Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    2,742 Global Posts

Default Got an Evo today -coming from Palm Pre

Hello all, decided to pick up an Evo today just to see how it is..

I am a Senior Forum Member on precentral, so I see some usual nicknames here as well.

My biggest concern was the keyboard (always been an avid Palm User..so hard keyboard is a big issue for me). Surprisingly the Evo keyboard is pretty darn good. The auto correcttion works great.

I have a question

1) Been reading, and thus far there are no 2.2 Root methods? This white evo I got came with the OTA 2.2 update.

Have there been a root method out for 2.2 yet or am I SOL for now?
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Global Posts
    2,742 Global Posts

Also, for the palm pre: there was a patch called SMS Tone Per Contact

Anything similar like this for the Evo?

Basically, I want to silence all my twitter 40404 text messages and make my other contacts audible

ROM
    Stock 3D, CM 7.1

No root for 2.2 yet, you're SOL for now.

No idea on the tone per contact, but I would think so without looking.

I came from a Pre too. You woun't look back. Palm went the route Apple did when Rubenstein became CEO... he focused on UI and not features out of the box. Google focuses on features before prettyness.

Try out different keyboards. I don't miss the Pre kb mostly cause you had to slide it out.
    -Swype (I use this as my daily grinder... so easy to use and fast for one finger)
    -Swiftkey (I don't use it, but some love it)
    -Smart Keyboard Pro (multitouch, costs $$ but LOTS of features)
    -Droid X keyboard (multitouch)
    -HTC Ime (can be multitouch, open source)

The last two you can find the apk online somewhere and install it. Swype is my favorite and I can't post apk's here... but you can also find that online somehwere. Unfortunately the beta is closed and they'll be releasing something sooner or later... I don't know.
    I do suggest you root when available for users who upgraded to 2.2 (there'll probably be a root method soon). There's a 30fps cap on the phone that includes a touch input lag... You'll notice the difference when you take it out by putting a custom ROM on... but that's later.
    Brace yourself for a data wipe before you root... you can bypass this but it has quite a few extra steps.

Anyway...
    I would say there is a way to do what the "SMS tone per contact" did... I just can't think of a way on how to do it.
    Try going into contact settings and see if there's a way there.

Seriously, I hope you enjoy the phone... the only problem is if you played a lot of gameloft games... then you'll be disappointed.... not much support for Android.
    But there are some games that run smoothly on the Evo. Try Raging Thunder II and Exzeus Arcade... those are just two and if you dig deep, you'll find some great ones.

Evo - MIUI 1.1.28

^----Old signature.

flip phone, bb curve, pre, evo, evo3d, s4.

Default Re: Got an Evo today -coming from Palm Pre

Quote Originally Posted by trim81 View Post
    Also, for the palm pre: there was a patch called SMS Tone Per Contact

Anything similar like this for the Evo?

Basically, I want to silence all my twitter 40404 text messages and make my other contacts audible
    I couldn't figure out a way to do the Tone Per Contact without installing handcent. I heard how much better it was than the stock SMS app so I gave it a shot. Week later I can't live without it.

It will allow you to set up tones, colors and notification icons per contact. And its free. Just make sure you disable alerts from the stock messaging app and you're good.

Sent from my Evo using Tapatalk.
    Last edited by emeraldayotte; 08-09-2010 at 08:02 AM.

My biggest concern was the keyboard (always been an avid Palm User..so hard keyboard is a big issue for me). Surprisingly the Evo keyboard is pretty darn good. The auto correcttion works great.

you should try swype, i don't know if the beta is still available but it's a way better keyboard and allows you to type faster.
    Palm Pre > HTC Evo 4g > HTC Evo 3d> Galaxy S2> Sprint Galaxy S3> Tmobile Galaxy S3> Tmoble HTC One & Asus Transformer Pad Infiniti

Global Posts
    81 Global Posts

My biggest concern was the keyboard also. I have gotten pretty quick with the touch screen keyboard now. When I use my daughter's Pre, the keyboard just seems cramped,lol. After having my Evo for about 2 months, I still miss the Pre's calendar and the ability to have mutiple windows open so I can just jump back and forth. Hope you like your Evo!!!

