Live Messenger.

I do not want to have to rely on the other person being on wifi, having an Evo, or having to download something special that they will only use to talk to me.

Really, the Skype on Fring thing was the best option out there (because nearly everyone I know has Skype) and it worked great. Very disappointed that I don't have it now.

shibumi

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
I am pretty sure that Fring and Qik only work in VGA mode, unless you pay for the premium plan on Qik. Buy Qik and you should see a big difference in quality.

Has anyone *purchased* Qik yet? Given their track record (the free app still only works it seems 50% of the time) I'm not that eager to lay out any cash for them. Don't they have a "per month" model??

Guess I'll look around and see if there are any reviews on the paid version of Qik

AngryCPA

May 17, 2010
Visit site
The only thing I'm interested in is video chat from my phone to a PC (not having to have my phone on wi-fi). And using a "common" software package such as Skype or even Live Messenger.

I do not want to have to rely on the other person being on wifi, having an Evo, or having to download something special that they will only use to talk to me.

Really, the Skype on Fring thing was the best option out there (because nearly everyone I know has Skype) and it worked great. Very disappointed that I don't have it now.

Agree 100% with this. Fring by itself is a steaming pile and I uninstalled it the day I found out they wouldn't be getting Skype support back.

Hopefully we will see a dedicated Skype client in the near future, I am not going to hold my breath though. Very disappointing considering we are there with the hardware but aren't getting the software support we need.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
With the iPhone, EVO and the soon to be released Epic...... The front facing camera is not ready for prime time video conferencing. Maybe when Sprint, Verizon and AT&T all have their 4G networks up and running from coast to coast..... The iPhone and Face time is better because it's limited to WiFi which can handle more data and it's limited to iPhone 4 to iPhone 4.... It can be better all day long but if it means I have to have an iPhone then they can keep it......

I played around with Qik and Fring a little and found them to be okay but not ready for prime time (not sure how much better it would be on the 4G network)

My question would be is there really any one out there who would use a feature like Face Time full time all the time?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital