Wifi not connecting to my home net

webby_s#AC

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
So obviously I have my Evo's Wifi on while I am at home since my home network is much faster then 3g. Well this morning I woke up and it said I have an open network available on the notification bar.... I thought what did a neighbor get new wifi or something. So I looked and saw I was on 3g and my own network was available. I was confused so I said connect to my network.
It wouldn't connect. Checked the laptop, everthing fine and dandy on that end of things. But the Evo just wouldn't connect to my home WiFi. I am at work now and it's connecting to works just fine and the home wifi works fine and my other components.

Confused, I am

Thoughts.

PS I didn't restart my router since everything else works fine.

Primetimeplaya

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
My Evo acts just as odd but in a different way....

I have allowed my Evo onto my network but it will only connect when I'm broadcasting the SSID. If I make it invisible, the Evo tells me that it's remembered but out of range.

I'm like......What Tha....I'm sitting like 10 feet from my router. None of my laptops, Wii, PS3, etc do that. Once they are allowed onto the network, they will connect automatically.

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Okay, forget your home network... go to Wireless and Networks --> tap and hold the network --> delete it.

Make a new network.
Enter the name and the password security type (WPE, WAP PSK, etc)
SCROLL DOWN and enter your password (often forgotten step)

Tap and hold the network and hit connect.

@Primetimeplaya : Hit menu and scan if it doesn't find your network from the start... or says it is out of range.
Also check advanced settings for your wifi sleep policy (I use never) and check if you need to change something (usually you shouldn't...)

Hope that helps.

walterwood44

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
The only way I have been able to connect to my wireless router is to reboot the router. My laptop does not need this, only our two Evos. No problems before 2.2.

Primetimeplaya

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
@Primetimeplaya : Hit menu and scan if it doesn't find your network from the start... or says it is out of range.
Also check advanced settings for your wifi sleep policy (I use never) and check if you need to change something (usually you shouldn't...)

Hope that helps.

Sleep policy is set to Never. I also hit Scan and it brought up my network. I even removed the network from the phone and added it again. Worked fine as long as the ssid was open but says it was out of range when I hid the ssid.

Anyone else have this problem?

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I also can not connect my EVO to my router when my SSID is not broadcast. My Wii also has problems reliably connecting without broadcasting my SSID.

Currently I run my 802.11n router broadcasting SSID, but using the MAC filter and a WPA/PSK encryption.

Primetimeplaya

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
I also can not connect my EVO to my router when my SSID is not broadcast. My Wii also has problems reliably connecting without broadcasting my SSID.

Currently I run my 802.11n router broadcasting SSID, but using the MAC filter and a WPA/PSK encryption.

I see i'm not the only one with this problem but oddly enough, it seems that most haven't run into this. I'm sure it's not just you and me.

dpg

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
i had the same problem with mine before the 2.2 update. you would not reconnect to any wireless network after leaving it. even had trouble connecting to it when i you force a connect. 2.2 fixed that for me

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to have to eat my words now, because I just turned off the SSID broadcast and my EVO was able to pick up the signal and connect to it. I did go into the Wireless & networks settings and manually enter the SSID for a new network and then it connected.

jnadelman

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm having similar issues since 2.2 It sees the network but fails to get an ip address and connect. It just keeps trying over and over again. I rebooted the network but that didn't work. Next is to delete the network from the phone and start it all over again. But that stinks because the security code takes me forever to enter in without mistakes. I was hoping to not have to do this.
It happened to both my phone and my wife's with the 2.2 upgrade.

ugaskidawg

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm having similar issues since 2.2 It sees the network but fails to get an ip address and connect. It just keeps trying over and over again. I rebooted the network but that didn't work. Next is to delete the network from the phone and start it all over again. But that stinks because the security code takes me forever to enter in without mistakes. I was hoping to not have to do this.
It happened to both my phone and my wife's with the 2.2 upgrade.

I have exactly the same problem....mine worked fine on 2.1 but on 2.2 I can't connect no matter what...I have reset my router and completely reconfigured it and no IP address. The EVO makes the connection and then waits for an IP address and then discoonects. I downloaded WiFi Buddy and told the EVO to use a static IP address and still no luck. I am buying a new router anyway so we'll see if that works. I have no problems with any other Wifi network so far...just mine. I have done the factory reset as well...no luck.

king

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I had the same problems reported by the other posters. I tried everything and was about to swap out my WRT-610N router until I changes the Standard Channel from Auto to a specific channel (I used channel 6). Now it works great!

It worked for me - hopefully it will for you - good luck!

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I have a buffalo tech wireless access point at home that the EVO doesnt like to connect to. I can see the dhcp requests come into my firewall/router and get sent out but for some reason something is happening at the wireless AP that they get mangled or dont make it to the EVO. All my other andriod phones work fine on that network. And my EVO works fine on the wireless network at work.

Bodar

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
My question is: why is everyone so obsessed with hiding their SSID? It provides no added security benefit. Unless you are not using encryption, and in that case you'll only stop the most casual of WiFi trespassers -- and apparently, EVO users. Even MAC filtering is fairly pointless since it is sent in plain text anyway. Just use the highest level of encryption available and make sure the key is long and complex.

Is Hiding Your Wireless SSID Really More Secure?
Wi-fi Mythbuster: Do NOT hide your SSID - TECH.BLORGE.com
SSID Hiding Is Futile (So Is MAC Address Filtering) - Security Watch

Last edited:

Bigfame

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
^ Exactly^. +100 to you good sir. I use WPA/WPA2 PSK 802.11g/n and everything in my house that's wireless works fine (2 EVO's, Pre, iPod Touch 32gb, Zune HD 32GB, PS3, PSP, DSI XL, Wii, HP Printer & ACER Laptop). I have a Netgear WNDR 3700 (Best Router I have ever had)

Last edited:

walterwood44

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Is your SSID hidden? I can't connect my EVO to hidden WiFi Router..

Sorry for getting back to this late. My SSID is not hidden.

I continued to have problems and they got worse this week. I download the newest version of the router firmware and so far so good. My router is a D-Link DIR-615.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci