USB Tethering with EVO and Froyo not working

drudawg

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
I am having problems getting the USB Tethering to work. I choose USB Tethering when connecting the USB cable to the PC but I get an error when trying to turn it on in the Wireless & Network settings. Gives me the message "Unable to turn on." I have tried it with and without USB Debugging on. Has anyone been able to get this feature to work?

werx

Banned
Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
Using Cyanogen rom you can do it without having to pay for PDANET pro or Easytether and best of all its built in. Works on everything. Root your phone!

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
Using Cyanogen rom you can do it without having to pay for PDANET pro or Easytether and best of all its built in. Works on everything. Root your phone!

Some people are not comfortable rooting the phone. They don't know how, or don't want problems, or don't want to invalidate support, or don't want to be stuck without updates, or don't know which one, or are afraid of damaging the phone. There are lots of reasons NOT to root.

I have also seen nothing to indicate that PDANET nor Easytether even work on Evo with 2.2. Even if they did, they require proprietary software on the computer side (which is annoying).

Looks to me like Sprint has disabled USB tethering, even though it was my understanding that we would be allowed to do it. I thought I read that Sprint would charge for the multiuser WiFi hotspot, but would allow single user USB tether at no extra charge.

Last edited:

dwilli

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Some people are not comfortable rooting the phone. They don't know how, or don't want problems, or don't want to invalidate support, or don't want to be stuck without updates, or don't know which one, or are afraid of damaging the phone. There are lots of reasons NOT to root.

I have also seen nothing to indicate that PDANET nor Easytether even work on Evo with 2.2. Even if they did, they require proprietary software on the computer side (which is annoying).

Looks to me like Sprint has disabled USB tethering, even though it was my understanding that we would be allowed to do it. I thought I read that Sprint would charge for the multiuser WiFi hotspot, but would allow single user USB tether at no extra charge.

Trying not to sound like a Sprint defender but I can't believe they'd give the ok to tether when they charge $30 to do that. And I've NEVER read anywhere that it's OK with single user but not for multiuser. I paid $60 on a bb with a broadband card. With the Evo I eliminated that seperate line and pay $30 for the same unlimited internet. I don't miss phone calls, it just temporarily stops internet then resumes when I hang up.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
Trying not to sound like a Sprint defender but I can't believe they'd give the ok to tether when they charge $30 to do that. And I've NEVER read anywhere that it's OK with single user but not for multiuser. I paid $60 on a bb with a broadband card. With the Evo I eliminated that seperate line and pay $30 for the same unlimited internet. I don't miss phone calls, it just temporarily stops internet then resumes when I hang up.

I completely understand where you are coming from. Although there is a difference- mainly that the potential for bandwidth use is much higher with multiuser wifi vs. singleuser usb. But I suppose it was to be expected that it would all be blocked. There are some rare occasions where I could benefit from tethering (4 times a year?). I don't use much data anyway, so tethering in my case would be negligible. And at $80/mo, I already pay through the nose (and with no 4G in this area anyway). But there are people who would certainly abuse it. So I both agree and disagree with Sprint's supposed view on it.

I wish I could remember what I read, and where. Oh well, I suppose it doesn't matter anyway.

pckocher

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
I thought this was going to work, too (USB tether to one computer, without having to pay $30 mobile hotspot fee, and without having to install PDANet or EasyTether).

Any authoritative info on whether I should expect the built-in USB tethering to work this way would be appreciated.

Caitlyn McKenzie

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Sprint has never, ever said tethering would work without a plan addon in Froyo.

In fact, it was expected that it would be disabled, as 2.1 also had HTC's USB tether disabled the same way. No reason for it to suddenly change now.

Jfscars48

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
I am shocked/disappointed at the cavalier attitude regarding "stealing" from Sprint. If you want to tether you pay extra. Pretty simple. Do you also steal software by copying your friend's ?

serverfull

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
Actually for BB you only play 10 dollars extra to tether..not 30. Also we as evo users are paying the 10 bucks extra anyway. I think you have a miss understanding of Stealing sir.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
FWIW, EasyTether works fine with 2.2 (was just using it yesterday). Just using the free version, which of course has a few drawbacks, like not allowing https, but for most things it works fine. If I need the additional stuff, I'll pay for it.

I have never been able to tether without it.

My understanding was the extra charge is for wireless tethering, and USB tethering is allowed. Not sure on that though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781