2.2 Froyo pushed back? Say it aint so!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrhankey184

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Found someone post this that called into Sprint regarding the update we should be able to sync in the settings.

"Android 2.2 Update for the EVO..
?The Android 2.2 client initiated download availability date is delayed.
?We recognize that many of our HTC EVO customers are... eagerly waiting for the new Google enhancements.
?Sprint and HTC are working together to ensure availability as soon as possible.
?A revised availability date will be communicated as quickly as possible."

So, I assume the manual update is just being pushed back or the entire OTA even on Tuesday?

Seven2k

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I got the same answer on Friday when i called. But I asked him when was that posted and he said the 29th and I said the official statement was released today and he said go by whats recent and he shows the 3rd. Guess Ill still wait no biggie.

scott_0

May 28, 2010
Visit site
surprise surprise :sarcasm: just chatted with a Sprint rep, they have indeed pushed it back and they have no idea when it will be ready, typical Sprint

Last edited:

Grebnehtor

May 15, 2010
Visit site
I'm running the leaked official firmware. It runs great! Flash and all. Ill still be able to get the OTA as I'm not rooted and using official firmware now.

thekarens

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Why in the world is everyone calling everyone customer service? A) they are almost always clueless and B) what difference does it make? Either it's available or it's not and I can just about guarantee the 411 will be online before they know.

If you are that anxious to get it the download has been posted along with the instructions several times.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
is this true and can anybody else verify this?
I was wondering if we'd still get the new OTA firmware if you have the leaked 2.2.

You should be able to just upgrade since the file leaked does not require you to root... The file release was the Sprint/HTC file and does exactly what you have to do when the OTA hits your phone.

I posted this before but you have to think about it.... When the EVO hit the market on June 4 there was an update pushed out to the phone that slightly changed the build number and then on 6.28 they released and then pulled back an update that was rumored to brick some phones. They made a few minor changes and released it again on 6.29.

The build that some people got was 3.25.651.1 and the build I have is 3.26.651.3.... Seems people who jumped on the upgrade earlier in the day got the one build and people like me who downloaded the file around 5 or 6 pm got the "Latest" build....

What "SHOULD" happen once a build is finished is you will do a search for the latest software and if the change is 3.26.651.5 your phone should just upgrade and make the proper adjustments... What ever Sprint releases I am about 99% certain 3.26.651.3 will NOT be the latest and greatest version a month or two from now. They will make adjustments as complaints come in and you will get notifications for minor changes... Right now it's a bigger change going from 2.1 to 2.2......

I think the build that we are using was a prerelease meant to go to probably Sprint Employees and a select group of people to test and give Sprint a few days to make adjustments to it before August 3rd mass release. One of those Employees or Beta testers obviously posted and leaked the build and once it hits a forum like this and many of the others it spread like wildfire and HTC and Sprint pulled the site that was hosting the build because they didn't want us to have it yet....

Reactions: reagan247

Verdes8891

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I am glad i waited now actually. With all the problems I have been reading about the upgrade to Froyo, I think i can wait patiently for a new release.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I am glad i waited now actually. With all the problems I have been reading about the upgrade to Froyo, I think i can wait patiently for a new release.

I have not had any problems at all.... Battery life is slightly worse but not horrible..... I use to go 16 hours and have around 40% remaining... Yesterday and so far today looks like 16 hours with less than 20% remaining... So battery life is off... Camera is improved greatly.... Flash works beautifully but as with any internet connection if your on a slow connection your going to notice websites are choppy.... I love the Chrome to Phone option... Pretty neat when your on your computer and then with one click of a button in Chrome (or firefox) it sends that webpage to your phone.

Applications and scrolling is much faster.... But honestly MOST of what your going to see is exactly what you have on 2.1.... Unless you live off your phone the look and feel is mostly the same... With Sense layered over 2.2 it looks and works just like 2.1..... Thus the move only .1 in the version.... 3.0 is suppose to be a major change in the UI and the way it looks.... We'll see...

