Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    20 Global Posts

Default Battery Won't Charge

I had a EVO that would NOT charge, but would just blink orange then green then orange then green. I had used the charger for a few days prior without a problem, but it did do the orange/green blink on my first day (a week ago).

Back History

Day One - Sunday Night.
    Intermittent orange-green blink pattren.
    Charge all night on a Belkin USB charger for a IPod, 1 amp, 5v output.
    This charger has worked on my Ipod, HTC Touch, HTC Touch Pro, and Palm Pre.

In the morning it has 30% battery left.
    Charge it using the EVO charger, and do the battery calibration routine.

Monday ok.

Tuesday upgrade to 2.2 and get to downloading apps, including the HTC battery widget.

Wed. Ok

Thursday, runs great all day, heavy usage.

Using the Belkin IPOD adapter.
    Thursday night - battery at 35% and I want to see how much is left so I turn off Wifi, turn on 4g, and start downloading about 600-800 megs of podcasts just to drain the battery. 1hr later I get it 15%. Put it on the charger and get the orange-green blink again. When I run the HTC batt Widget, it says "Overheat" 43xxmv (don't remember the exact mv) with a temp of -57c !! Remove the charger, batt ok, temp 30-35c, plug in the charger "Overheat", 43xxmv, -57c!. Sometimes it will say 0.-7c. Won't take a charge whatever I try. Power it down with the power button, then remove the battery. Put the battery back in, turn it on, and now it says 100% charged! Even stranger. I KNOW the battery is close to dead and still won't charge.

At 95% I plug it in and get the orange green blink. Still says overheat with 43xxmv and a temp of -57c. I can use it and over the next 5 min, the batt goes from 95% to 85%, and then shuts off without any warning. Powered off it still will not take a charge from the Belkin Adapter. Also get the orange-green lights when I try to charge via USB on my computer. I gather everything up and figure a trip to exchange/return it necessary.

In my car I have a 12v to 120v inverter, and my 120v to 5v, 1amp Palm Pre HOUSE charger. Plug the dead EVO into it and it blinks orange for a few minuets, then changes to a steady orange and is taking a charge. A 45min drive later it is still a steady orange. Get to my destination, leave it turned off, take my EVO and the official HTC EVO house charger inside and let it charge for 15min. Turn it on still hooked up to the HTC charger and it powers on and shows a 65% charge and still charging.

Thinking back a few days, I remember seeing this article in slashdot. Slashdot | Hardware Hackers Reveal Apple's Charger Secrets
    Hmmmm maybe those extra resistors are confusing the charging circuity? I really don't know, other then the belkin adapter seems to be the source of the problem.

I finally get it to 100% and a steady green light.
    Do the power off, unplug and plug in to recalibrate the battery and charger.
    Current battery statics (no pun intended)
    Batt 100%
    Temp 30.7c
    Mv 4135
    Status Full

I'll post an update if I still have batt problems, but for now I just want to post, and see if anyone else has problems with a 3rd party charger.

Paul
    lvdata

Global Posts
    1,188 Global Posts
    ROM
    Never Stock

I'm not having any problems with 3rd party chargers. I had a bunch of extra Palm PRE chargers that work perfectly for my EVO.
    -Stay thirsty my friends.

I have a charger from a Samsung phone that works perfectly, and some no-name AC to USB adapter that also works fine. T'would appear the Belkin's not compatible, but I can't tell you why.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

LG G3 on Sprint. [Stumped and Bumped, Debloated, Startup apps managed, Trickster, Nova Prime, Swiftkey, G3 Tweakbox]--> Runs smooth as silk, now.

The orange+green blinking means your EVO's battery is overheating, and will refuse to charge when it is in that state so as to avoid things like battery explosion. Note that when it is in this state, the EVO often will get confused as to the actual battery power remaining (And thus will report a full charge when it's nowhere near). Typically unplugging, letting it run off battery, and then plugging it back in will fix that.

It's not hard to make this happen if you run Pandora+Google Nav at the same time (with Nav active). Get an app like SystemPanel and watch your battery's temperature. You want to try and keep it under 45C to avoid the overheating issue.

If your EVO is not running any apps, use that SystemPanel and make sure there isn't some rogue app in the background devouring your CPU and making it run hot.

If THAT is not the case, then consider exchanging it, as it might be a faulty EVO/battery.