2.2 update and Pandora/Slacker quality.

CamaroHutch

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Any one else notice a degradation in sound quality from Pandora and Slacker radio so.ce the 2.2 upgrade? It seems to be quite a difference to me on both settings.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Listened to slacker on the way to work this morning. Noticed nothing different quality or volume-wise (although I was listening to a stand up comedy station, not music)

Droid-One

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Pandora sounds horrible since the update. I'm glad I'm not the only one. I have the .3 update and now seeing some issues with the .6. We will have to wait for an update to hopefully fix the problem.

Caitlyn McKenzie

May 17, 2010
Visit site
The sound quality has dropped from 2.1 to 2.2. No debating needed. This is due to a change in the AAC decoder used. The new one in 2.2 is necessary for HTML5 video and such (think m.youtube.com) but does not fully support the streaming AAC that Pandora/Slacker uses.

There's no guaranteed fix yet, but some experimentation going on with backporting the old one (Which breaks the HTML5 support).

robber

Oct 2, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the link.

For anyone curious the problem has been identified as a poor encoder for AAC files and streams. Applying the fix will restore sound quality with both Pandora and Sirius/XM app but may affect the ability to play some streams. You need to be rooted.

Pandora is aware of the problem and are working on a fix. I am going to give them a few days before I do anything on my own. Even as it is now, the high quality feed available in the app setting sounds okay to me.

olsonn

May 11, 2010
Visit site
For me:

Slacker: Lower base volume (which is fine with me - it was too loud before). Same audio quality.

Pandora: Significantly worse audio quality. Same volume.

scoobdude

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I have noticed both the skips, lower quality and random skipping to the next song. I also cannot get my radio to pause it anymore. So when I get out of the car the music starts back up on speaker. Uggg

CEaton

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Looks like you need to be rooted for the fix. Any hope for us unrooted folks? I'm still waiting for an updated unrevoked for froyo.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalkd

YBCold

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Not sure if anyone has checked, but it seems to me that after the update I had to go into Pandora and change the settings to high quality again. This definitely helped a bit but not as good as it was. Still, everyone may want to check this setting.

RayStinkle

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
This is already covered in the nexus forums for froyo. Google changed audio and there is a build.prop edit which changes the quality back to good quality. It's over at xda. It effects all streaming audio apps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non