The cards display and swipping gestures were cool, but the evo is so fast that i honestly don't see the need for cards anymore. but i will confess i miss swiping the card up to close. I still use my palm pre as my personal phone, but unfortunately, I like my evo work phone better. W
    Palm Pre > HTC Evo 4g > HTC Evo 3d> Galaxy S2> Sprint Galaxy S3> Tmobile Galaxy S3> Tmoble HTC One & Asus Transformer Pad Infiniti

Hello all, decided to pick up an Evo today just to see how it is..

I am a Senior Forum Member on precentral, so I see some usual nicknames here as well.

I have a question

1) Been reading, and thus far there are no 2.2 Root methods? This white evo I got came with the OTA 2.2 update.

Have there been a root method out for 2.2 yet or am I SOL for now?
    Yowzers. Coming over to the dark side. Just kidding. I too was pretty active on Precentral and remember seeing you over there. So far I am loving the EVO and really have no regrets. Sorry you are stuck with the stock 2.2 so far. I am running rooted odexed stock 2.2 and love the capability to be able to customize my phone beyond what you normally can. Hopefully someone figures out how to root 2.2 soon.

Quote Originally Posted by shellzda1 View Post
    I still miss the Pre's calendar and the ability to have mutiple windows open so I can just jump back and forth. Hope you like your Evo!!!
    Unless you're talking about some other functionality, long press on the home key brings up your last 6 or 8 programs depending on whether you upgraded to 2.2 yet. You can jump from one program to the other this way.

Global Posts
    543 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanRom

Quote Originally Posted by 05 TypeS DC5 View Post
    you should try swype, i don't know if the beta is still available but it's a way better keyboard and allows you to type faster.
    Whether it is Swype beta or the Droid X keyboard, can someone point a Pre switch over to a good spot to start for installing apk's like these?

What I'm loving so far with the Android system is just the functions that are enabled right away. With WebOS being so new, they are still working on adding little functions or forcing customers to homebrew. One thing I really did like tho was how easy copy and paste was with the physical keyboard. Long pressing is nice, but nowhere near as quick.
    Samsung Instinct > Palm Pre > HTC EVO > Evo 3D > Samsung GSIII on VZW

I came from Pre too. I hesitated because of the size. I love this phone. Still working out how I want my settings. I bought the extended battery like I do for all my phones and had over 50% left yesterday after a long day of usage.

Global Posts
    124 Global Posts

i, too, have come to the Android world from my Palm Pre. i'm loving it more and more.

Another option is "group ringtones" -- not per individual but tone for all members of a group, which you can define. I really like this program and functionality. (Also from Pre).

I still have my Pre, but my wife picked up an EVO a couple of weeks ago. I am impressed with it. While I still think webOS is a better OS than Android, I am getting tired of waiting for HPalm to do anything.... Will most like switch to Android for a year while waiting to see what HPalm will do.

But anyway, this article is a bit dated, but should give you a jumpstart on keyboards: http://www.androidcentral.com/androi...yboard-roundup

Global Posts
    1,188 Global Posts
    ROM
    Never Stock

I, too, switched from the Palm PRE. Loved that OS but the physical keyboard was too cramped for me and the hardware was way too slow. I installed the overclock for the PRE and it made dramatic improvements to the UI but it became very unstable after a while and I had to revert back to stock. I had to replace the handset a few times because of the headphone jack. When I removed the headphones it would get stuck in headphone mode and the phone only worked with headphones plugged in or on speakerphone (my wife had to get hers replaced for this too!). I don't miss the "oreo" effect with the sliding keyboard either.

Moving to Android has been an enjoyable process for me. I love the openness of the Android community. The EVO's hardware is what does it for me. This phone flies. The UI is smooth and responsive, all the time. I just wish there was no 30 fps cap on the GPU, but I haven't experienced any kind of lag in the UI with the cap. The landscape keyboard is way better than the portrait physical keyboard on the PRE, IMO. My wife still has her PRE and I use it from time to time, but she is very jealous of my EVO. There's no going back for me.

Welcome to the dark side!
    -Stay thirsty my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfire8 View Post
    Whether it is Swype beta or the Droid X keyboard, can someone point a Pre switch over to a good spot to start for installing apk's like these?

