Droid X user here...

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I set up 2 Evo's this weekend for my parents. I have to say i was very impressed. Almost impressed enough to take the X back. Not sure why but it seems like a lot of people leave the evo for the x. And 4g hauls serious.... man it is fast.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I set up 2 Evo's this weekend for my parents. I have to say i was very impressed. Almost impressed enough to take the X back. Not sure why but it seems like a lot of people leave the evo for the x. And 4g hauls serious.... man it is fast.

Why only almost? For me (and obviously I'm biased because I have an EVO) if I live in a 4G area the EVO is a no brainer. Kickstand kicks ***!

But the X looks like a nice piece of kit, too.

Mitalis

Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
If anything, go with the EVO because Sprint has the cheaper plans.. Plus with the EVO, you get unlimited mobile to mobile (regardless of the carrier) so that's a huge bonus if you call alot of cell phones. Verizon won't give you that benefit unless the other person you're calling is within the Verizon network.

FractalSphere

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Does the Droid X have a kickstand?

No?

Then it sucks.

We got a couple of execs who are all apesh*t for the Droid X after they saw the Evo me and a couple of the other tech guys have. The Droid X *is* a very lightweight phone (made of air was the consensus) and the screen/fluidity/scrolling is great, but it does have its drawbacks like no front camera and it has a bug with its email exchangesync that the Evos do not. :p

npark

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
I like the Droid X. In NYC, Sprint is pretty much scoffed at for having poor service by everyone who doesn't use it. For me, it's been solid. Coupled with the lower service plan, the Sense UI over stock Android it seems like a no-brainer to get the Evo over the X.

Oh, and little esoteric things: to me, I like the look and feel of the Evo better. The X is quite nice. The X's buttons function better than the capacitive buttons on the Evo, but the Evo looks so much more impressive. Moreover, the bump on the X is a little annoying. Front facing camera--while Fring and Qik leave a lot to be desired, they're still cool to use video chat.

All to say that I wouldn't mind having either phone, but it's in the little nuances that make the Evo a little better in my book. My 2 cents.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
Currently, I think that both devices are just about even. I would give a slight edge to the EVO because of Sense. But in a year, the EVO will be far superior. Video chat will be more prominent and there will be more 4G markets. The EVO will be the device to have between the two.

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
See I was just visiting. In my town there aren't plans to have 4g for a while. Even in Nashville it was spotty as it wasn't officially released. Regardless the EVO is one sweet phone.... I am a little jealous. Ran the speed test app on both phones, right next to each other just to see how much faster. On sprint's 4g and verizon's 3g, the evo got 4 mbps... wow fast. Verizon got 1.3 mbps.

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Haha. Don't get me wrong I love the Droid X, but with so many going from the Evo to the X it has me puzzled.... I would go from the X to the Evo if I had 4g!

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Droid X is nice but i like EVO.

1. sleeker (no big booty rumpshaker butt).
2. 4G
3. HTC Sense
4. front camera
5. Sprint Simply Everything Plans

etc.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Haha. Don't get me wrong I love the Droid X, but with so many going from the Evo to the X it has me puzzled.... I would go from the X to the Evo if I had 4g!

A lot of people think the X has a better screen. It also has a more capable GPU, but whether that matters or not depends on personal use. Now if they were both on Sprint I might be torn, but I like Sprint's pricing. Of course we will also have our version of the Galaxy phone to choose from eventually, so a phone with a good GPU will be an option.

It might seem like a gimick but I'm sold on the kickstand. It really comes in handy when reading long articles (which you know is awesome on a 4.3" screen) and watching HQ Youtube videos.

dragozoid

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I think both phones are neck and neck. What seals the deal for me though is that the EVO has less than 400MB of storage for apps out the box while the X has 6.3GB out the box. There is way more space on the X, not to mention it comes with a 16GB memory card. I don't care about a front facing camera and I'm satisfied with my 3G speeds. And the X's processor seems to really show its true colors when web browsing and using apps.

Check this video to see the difference between the OMAP, Snapdragon, and Hummingbird processors.
YouTube - ‪Snapdragon vs. Hummingbird vs. OMAP‬‎

npark

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
Dragozoid, I mean sure, those are valid reasons. However I have a ton of apps on my phone, and haven't ran out of space so for the typical user I wonder how much of a constraint the app space is.

Value from the carrier is a big deal for me. I mean, I can afford being on Verizon, but it irks me having to pay inflated prices simply to fatten the pockets of board members and pay out dividends. Sprint's family plans are just mind-blowing amazing values compared to Verizon and AT&T. $60 a month is not trivial. $720 a year... well that's a new computer or something each year. Like I said, not that I can't afford it, but why waste money? Where I am, Sprint works like a champ.

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Evo user... but I'm jealous.

1. Droid X has better screen quality.
2. Better multimedia features
3. Gaming much better ... smoother, and whatnot.
4. No 30fps cap (but this can be fixed)

Evo has...
1. Kickstand (love this)
2. Front facing camera, with no skype support right now.
3. 4g (I don't live in 4g area)

But I love Sprint's pricing and plans... My family and I compete to see who can rack up the most minutes.

Beezzy

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I just don't like the X's software on top of the OS. idk but it just seems like such a mess whenever I look at one of my friends' DX. I like the hardware, but Moto always fails short on when they try to make their own OS. They should stick with Vanilla android.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty