E: can't open /cache/recovery/command error when trying to update to froyo

andiggity

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Ive followed every instruction thread step by step and download from several sources. Also the zip file was changed to update.zip not update.zip.zip. Ive seen others with this problem but no solution found. Any ideas???

andiggity

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
also on the recovery screen in yellow it says
E: unable to verify whole-file signature
E: signature verification failed
Installation aborted
I thought I got a bad zip but I dled from 5 sources...

Dave Blake

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I got that screen to the first time I ran it the next time it went through are you sure you have file in the root directory and not in the download file.

andiggity

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Its definitely in the root dir. My phone was previously rooted with unrevoked and I wiped it figuring that's what the problem was. I will try with Rom manager. I didn't think I needed it because its an official HTC build.

jperez0913

May 26, 2010
Visit site
try downloading file directly from the phone, then use andro zip to copy and paste onto main directory of sd card. zip file should be 82 mbs. hope this helps

andiggity

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Ok so I ran unrevoked and now Rom Manager keeps telling me "You must have clockworkmd recovery installed" I click install and it says an error occurred while flashing your recovery...

leftpinky

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
had the same problem. the solution is....you gotta update to the newest software first, 1.47 or whatever, then run these steps and it should work. problem is not with update.zip.zip or whatever (might be, but do this first)

boltd

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Hey dude, I had the same problem as you, but then read the sticky. ;-)
Anyway I made a copy of the update.zip and renamed it pc36img.zip and now froyo goodness. Hope it helps...