2.2 Froyo pushed back? Say it aint so!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to call BS on this... (the delay, at least...) I have not seen anywhere else on the internet about this... I really doubt Sprint would say its official and then back out... though I would not put it past them...

I agree.. I have not seen any thing either and it's not like it was just a rumor or screen shots of the Sprint Internal Memo that was spreading around on 7.29.. Sprint had a public press release saying "TUESDAY"

That being said I would easily say 80 - 90% of the people who a 2.2 update matters and actually knows what 2.2 and Froyo is have the update by now. You do have a small % of people who are looking forward to it but were too scared to do the manual download/update and were willing to wait.... Most every one else with an EVO won't even care or know the difference (Since 2.1 and 2.2 look exactly the same with Sense layered over it)

Edit: You have a bunch of people like my sister who still have the original 2G iPhone and think it's the $HIT... She does not care, she got it when it was new and it still works great for her and she still feels "COOL" with it.... No matter what update you did she wouldn't know the difference if it bit her on the @$$...

bleedblue

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Wouldn't discount it as a possibility, but seeing as no other sites are reporting anything like this leads me to doubt it - as stated. But hey, ya never know. And the bricked devices are few and far between, and in most cases it's because someone didn't do something right.

We'll see, but for now, I bet it still drops.

rem_kujawa

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
I agree.. I have not seen any thing either and it's not like it was just a rumor or screen shots of the Sprint Internal Memo that was spreading around on 7.29.. Sprint had a public press release saying "TUESDAY"

That being said I would easily say 80 - 90% of the people who a 2.2 update matters and actually knows what 2.2 and Froyo is have the update by now. You do have a small % of people who are looking forward to it but were too scared to do the manual download/update and were willing to wait.... Most every one else with an EVO won't even care or know the difference (Since 2.1 and 2.2 look exactly the same with Sense layered over it)

Edit: You have a bunch of people like my sister who still have the original 2G iPhone and think it's the $HIT... She does not care, she got it when it was new and it still works great for her and she still feels "COOL" with it.... No matter what update you did she wouldn't know the difference if it bit her on the @$$...

That's right, I think we are at the extreme end of the tech geek spectrum. When I talk about my evo to any of my friends or family all I get is "who cares its a phone" or they just role their eyes and walk away.

gbm85

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
As others have said, when it comes to actual knowledge, customer service is probably more clueless than the person asking them. Their job is to fix account and technical issues, and sell you ****. Beyond that they typically don't know any more than the village idiot.

And as for bricked phones... I know it sounds scary, but I have been in the smartphone game for quite a long time, and I can tell you when you see a report of a bricked phone on the Internet, 99% of the time the phone is not bricked and the person ends up being able to fix it once they have proper instructions from someone knowledgable. Most people are scared to death when installing "unofficial" or "leaked" ROMs, and when something goes wrong their first thought is "bricked!!" But it hardly ever turns out to be the case.

DroidGnome

May 16, 2010
Visit site
They probably don't want another issue like last time with bad updates... that and I've heard that there are some market issues with paid apps not showing up.

Either way... worth the wait. Besides.. I'm waiting on rooted versions anyway so what's a few more days ;)

UTnick

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
Root and install the froyo Rom in hacks listed as AC. HTC is probably gonna lock down their builds soon and you don't wanna have to wait for a new root process when several easy ones exist now.

sraj49

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Hey Guys. mine is an unrooted HTC EVO and is there anyway that I can revert to the old operating system from Froyo.

sraj49

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. I am a novice. Can you please guide me with a step by step approach. Will it go back to the earlier system. Thanks for your kind help

sraj49

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Then what will system wipe from recovery console do? Can I reinstall the update? Is this where I switch off the phone, press the vol down button and push power on. Click on recovery mode. Then what happens? I am sorry for asking these questions.

Thanks

sraj49

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
I understand...But can I reinstall the update. I do not see the Gmail tweek as is mentioned by people who have installed the leaked version. Also where should I look for whether 720 P is enabled? When I clicked on the Gmail I still see the old look. Whereas the flash is installed, as also Flashlite, mounting applications on SD cards etc.

Hey, I really appreciate your swift response. Thanks a lot

Raj

Freshy03

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
If i am rooted using UNREVOKED will i be able to download this new Froyo update? Or will it cause my phone to "brick"??

PM-Performance

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
you are honestly better off just waiting till tommorow then screwing with the leaked update. You got like 15 hrs till its officially released. Why waste extra effort?

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
you are honestly better off just waiting till tommorow then screwing with the leaked update. You got like 15 hrs till its officially released. Why waste extra effort?

LOL.. Yeah if you didn't make the leap Friday or Saturday or at the latest Sunday why not just wait for the final build Sprint releases tomorrow...

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
5 minutes ago Sprint PR assured me that the official update date is still Aug. 3.

I can't get any confirmation, but it looks like the difference between the "unofficial" and "official" will be that the "official" locks the phone down tighter, and closes a loophole that allows copy-protected apps to be copied and shared.

If what I'm hearing is true, if you think you will ever want to root your device in the future, do not install the "official" version of the update.

If i can get more and/or better information, we'll post it on the front page.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
5 minutes ago Sprint PR assured me that the official update date is still Aug. 3.

I can't get any confirmation, but it looks like the difference between the "unofficial" and "official" will be that the "official" locks the phone down tighter, and closes a loophole that allows copy-protected apps to be copied and shared.

If what I'm hearing is true, if you think you will ever want to root your device in the future, do not install the "official" version of the update.

If i can get more and/or better information, we'll post it on the front page.

Thank You....

Be interesting to see what the final build is.... So far I have no issues with the "LEAKED" .3 build from Friday... Battery life is slightly off from the current 2.1 but not a deal breaker (at least not for my use) Maybe 15 - 20% worse than before I updated but still easily gets me from wake to night night....

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site

This is such a DARE to those who root....... I sincerely don't believe it will be unrootable, do you?

Status
Not open for further replies.