Cant figure this out (Airplane mode)...

its_miller_time

May 19, 2010
Visit site
So, at work, I get very dismal Sprint service. We're talking -110dbm, on average. Naturally, this was causing severe battery drain, resulting in about 40% battery remaining when I left work (from 7:00am - 3:30pm).

So, in an effort to save battery life, I have started to use Airplane Mode and have google voice forward my calls to my work desk so I am sure I am not missing any calls.

Well, where it gets wierd is that my phone will be at 90% when it goes in airplane mode (right when I get to work) and then stay on airplane mode all the way to lunch (turn it on during lunch) and then back on to airplane mode until I leave work. Now, when it's on during lunch, I make maybe one or two calls and some light web browsing.

What I cant figure out when I turn my phone back on from Airplane Mode when I leave work, my phone battery is at 15% and gives me the low battery warning. My time without service is around 98% (why, I don't know...) I don't use my phone at all (I understand that I could just as easily turn my phone off, but, airplane mode is convenient for me because there are times when in a meeting or so when I want to get some internet connection) when it is in airplane mode...

Does this make sense to you? Why would airplane mode drain more life than leaving my phone connected to the network. I have confirmed this was not a one time issue because it has happened every day for the past four days.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
try using the widget switch for "Mobile Network" and toggle that off instead of using Airplane Mode and report back your results here.

Last edited:

its_miller_time

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Gekko, good find. When using the Airplane Mode widget (I added it as well as the Mobile Network widget), I see that the Mobile Network is still enabled...

So you;re saying just turn off the "Mobile Network" instead of using Airplane mode or should I use them concurrently?

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Gekko, good find. When using the Airplane Mode widget (I added it as well as the Mobile Network widget), I see that the Mobile Network is still enabled...

So you;re saying just turn off the "Mobile Network" instead of using Airplane mode or should I use them concurrently?

i think just toggling off the Mobile Network widget will accomplish what you want to accomplish. no need for Airplane Mode.

let us know how it works.

good luck.

p.s. when i've used Airplane Mode in the past i seem to recall that the Mobile Network widget fades in color from bright blue to grey-blue but doesn't necessary always toggle off.

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
It's in HTC Settings when you look for widgets.

If you use launcherpro or adw settings, there are some data toggle widgets you can find on the market.
Look up "curvefish" in the market...
They have gps, autosync, autorotate, lockpattern, 3g, wifi, etc...

androidvirgin

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Something else is draining your battery. Mobile Network made be a "fix", but it's not the cure. I use Airplane Mode all the time, cause I'm on an airplane 4-5 days a week. My battery barely drops a few percentages after hours in Airplane Mode.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
i remember in the past (2.1) Airplane Mode would automatically lower the switch (turn off) the Mobile Network widget (i have both widgets on the same screen). now it seems with Froyo 2.2 that Airplane Mode does not turn off Mobile Network. the Mobile Network widget color pulsates shades a few times but it still stays on. strange.

its_miller_time

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Something else is draining your battery. Mobile Network made be a "fix", but it's not the cure. I use Airplane Mode all the time, cause I'm on an airplane 4-5 days a week. My battery barely drops a few percentages after hours in Airplane Mode.

I thought that too, but the only thing in my "battery usage" screen is as follows...

Phone Idle 52%
Cell Standby 32%
Android System 12%
Display 4%

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay