Froyo- Much Ado About Nothing?

mcduffer

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
I made the mistake of thinking alot of the features of stock 2.2 such as on the NexusOne were part of this update. I was really looking forward to the 3D app drawer and such. A little disappointed. I may just root and throw a custom ROM on. Still, I love this phone. Everything is faster.

Dave Blake

May 7, 2010
Visit site
You must not use your EVO much or maybe there is a software conflict. I recently got my laptop stolen and for the last week I have been using my EVO for everything I definitely see a speed boost. I am very pleased with the speed boost plus increased stability

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Things should be faster inside applications.
Go to manage applications... Should load about 5x faster.

Froyo wasn't that big of a deal for me. I'm just glad I'm on Vanilla Android now. Sense was annoying.
Sadly, we already had things pretty fast because of the snappiness of the Snapdragon. I wish Froyo helped 3d graphics and whatnot. =/

I wish somebody figured out how to overclock the Adreno GPU.

mcduffer

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
Haha, funny. I'm 40 years old. As stated, my fault for being mistaken. Not blaming anyone or HTC. Not one to whine. I said I still love the phone. I bet youre one of those posters who just battles everyone and what they say.:D

Predator-1

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
CyanogenMod is the way to go! Very stable even though it says experimental I haven't run into any major problems. Major tweaks in speed plus overclocked/underclocked for more speed and battery saving. FPS cap gone, ADW launcher, Sprint bloatware gone, free tethering/hotspot... I can go on and on....

Last edited:

californiajay

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I don't really see much difference myself. Yes some apps have some new menu options etc. but if I knew yesterday what I know today, I would have not applied this update. Not only does it seem like a waste of time but now I no longer have hotspot capability that unrevoked provided for me.

Is there any way to go back to 2.1?

Dave Blake

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Thread cleaned up and reopened.

Thanks Cory

Since I started this thread saving Froyo was no faster let me bring up the rear with an update. Big D5 suggested I see if there were any conflicts slowing it down. Indeed, I found the problem- Google's Listen. For some reason it appears to be what was slowing things down. I selectively uninstalled, tested, and then reinstalled each program that did not come with the EVO. When all was said and done it was Google Listen, which when uninstalled, gave Froyo much more zippiness. I tried reinstalling it and unfortunately it brought the slowness back, so it is goodbye Listen for now.

I might do a total wipe of the EVO today, then do a fresh install and put Google Listen back on along with my other apps and see if the problem goes away. Clean installs seem to work wonders when all else fails. I'll report back later.

Also, I am finding little nuances that I like about Froyo. Not earthshattering, but nice and improvements over 2.1.

I am glad you are getting this figured out :)

darrylb1

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Things should be faster inside applications.
Go to manage applications... Should load about 5x faster.

Froyo wasn't that big of a deal for me. I'm just glad I'm on Vanilla Android now. Sense was annoying.
Sadly, we already had things pretty fast because of the snappiness of the Snapdragon. I wish Froyo helped 3d graphics and whatnot. =/

I wish somebody figured out how to overclock the Adreno GPU.

what happened to your sense? will you use one of the home apps?

guruffl

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Every aspect of the phone is faster, thanks to the JIT. The amount of memory being used at any given time is allot less, 2.2 utilizes less memory all the time so more is idle and available when needed... The are loads of little tweaks to apps that are nice. Flash is cool, but the main thing about 2.2 is it run way more efficient. If you can not see the difference you are blind!

Steve20

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
Remember, Froyo lets you use chrome to phone too. I've been messing around with it and its pretty awesome so far.

Here's the link. Just remember to enable apps from outside the market.

Buttpope

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I think it would be stupid to anticipate mind-blowing changes and additions to an OS until its a first number update. i.e. upgrading from Android 2.7 to 3.0

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
someguyredeye