Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Choppy video playback with froyo

    I updated with froyo and my video playback is very choppy. Anyone having this problem?
  2. #2  

    Default

    **** I just noticed it too.. This is really bumming me out. So far this is the only major problem I've noticed since updating. I really hope the official update fixes this.
  3. #3  

    Default

    Yes im not the only one!!! Sorry lol...after playing back a 720p vidio for the first time its choppy...then if you play it again its fine untill u go to watch it again....it really bothers me i have my video set to record with h264 800x480. And playback is fine with that..but id rather use 720p...hopefully on august 3 rd there will be a more revised version of the froyo update..
  4. #4  

    Default

    Now I'm noticing that in some videos it'll actually throw me out. After a few seconds it goes back to the gallery.. Weird. O well. It's a non-official leak. If this is still going on after the official OTA THEN I'll be pissed..
  5. #5  
    irock1985's Avatar

    Posts
    477 Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    Also people should remember that it is still just a phone. Even of you think of it as a small computer, think about how a computer would run with a 1 ghz processor and compare. Full flash is very demanding on a processor of that speed...
  6. #6  

    Default

    If flash is very demanding on a processor, can flash be disabled?
    DropBox lets you sync files across Android, iOS, and Desktop Computers. Sign up for free, install, get me and you extra space! DropBox
    Twitter @AndroidTechGuy and @IAmSixNine
    Google+Google+
  7. #7  
    dtg755's Avatar

    Posts
    131 Posts
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts

    Default

    I just noticed this too with some video I already had recorded...hopefully this is fixed in the final release
  8. #8  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by irock1985 View Post
    Also people should remember that it is still just a phone. Even of you think of it as a small computer, think about how a computer would run with a 1 ghz processor and compare. Full flash is very demanding on a processor of that speed...
    We're not talking about Flash. We're talking about the video playback of videos from your gallery. It worked perfect before the update. Like I said I'm not gonna be mad about it nor should anyone else. It's a leaked update not an official. If after tomorrow it's still doing it then ya we should be pissed.

    As far as flash it's been working for me perfect. I'm honestly really surprised how well it works actually. I figured it would be all choppy but even on 3G it's smooth even if the video isn't fully loaded. Very impressed.
  9. #9  

    Default

    i really hpe they fix this...thats all i gotta say
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

    Default

    Tnx for the replies everyone. I thought I was the only one. Hopefully this will be fixed with the official update.
    Thanked by:
    WhoMe 
  11. #11  
    cloak.n.dagger's Avatar

    Posts
    1,087 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,188 Global Posts
    ROM
    Never Stock

    Default

    This is probably why Sprint has pushed back the OTA release date...

    http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-...y-aint-so.html
    Last edited by cloak.n.dagger; 08-02-2010 at 01:40 PM.
    -Stay thirsty my friends.
  12. #12  
    ihbsbA's Avatar

    Posts
    784 Posts
    Global Posts
    798 Global Posts

    Default

    I am confident this is one of the issues they've heard about and will fix, it's too obvious not to.
  13. #13  

    Default

    Can someone help me?? when ever i get an email with a video sent i can play it but no sound.
  14. #14  

    Default

    Yeah I get choppy video also. I have the official .6 update
    Someone should create a poll to see how many people in the forums are having the same problem.
  15. #15  

    Default

    Anyone get a fix for the choppy video?
  16. #16  
    Jamboaz's Avatar

    Posts
    19 Posts
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

    Default

    Better, faster sd card seems to fix it.
  17. #17  

    Default

    Try this : Video - settings - resolution - change settings to a lower resolution - record a video and see how that favors for you.

    *Note*
    Remember that videos can't be sent via messages, unless you change your default Encoding type to H.263.
  18. #18  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rushrl View Post
    Try this : Video - settings - resolution - change settings to a lower resolution - record a video and see how that favors for you.