After 2 full days I can HONESTLY say nothing would have changed had I held off and waited for the "OFFICIAL - OFFICIAL" release of 2.2.... it wasn't a major game changer for my use of internet, Facebook, Pictures, e-mail, phone and texting (I am not a gamer so I have only a golf game that was offered up for free and still after 2 weeks only played it twice... I have work to do.. :p) I actually all ready had a flash light application I downloaded the first day I had the phone so that was no major change....

Only thing now is I am thinking of rooting just to dump the bloat ware Sprint puts on your phone....

Verdes8891

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I have not had any problems at all.... Battery life is slightly worse but not horrible..... I use to go 16 hours and have around 40% remaining... Yesterday and so far today looks like 16 hours with less than 20% remaining... So battery life is off... Camera is improved greatly.... Flash works beautifully but as with any internet connection if your on a slow connection your going to notice websites are choppy.... I love the Chrome to Phone option... Pretty neat when your on your computer and then with one click of a button in Chrome (or firefox) it sends that webpage to your phone.

Applications and scrolling is much faster.... But honestly MOST of what your going to see is exactly what you have on 2.1.... Unless you live off your phone the look and feel is mostly the same... With Sense layered over 2.2 it looks and works just like 2.1..... Thus the move only .1 in the version.... 3.0 is suppose to be a major change in the UI and the way it looks.... We'll see...

After 2 full days I can HONESTLY say nothing would have changed had I held off and waited for the "OFFICIAL - OFFICIAL" release of 2.2.... it wasn't a major game changer for my use of internet, Facebook, Pictures, e-mail, phone and texting (I am not a gamer so I have only a golf game that was offered up for free and still after 2 weeks only played it twice... I have work to do.. :p) I actually all ready had a flash light application I downloaded the first day I had the phone so that was no major change....

Only thing now is I am thinking of rooting just to dump the bloat ware Sprint puts on your phone....

The problems I was reading of is the battery issue for one. Bricking phones, flash not working, applications in general not working. Can no longer buy apps so on and so forth.

Nothing to concerning, but still. I usually wait till the official release anyways to make sure I dont screw anything up.

lastdetailwd

Nov 14, 2009
www.lastdetailwd.com
The problems I was reading of is the battery issue for one. Bricking phones, flash not working, applications in general not working. Can no longer buy apps so on and so forth.

Nothing to concerning, but still. I usually wait till the official release anyways to make sure I dont screw anything up.

A bricked phone is concerning! :p

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
it wasn't a major game changer for my use of internet, Facebook, Pictures, e-mail, phone and texting (I am not a gamer so I have only a golf game that was offered up for free and still after 2 weeks only played it twice... I have work to do.. :p)

Amen brother.
Check your PM :)

Beezzy

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Pssssh I'm loving the taste of Froyo! I don't care when the new building comes now. The "offical" leaked one is working just fine with me. Getting 37-40 Mflops or Benchmarks of 11-1200 is nice.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G using Tapatalk

Tower72

Gigantic Member
Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
guess im a lucky one...either that or the "bricked" phones etc are few and far between that its not enough to get everyone into a fit. I installed this on mine, my brothers and my sister in law, and a friend at work...all went fine.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
guess im a lucky one...either that or the "bricked" phones etc are few and far between that its not enough to get everyone into a fit. I installed this on mine, my brothers and my sister in law, and a friend at work...all went fine.

I have not heard of any bricked phones..... I have heard of people with issues with flash, camera and a few other minor things... But not bricked phones. I can say it's not for the feint of heart... I had the download around 6.. Finally put the file on the phone at around 7 but it wasn't until 9:30 I finally did it....

My EVO was stock before the update... Most people that I read about having problems with Flash had installed flash ahead of time (while still on 2.1) and with the camera they were using another camera app... Once they did a hard reset all the problems went away.

its_miller_time

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to call BS on this... (the delay, at least...) I have not seen anywhere else on the internet about this... I really doubt Sprint would say its official and then back out... though I would not put it past them...

dargo

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
+1 Im anxious to get it too, but Im also gonna wait till its actually released

reading a lots of negative posts about 2.2 and it's not even been pushed.
till i can download ota it's a beta and bound to have problems. i love my evo was glad to sell my aging iphone 3G and go android but at least apple gives you a date it's a firm date and 99.99 % of the time does not change, so sprint & htc get it together and give us a date.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs