Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Why does Froyo look like the 2.1 interface on the Evo?

    So I was all excited for my buddy to get his Froyo update (I'm the sad owner of the long-forgotten Incredible), he finally got his OTA and showed me this morning.

    It doesn't look right at all. It looks like the default sense interface, none of the 2.2 icons are on the bottom of the screen, it doesn't seem that anything has changed at all. I checked his settings and about phone to verify that the version was indeed 2.2, low and behold it was.

    So what's the deal? Is this normal? Did Evo get some dumbed down version of the Froyo update or am I missing something here?
  2. #2  
    splmonster's Avatar

    Posts
    1,213 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,446 Global Posts
    ROM
    Changes weekly!

    Default

    It's just because of Sense, HTC did not change the icons or skin.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by splmonster View Post
    It's just because of Sense, HTC did not change the icons or skin.
    So if he disables sense will it get the default 2.2 look?

    My buddy rooted his incredible (which has sense), put Froyo on it, and the launcher looks like the default Froyo we have all been salivating over. This is why I was confused when I saw the Evo launcher hadn't changed.

    I guess maybe the Incredible ditched the Sense UI in the unofficial Froyo release due to the whole root thing?
  4. #4  
    SdotJ's Avatar

    Posts
    203 Posts
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7

    Default

    Are you sure your friend wasn't running a launcher? Froyo was supposed to be a more behind the scenes enhancement than a full fledged visible change with sense that is .
  5. #5  

    Default

    Froyo wasn't supposed to get Amy big or even small visual UI enhancements
  6. #6  
    splmonster's Avatar

    Posts
    1,213 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,446 Global Posts
    ROM
    Changes weekly!

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wavechaser View Post
    So if he disables sense will it get the default 2.2 look?

    My buddy rooted his incredible (which has sense), put Froyo on it, and the launcher looks like the default Froyo we have all been salivating over. This is why I was confused when I saw the Evo launcher hadn't changed.

    I guess maybe the Incredible ditched the Sense UI in the unofficial Froyo release due to the whole root thing?
    No Sense cannot be fully disabled. Basically how HTC phones work is with official updates and software, they skin everything and don't give the option for vanilla Android. It sucks.. But there are ways around it, like using LauncherPro or ADW and both of those can look like Froyo and can change the icons.

    Once the official update drops for the Incredible it will look just like the Evo. Again because it's a HTC device and they run Sense UI over Android. It will always be there, unless you root to a Vanilla Froyo or use another launcher with icon change.
  7. #7  

    Default

    Hey guys. Once the OTA hits for the Incredible, will the updates only work when running Sense? I'm on LauncherPro right now, and as far as I know, Froyo Sense doesn't let you stack 5 apps vertically and without titles, or place 5 shortcuts on the launch bar (I could be wrong about that, I've been doing the best research I can without asking questions but I'm still coming up short.), which I can't really go without now. I just love it too much. Basically, once updated, can I still use LauncherPro and get most of the benefits from 2.2? And will flash and the faster browser speed work on xScope or Dolphin, or only with the stock browser?
  8. #8  
    2CupsWithString's Avatar
    passionately curious

    Posts
    2,812 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,825 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spaceboy View Post
    Hey guys. Once the OTA hits for the Incredible, will the updates only work when running Sense? I'm on LauncherPro right now, and as far as I know, Froyo Sense doesn't let you stack 5 apps vertically and without titles, or place 5 shortcuts on the launch bar (I could be wrong about that, I've been doing the best research I can without asking questions but I'm still coming up short.), which I can't really go without now. I just love it too much. Basically, once updated, can I still use LauncherPro and get most of the benefits from 2.2? And will flash and the faster browser speed work on xScope or Dolphin, or only with the stock browser?
    Yes, you can use Launcher Pro on the OTA FroYo update.

    Yes flash should work in Dolphin.

    The faster browser speed will actually be a faster overall phone speed as the JIT re-compiles every app before it's process.
  9. #9  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wavechaser View Post
    It doesn't look right at all. It looks like the default sense interface
    Sense is the right (as in correct, not best) look. All HTC phones with Android use Sense as their GUI regardless of Android version.

    If you want the stock froyo look, you need to install the stock ROM.

Posting Permissions

B