    *Note*
    Remember that videos can't be sent via messages, unless you change your default Encoding type to H.263.
    That doesn't help anything. If someone wants to record in 720p they should be able to. So far it seems that getting a higher class does fix the problem, tho the actual problem isn't the SD card class. The actual problem is the "read ahead" speed which for some reason is only 4kb. The ROM I use has a fix for it where it increases it from 4kb to 128kb which completely eliminates the problem. I now have a Class 10 so it doesn't matter to me either way.
    How to flash a rom on your htc Evo
    Proud owner of a CR-48--My review of my CR-48

    iPhone > Instinct > Hero > Evo 4G > Evo 3D

    Evo 3D OOWNNSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Twitter

    PS3- SpiderMonkee
  19. #19  
    splmonster's Avatar

    Posts
    1,213 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,446 Global Posts
    ROM
    Changes weekly!

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerzyiroc View Post
    That doesn't help anything. If someone wants to record in 720p they should be able to. So far it seems that getting a higher class does fix the problem, tho the actual problem isn't the SD card class. The actual problem is the "read ahead" speed which for some reason is only 4kb. The ROM I use has a fix for it where it increases it from 4kb to 128kb which completely eliminates the problem. I now have a Class 10 so it doesn't matter to me either way.
    Even the SD association says Class 2 is not and will not record 720p smoothly. I have never in any devices been able to record 720p smoothly at all with a class 2. I have even tried different brands of SD cards because most of them are all different speeds, nothing is ever the exact same. I will argue this point forever, but it has been made clear by many sites and SD themselves that Class 2 is not intended for HD recording. It will playback HD videos smoothly, but will not write it at the speed it needs to stay smooth. Even when I first purchased the Evo it still skipped during 720p recording. So to everyone saying the update caused that, that is completely untrue. The card simply is not fast enough. The facts are there...

    I have also done testing with my Samsung CL80 Digital Camera, and have tried recording 720p video with a class 2, and the same things occur. When you go to playback it skips and is choppy. Stuck in my Class 10 and the issue was gone instantly, same went for my Evo.

    Last edited by splmonster; 01-26-2011 at 05:49 PM.
  20. #20  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by splmonster View Post
    Even the SD association says Class 2 is not and will not record 720p smoothly. I have never in any devices been able to record 720p smoothly at all with a class 2. I have even tried different brands of SD cards because most of them are all different speeds, nothing is ever the exact same. I will argue this point forever, but it has been made clear by many sites and SD themselves that Class 2 is not intended for HD recording. It will playback HD videos smoothly, but will not write it at the speed it needs to stay smooth. Even when I first purchased the Evo it still skipped during 720p recording. So to everyone saying the update caused that, that is completely untrue. The card simply is not fast enough. The facts are there...

    I have also done testing with my Samsung CL80 Digital Camera, and have tried recording 720p video with a class 2, and the same things occur. When you go to playback it skips and is choppy. Stuck in my Class 10 and the issue was gone instantly, same went for my Evo.

    You say this on the thread that people are saying they never had the problem until after the update o_O

    Fact: Evo never had an issue with choppy playback when on 2.1. Never saw a single thread, comment, post, tweet, article or anything about it until after the 2.2 update.

    If the class of the SD card was the issue then ALL Evo's from day 1 would have this issue but like I said........... there was never an issue until AFTER the 2.2 update. You can choose to ignore that fact all you want but its still there.. I also want to add that the Evo compresses the living hell out of the videos when recording 720P which is why it wasn't a problem before. When they made "720p enhancements" with the 2.2 update they decompressed it a bit but didn't increase the read ahead speed which has caused the problems with playback. To get top quality 720P recording with the Evo, then yes, you would need a higher class SD card because you wouldn't be compressing it as much (higher write speed, which btw is why they didnt allow 720P recording with h.264)). But since it was being compressed so much before (remember all the comments when it first came out about the videos looking very compressed) the low read ahead speed and class speed didnt matter. Now that its been decompressed a bit but the read ahead hasn't been changed now its a problem. But the fix is simply to increase the read ahead speed. Like I said, I put my class 2 back in and after enabling the read ahead fix it played back PERFECT..