What I'm loving so far with the Android system is just the functions that are enabled right away. With WebOS being so new, they are still working on adding little functions or forcing customers to homebrew. One thing I really did like tho was how easy copy and paste was with the physical keyboard. Long pressing is nice, but nowhere near as quick.
    i just simply went to beta.swype.com, registered and the emailed me a link which would download the installer, but apparently it's closed..... i originally got the beta when it was open i think in mid june sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by cloak.n.dagger View Post
    I installed the overclock for the PRE and it made dramatic improvements to the UI but it became very unstable after a while and I had to revert back to stock. I had to replace the handset a few times because of the headphone jack. When I removed the headphones it would get stuck in headphone mode and the phone only worked with headphones plugged in or on speakerphone (my wife had to get hers replaced for this too!).
    What is up with the headphone jack problems with Palm? When I had the Treo 755, I had to return two units for the exact same problem. So weird that the problem persisted on the Pre. In ever had an issue with the headphone jack on any of my HTC phones.

Global Posts
    543 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanRom

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    I still have my Pre, but my wife picked up an EVO a couple of weeks ago. I am impressed with it. While I still think webOS is a better OS than Android, I am getting tired of waiting for HPalm to do anything.... Will most like switch to Android for a year while waiting to see what HPalm will do.

But anyway, this article is a bit dated, but should give you a jumpstart on keyboards: http://www.androidcentral.com/androi...yboard-roundup
    Good comparison article, and I saw that several of these are on the market, but what about the ones that aren't? How does one install these? Like the Swype, if it can be obtained, or the Droid X version?

Global Posts
    1,188 Global Posts
    ROM
    Never Stock

If you're not installing from the market then you are manually installing a .apk file (like a .exe file in Windows). You just copy the file onto the root of the SD card (that's on the SD card and not is a subdirectory/folder) then browse to the file with a file browser app (like Astro or ES File Explorer). Tap the file and it should launch. There is a setting that has to be enabled for installing non-Market apps (Settings > Applications and check the box for Unknown sources).
    -Stay thirsty my friends.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

Global Posts
    2,742 Global Posts

Thanks for the welcome.

So far so good with this phone, wish I have a method to root this bad boy now though.

Regardiing SMS Tone Per Contact, I installed HandCent and it works fine thus far.

What Ive noticed is that, with the 2.2 update (not that I used the phone prior to 2.2), but all GMAIL accounts are not being synced -only the first account. (been reading this issue on the boards too)

What I did was installed K9 and it works pretty good so far. Similar to chatteremail with IDLE PUSH

I like this phone so far, pretty cool.

Question: Is there a way to overclock this evo without root?
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Global Posts
    2,742 Global Posts

dupe post

Global Posts
    543 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanRom

Question

Quote Originally Posted by cloak.n.dagger View Post
    If you're not installing from the market then you are manually installing a .apk file (like a .exe file in Windows). You just copy the file onto the root of the SD card (that's on the SD card and not is a subdirectory/folder) then browse to the file with a file browser app (like Astro or ES File Explorer). Tap the file and it should launch. There is a setting that has to be enabled for installing non-Market apps (Settings > Applications and check the box for Unknown sources).
    Just to clarify, does the copying an .apk require the device to be tethered to my PC? or can this all be done with menus on the EVO alone? I'm not seeing an option for anything that seems to allow me to copy a URL into a downloader, so I assume I do have to download the file on my desktop, then move it to the device SD with it tethered, is that correct?

Does this work without root?

Sorry for the baby steps, I swear I'll catch up to speed on playing with the EVO's guts (and Android) soon!

Global Posts
    225 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Got the evo 3 weeks ago from the pre. But I am missing the keyboard so even though I love this phone, I'm taking it back this week to wait for the epic. The pre will seem very small after having the big screen.

Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    ROM
    Popcorn

On the Pre you could minimize, slide the window and maximize the other open window. Back and forth up to some (seven?) number of windows. I will say that the back button on the Evo comes close. You can go straight from the new program back to the old program in one tap. If you want to go forward a long press on the home and select the one you want.

Interesting to me that when I am in the home screens I find sliding one screen either direction convenient, two screens either direction is inconvenient and three screens I just don't do. I'll go to the "app organizer" (Nice program like, but better than, the old Palm homescreen).
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast