From HTC Regard the "Leaked" 2.2 Version!

TeePoppa

May 4, 2010
Visit site
Below is the reply I received from HTC regarding the update for us that installed the leaked version:

Dear HTC Customer,

I do understand how important it is to be able to receive the official update to FroYo rather than the unofficial one that you installed. The official update is actually available, however with the unofficial version that you have on your device the update will not come through. We have actually worked with Sprint on this to determine the best process to help you and others that have installed the "leaked" version. It has been determined that the best way to proceed would be for you to take your phone to your nearest Sprint Service Center. They are best equipped to help you by rolling the software back to the old version, and from there you should be able to receive the update as normal.

Sincerely,

Philip

HTC

***So I guess another question would be for any one in the forum, does anyone know how to roll the software back to the old version?

Edge767

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Wow... this is complete BS. The last thing in the world I want to do is let them mess up my phone. My experience with the Sprint Service Centers is not so good.

stolirocks

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
No one jumped the gun. Sprint stated that the update was going to be released as a download earlier for those that wish to manually update. And Sprint listed .3 as latest version on the 30th. There was no reason not to apply the .3. It was on HTC's site. They messed up. Period.

Sent from my EVO 4G using Tapatalk

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
No one jumped the gun. Sprint stated that the update was going to be released as a download earlier for those that wish to manually update. And Sprint listed .3 as latest version on the 30th. There was no reason not to apply the .3. It was on HTC's site. They messed up. Period.

Sent from my EVO 4G using Tapatalk

Sprint actually mentioned the first, then it was later found out they released it the night of the 2nd. The 30th were just rumors and never officially confirmed.

androidian

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
They leaked the release on their own website. No reason why they can't make these phones take the OTA update, unless they think its such a small amount of phones that they think its not cost effective to make a few people happy.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Roll back from 2.2 version .3 to 2.1 and then do an upgrade to 2.2 version .6 and then later in the month or early September Sprint rolls out a special .7 or .8 version for all the people still on .3..... Then all the people with .6 will start threads "What's the difference between .6 and .7" and "How do I go from .6 to .7" and then "Can I roll back to 2.1 and then manually update to .3 so that I can OTA to .7"

Please.... it's all the same.. The Froyo 2.2 build for the Motorola Droid line of phones at Verizon will be totally different than the Froyo 2.2 build for Sprint and the EVO and I am sure when the Epic comes out and gets upgraded to 2.2 it won't be the same build number either... If it works it works.... Leave it alone....

There is nothing wrong and probably nothing different between the .3 and .6 builds...

Stop with the Build Envy and get over it..... I updated on Friday to the .3 build and it works great.... It also does every thing Sprint and HTC said it would do when they had their press release on 7.30...... It also does every thing Google said it would do.... It's a minor update.... Good lord.... "MOST" of us who did the manual update on 7.30 were bragging that we got Froyo first and now just because of a stupid little number being slight different and higher than the build we got Friday these people for some god unknown reason feel left out of some thing?

I got a friend who has an EVO on the .6 build as he wasn't willing to flash it on Friday... I played with his phone Monday and he played with mine... Neither of us could find a difference.... IT'S THE SAME THING PEOPLE!!!!

Why some are acting like they got Gingerbread 3.0 on Sunday/Monday/Tuesday while those who updated on Friday Manually are stuck on Froyo 2.2..... If any difference between Friday and Monday it's minimal at best.... Just enjoy what you got....

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Roll back from 2.2 version .3 to 2.1 and then do an upgrade to 2.2 version .6 and then later in the month or early September Sprint rolls out a special .7 or .8 version for all the people still on .3..... Then all the people with .6 will start threads "What's the difference between .6 and .7" and "How do I go from .6 to .7" and then "Can I roll back to 2.1 and then manually update to .3 so that I can OTA to .7"

Please.... it's all the same.. The Froyo 2.2 build for the Motorola Droid line of phones at Verizon will be totally different than the Froyo 2.2 build for Sprint and the EVO and I am sure when the Epic comes out and gets upgraded to 2.2 it won't be the same build number either... If it works it works.... Leave it alone....

There is nothing wrong and probably nothing different between the .3 and .6 builds...

Stop with the Build Envy and get over it..... I updated on Friday to the .3 build and it works great.... It also does every thing Sprint and HTC said it would do when they had their press release on 7.30...... It also does every thing Google said it would do.... It's a minor update.... Good lord.... "MOST" of us who did the manual update on 7.30 were bragging that we got Froyo first and now just because of a stupid little number being slight different and higher than the build we got Friday these people for some god unknown reason feel left out of some thing?

I got a friend who has an EVO on the .6 build as he wasn't willing to flash it on Friday... I played with his phone Monday and he played with mine... Neither of us could find a difference.... IT'S THE SAME THING PEOPLE!!!!

Why some are acting like they got Gingerbread 3.0 on Sunday/Monday/Tuesday while those who updated on Friday Manually are stuck on Froyo 2.2..... If any difference between Friday and Monday it's minimal at best.... Just enjoy what you got....

There is a difference. For one my leaked version is a mess and is getting worse by the hour. Also if we can't get the official version because it can't recognize the version we have then how are we supposed to get future updates?

d.vann10

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site

I haven't even gotten the chance to update yet, but that was very well said.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
There is a difference. For one my leaked version is a mess and is getting worse by the hour. Also if we can't get the official version because it can't recognize the version we have then how are we supposed to get future updates?

I updated on Friday and my Froyo 2.2 version .3 works great. I have not had a single problem what so ever.

How do you know that you won't have the same issues on the .6/OFFICIAL update that you now have on the unofficial update??? After spending the weekend watching these boards and testing my phone vs some of the issues people have stated I have had none of those issues...