    I also want to add.... that when playing it back on a computer it's ok... if it was the SD card class then it would playback choppy on the computer too, but it doesn't.
    How to flash a rom on your htc Evo
    Proud owner of a CR-48--My review of my CR-48

    iPhone > Instinct > Hero > Evo 4G > Evo 3D

    Evo 3D OOWNNSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Twitter

    PS3- SpiderMonkee
  21. #21  
    splmonster's Avatar

    Posts
    1,213 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,446 Global Posts
    ROM
    Changes weekly!

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerzyiroc View Post
    You say this on the thread that people are saying they never had the problem until after the update o_O

    Fact: Evo never had an issue with choppy playback when on 2.1. Never saw a single thread, comment, post, tweet, article or anything about it until after the 2.2 update.

    If the class of the SD card was the issue then ALL Evo's from day 1 would have this issue but like I said........... there was never an issue until AFTER the 2.2 update. You can choose to ignore that fact all you want but its still there.. I also want to add that the Evo compresses the living hell out of the videos when recording 720P which is why it wasn't a problem before. When they made "720p enhancements" with the 2.2 update they decompressed it a bit but didn't increase the read ahead speed which has caused the problems with playback. To get top quality 720P recording with the Evo, then yes, you would need a higher class SD card because you wouldn't be compressing it as much (higher write speed, which btw is why they didnt allow 720P recording with h.264)). But since it was being compressed so much before (remember all the comments when it first came out about the videos looking very compressed) the low read ahead speed and class speed didnt matter. Now that its been decompressed a bit but the read ahead hasn't been changed now its a problem. But the fix is simply to increase the read ahead speed. Like I said, I put my class 2 back in and after enabling the read ahead fix it played back PERFECT..


    I also want to add.... that when playing it back on a computer it's ok... if it was the SD card class then it would playback choppy on the computer too, but it doesn't.
    Again my Evo since day 1 and other devices have always skipped after recording a 720p video with a class 2. The SD association speed chart isn't going to lie. I will follow that, especially based on more then one device for me has done this with the class. It's also debunked situation considering when you use a faster class the problem disappears. That should say enough..

    Also on three devices that I have with me. I would transfer the file from my SD to the computer. File would skip in spots during playback. From what I have researched the write speed on a class 2 is not fast enough to write HD content. This fact is also in streaming HD and how much mbits you need to stream it smoothly. Most 720p files I have recorded on my class 10 with my Evo say they are at a 5-6mb bitrate according to the Media Player Classic. Which would explain why the class 2 couldn't write it, since the write speed is 2mb a second on that. So i'm going by my real world testing with multiple brands and classes, across three different devices.

    I'm just going by what the SD association says, and what my testing has showed me. I'm not here to argue about it. Unfortunately for me 720p video recording was never smooth even when I got it the first day.
    Last edited by splmonster; 01-26-2011 at 10:47 PM.
  22. #22  

    Default

    As a follow up, even on the Thunderbolt with a class 4 card video recording is choppy. The genius of forcing THunderbolt users to record on the card instead of internal memory is damning everyone. Thanks Verizon Wireless and HTC for screwing us with implied usage of internal memory on the Thunderbolt.
  23. #23  
    TWC_SouthPhilly's Avatar

    Posts
    647 Posts
    Global Posts
    965 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM9...on both devices

    Default

    WoW... this thread died out like 6 months ago... and was started over a year ago to boot..

    Sent From The Tree House Out Back!
    Devices: Samsung Galaxy SII Epic Touch 4G
    Samsung Galaxy10.1 16gb, Wifi
  24. #24  
    djjeffa's Avatar

    Posts
    106 Posts
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts

    Default Re: Choppy video playback with froyo

    ok im scared to root but seems i have no choice where could i find the rom to fix the "read ahead" ?
    Thanks
    get in da mix
  25. #25  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by djjeffa View Post
    ok im scared to root but seems i have no choice where could i find the rom to fix the "read ahead" ?
    Thanks
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

B