Change the CDMA Roaming code

marksr#AC

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Okay- I'm not sure if this was in settings before 2.2- never noticed it before and I'm wondering if it's Sprint's way of replacing the *#*#4636#*#* code that was disabled- or completely unrelated.
If you go to settings-->wireless & networks -->mobile networks-->Roaming (change the CDMA roaming code)----> you now have the option for "automatic" or "sprint only"-

" Automatic" is set by default-

Anyone have any idea if this has anything to do with the GSM vs CDMA preferred network setting that could previously be changed with the *#*#4636#*#* code?

(If this setting was always there- in the immortal words of Emily Litella- "Never Mind".....)

Thanks-

Mark

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
it wont because its checked by default and people still having issue. But I believe this option was in 2.1 anyway as I can swear I have seen it before

didn't 2.1 allegedly have GSM checked by default and users had to manually change it to CDMA for alleged better battery life?

hence if 2.2 puts it on CDMA by default by default users will have allegedly better battery life?

PM-Performance

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Correct in that sense, but not sure that function does what you are reffering to it doing.
I am positive I saw it in 2.1 and was set on the same default.
I think this function is purely to disable the function of roaming though and not the type of network to look for.
I could be wrong though.

scrubcst

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
yeah. ill have to agree on that. it was there before. and I don't think also that it switches between gsm or cdma. but that would be nice

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

RocketJeff

May 19, 2010
Visit site
didn't 2.1 allegedly have GSM checked by default and users had to manually change it to CDMA for alleged better battery life?

I saw several posts where people said their evo's were set to GSM, but I checked both mine & my wife's and both were set for CDMA. I'm not convinced it was a real issue for battery life since the evo doesn't have a GSM radio (unless another carrier decided to carry it).

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Always been there...

Automatic means you will roam on other CDMA providers
Sprint Only means you will not roam off of the Sprint PCS network

he is right. Roaming meant other CDMA carriers. The device does not have a GSM Chipset in it. Its a CDMA device and thats all it can work with.
Well CDMA, WiMAx, WiFi. :)

androidvirgin

May 17, 2010
Visit site
FYI: Everything Data plans includes "America - Roaming Included". Double FYI: Sprint's definition of America is the United States only. A little insulting to those that live in Canada, Central and South America, and misleading to those of us that work there.

ps: The setting you are referring to was definitely set to Automatic by default in 2.1