Hard to say with the official release if it's better or worse with the complaints because it SEEMS like more people are having issues with the official build but my guess is there is EASILY 50% more people who use that build and waited for an OTA vs Manual update that we did Friday...... Most people were not comfortable with the steps it took to do it manually (It took me 4 hours to decide to do it after I downloaded the file because I was scared to brick my phone)

Sprints support page on Friday and part of Saturday listed the .3 update as the "OFFICIAL" upgrade they were going to release and then some time Saturday that was removed from their support page.....

The differences between .3 and .6 are minimal at best.....

madeagain#AC

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I was on the .3 version and I was having a ton of lag... I called HTC they even denied the .3 update was on their servers. He told me they only do OTA updates and I must be mistaken. He told me to call Sprint. Sprint told me to go to a tech center and have them "manually load" the software... The Sprint tech says "huh?, nope I have to give you a new phone. We cant roll back your software".

In regards to their not being much diffference between .3 and .6 I have to say after using both versions .6 is definitely snappier... no lag especially in messaging. But I am by no means an expert.

freddyc

May 6, 2010
Visit site
My wife has the white Evo from Best Buy, and she did the OTA while I did the manual update. Honestly ... I can't see a difference. My phone moves just as fast as hers, I don't see any options that are different, our 4G signal was the same strength ... I'm just not seeing a bit of difference here. My only concern is future updates; you would think that they would code the OTA to look for a version number that isn't the latest and do the upgrade, but it seems as though they search for a specific version number and do it that way. That means future updates we won't be able to get. Why they just won't put it on their servers for us to load manually like we did this one I don't understand. It would make the most sense and would be the fastest way to get everyone on the same version ...

rkeen

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I just spoke to my sprint store. He is downloading the fix right now from Sprint to roll back my phone to the 1.47 version. If he will give me the file I'll give it to everyone here. Will save sprint a lot of time, and us!

TeePoppa

May 4, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I spoke to the Sprint Service Center near my house here in Katy, TX and they were aware of the situation and said that it only taks 15 to 20 minutes to complete the rollback and then you just doing the OTA as normal. He told me to come in and I could wait there for him to do it real quick.

TeePoppa

May 4, 2010
Visit site
couldnt we just do the same thing the guys do when they root there phone and go back to stock? like this thread HERE

I had tried that method and was unsuccessful. The best bet if you want to go up to .6 is just to take your phone to a Sprint store that first of all is aware of the situation and knows exactly how it is to be fixed. But if someone gets a hold of that master reset ROM they received from HTC that rolls anything on the phone back to 2.1, please post it and save me the drive...lol!!

feet

May 20, 2010
Visit site
the latest root for simple root is for the OTA 1.47.651.1 so they would have to wait for a working exploit to root it in the first place then do all of that listed in the thread.

and there is a small chance of bricking the phone when rooting but i am sure that chance is there when you apply any patch or upgrade OTA. you also need a little patience for when it doesnt work and you may have to figure out how to make it work yourself but thats part of the fun.

ljm42

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Sprint actually mentioned the first, then it was later found out they released it the night of the 2nd. The 30th were just rumors and never officially confirmed.

Actually this page still lists .3 as the official version: Support - Article

On top of that (they updated it AUG 4), but on Friday it DID say that the release date was the 30th.

I upgraded, and have zero problems, but when I did I was under the impression it was the real deal. Sprint's own site mentioned the version name with the release date as Friday (and had told us that it would be available for manual dl), and that EXACT version shows up on the HTC official site. Why wouldn't we think that was the early download link?

There were absolutely a couple hours there where no one knew that this wasn't the official early download of the software that was going to be pushed OTA on Tuesday.

TeePoppa

May 4, 2010
Visit site
This is on Sprint's site right now!!

How funny is this:

Support - Article Updated: Aug 04, 2010

Just like your computer, your phone's software needs to be updated periodically to make sure you have all the latest fixes and enhancements to keep it running at optimal performance. Follow the steps below to check your current version and perform any needed updates.

Version History

Current Version: 3.26.651.3

Version
Date released
Description of enhancements/fixes

3.26.651.3 8/3/2010 This update offers:
- Ability to share applications
- Display events and birthdays from Facebook on Calendar
- Use camera LED as flashlight
- New user interface for the FM radio
- Add unknown users in Facebook as friends in Friend Stream
- Photo Gallery supports Facebook comments function
- Send contact as vCard using SMS
- Addition of MMS slideshow editor
- New pre-loaded widgets including Calculator, FM radio, Message list view, Profile settings and Ringtone settings
- Camcorder can use camera flash so video can be shot at night or in low light
- Flash 10.1 support
- Numeric PIN and alpha-numeric passwords to unlock screen
- Search widget and search bar able to switch to search in different types (web, specific application, or all)
- Adjustable alarm volume
- Android Market widget allows installation of applications on SD card
1.47.651.1 6/28/2010 This upgrade offers:
- Improvements to Wi-Fi performance
- Exchange Active Sync improvements, including fix to issues with new account setup, PIN policy usage and Exchange Calendar 2010 Sync
- Addresses Facebook sync issue which can improve battery performance

6/4/2010
Initial Release

Check the version on your phone

To find the software version on your HTC EVO™ 4G:

Go to the Home screen
Tap Menu > Settings > About phone > Software Information
The build number and software number show the current version on your phone

Update your software

To update your EVO over the air:

Go to the Home screen
Tap Menu > Settings > System updates > HTC software update
Your EVO will automatically download and install any available updates. You may need to power your phone off and back on to complete the software upgrade.

**Sorry about the repost ljm42 bet me to it**

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463