Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    BigRick10's Avatar

    Posts
    1,163 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,158 Global Posts
    ROM
    The 1 with the GEEBEES

    Default Official Froyo Rooted

    Knew it wouldn't take long.



    Sent from my HTC EVO using Tapatalk
  2. #2  
    ChaosShadow's Avatar

    Posts
    228 Posts
    Global Posts
    415 Global Posts
    ROM
    Absinthe JB 5.1.1

    Default

    Just flashed this along with the updated radios. So far so good!
    Left Android for the Darkside...
    Yes. I'm a proud owner of an iPhone 5S. Please don't hurt me

    If I've helped in anyway... kindly show your appreciation by clicking that lovely "Thanks" button below ------------------------------------------↓
  3. #3  

    Default

    i have the OTA update from today but i want root how would i go abt that??? (i have never rooted my phone or anything so yes im new at all this
  4. #4  
    ChaosShadow's Avatar

    Posts
    228 Posts
    Global Posts
    415 Global Posts
    ROM
    Absinthe JB 5.1.1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by l1ttl3z View Post
    i have the OTA update from today but i want root how would i go abt that??? (i have never rooted my phone or anything so yes im new at all this
    Someone will have to find a new root method for this update. AFAIK, there isn't one yet.

    At this point, the only way to root would be to flash the 1.32 or 1.47 RUU, then root the phone. Once you've rooted, you can then flash any ROM you'd like
    Last edited by ChaosShadow; 08-03-2010 at 03:36 PM. Reason: added info
    Left Android for the Darkside...
    Yes. I'm a proud owner of an iPhone 5S. Please don't hurt me

    If I've helped in anyway... kindly show your appreciation by clicking that lovely "Thanks" button below ------------------------------------------↓
  5. #5  
    yahtzee's Avatar

    Posts
    111 Posts
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts

    Default

    really wish I wasnt three weeks into Android and could sit down and get this new root loaded....i did the leaked 2.2 update and am realizing that going back to 2.1 and going to the OTA 2.2 isnt that good of an idea.
  6. #6  
    b0ricua's Avatar

    Posts
    214 Posts
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    ROM
    MikG 2.56/Freedom 0.9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChaosShadow View Post
    Someone will have to find a new root method for this update. AFAIK, there isn't one yet.

    At this point, the only way to root would be to flash the 1.32 or 1.47 RUU, then root the phone. Once you've rooted, you can then flash any ROM you'd like
    My understanding is that since you've accepted the OTA, there is no way to flash backwards...
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  
    BigRick10's Avatar

    Posts
    1,163 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,158 Global Posts
    ROM
    The 1 with the GEEBEES

    Default Re: Official Froyo Rooted

    Quote Originally Posted by b0ricua View Post
    My understanding is that since you've accepted the OTA, there is no way to flash backwards...
    Correct

    Sent from my HTC EVO using Tapatalk
  8. #8  

    Default

    hmm is that device specific? I read another article on here for the droid x that I thought mentioned how it recognized unofficial roms and would not boot, but would allow you to flash an official rom back on. I'm trying to understand if the flashing is wiping the previous flash or not, but it would seem that would be very bad for developers since you would be flashing a new updated and possibly working rom over a known bad one at times. although i'm sure there would be some other form of formatting the memory.
  9. #9  
    yahtzee's Avatar

    Posts
    111 Posts
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigRick10 View Post
    Correct

    Sent from my HTC EVO using Tapatalk
    at all?
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  
    BigRick10's Avatar

    Posts
    1,163 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,158 Global Posts
    ROM
    The 1 with the GEEBEES

    Default Re: Official Froyo Rooted

    Quote Originally Posted by skribbles505 View Post
    hmm is that device specific? I read another article on here for the droid x that I thought mentioned how it recognized unofficial roms and would not boot, but would allow you to flash an official rom back on. I'm trying to understand if the flashing is wiping the previous flash or not, but it would seem that would be very bad for developers since you would be flashing a new updated and possibly working rom over a known bad one at times. although i'm sure there would be some other form of formatting the memory.
    This is for users who are already rooted and want the official update with super user abilities. The Droid X has an encrypted bootloader so it can not install custom roms.

    Quote Originally Posted by yahtzee View Post
    at all?
    Not yet and maybe never. Up to the developers.


    Sent from my HTC EVO using Tapatalk
  11. #11  

    Default

    This plus his kernel = awesome!
  12. #12  
    checo446's Avatar

    Posts
    7 Posts
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aznmode View Post
    This plus his kernel = awesome!
    what's cool about his kernel? And do you have a link?

    I just flashed his ROM, so far looks like I am upgraded to 2.2 from Unrevoked3...
  13. #13  

    Default Very annoying

    Quote Originally Posted by l1ttl3z View Post
    i have the OTA update from today but i want root how would i go abt that??? (i have never rooted my phone or anything so yes im new at all this
    This is frustrating for me. Every time Android central reports on a new update they make it sound so awesome and MOST times (NOT ALL) they seem to skip over the OTA boning you on root. With all the new Android converts we are getting everyday the writers of Android Central should be putting a great big DO NOT OTA IF YOU WANT TO ROOT! On every new OTA update they report on. We are taking for granted everyone reading these blogs have been around and know what is going on. Well they dont, and with the number of new Android owners we are getting everyday we are going to have a large number of people doing an uninformed OTA only to find that they are boned on rooting.
  14. #14  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stoneworrior View Post
    This is frustrating for me. Every time Android central reports on a new update they make it sound so awesome and MOST times (NOT ALL) they seem to skip over the OTA boning you on root. With all the new Android converts we are getting everyday the writers of Android Central should be putting a great big DO NOT OTA IF YOU WANT TO ROOT! On every new OTA update they report on. We are taking for granted everyone reading these blogs have been around and know what is going on. Well they dont, and with the number of new Android owners we are getting everyday we are going to have a large number of people doing an uninformed OTA only to find that they are boned on rooting.
    +1
    Im one of the un-informed installing 2.2 browser crash out of control and stuck cant do a thing about it.
    Would that be the case if more of a heads up was put on root before OTA?
    NO
    Anyway Im sol
  15. #15  

    Default

    iPhone-dev team warns people constantly, often before it is even released as a beta. People still screw it up. I doubt Android central putting a warning in rainbow colors would even get their attention.
  16. #16  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NakkiNyan View Post
    iPhone-dev team warns people constantly, often before it is even released as a beta. People still screw it up. I doubt Android central putting a warning in rainbow colors would even get their attention.
    It would of got my attention if sticky was placed at top giving more info.
    Something like 'Important !!! - Root or not to root" providing info pros & cons of doing so.
    Its Not a rainbow but more of a attention getter then currently present.

    My cry session is now done
    Last edited by slingbox; 08-04-2010 at 01:56 PM.
  17. #17  
    yahtzee's Avatar

    Posts
    111 Posts
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts

    Default

    Surely, the ability to root those devices that applied the leaked 2.2 upgrade has to be in the works.

Posting Permissions

B