Working version of swype?

gtpmatt

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I had it when I first got my EVO at the end of June. It hasn't worked properly since my first wipe/ROM install. I want to give it a try again after this new ROM but I can't find a working link. Is one still available?

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I had it when I first got my EVO at the end of June. It hasn't worked properly since my first wipe/ROM install. I want to give it a try again after this new ROM but I can't find a working link. Is one still available?

You just have to sign up for the beta to get an "Official" copy of Swype... There are places you can get an unofficial copy but it's a No-No to post the links on here (Got slapped on the hand once for doing it)

I signed up for the beta when I got my Nexus One back in April and it took until the middle of June to get the official Beta.... I was using an unofficial copy until the beta invite came out....

Good Luck...

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm using the official beta and given the nature of the sensitive information you pass through a keyboard, I would recommend telling everyone to either use the official beta or don't use Swype until you get an invite.

You never know what key logging scripts, etc. are put in to an APK, as well, since you have to allow unknown application sources to install swype in the first place you may not even know what you're really installing...

Please remove the above post.

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Its a safe copy of swype, I've scanned but ultimately you should scan for yourself.
If its against any rules or whatever, my bad....

zhang3r

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I am using Swype_1.60.36.8214_WVGA

UPDATE:
this is the version I am using personally
it's been posted on xda and other forums and no complaints
not sure abt the rules here
i will remove the link if more ppl feel uncomfortable with it
for now download at your own risk

Last edited:

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
UPDATE:
this is the version I am using personally
it's been posted on xda and other forums and no complaints
not sure abt the rules here
i will remove the link if more ppl feel uncomfortable with it
for now download at your own risk

Edit and remove any link to a downloadable file for any thing that isn't readily out there for any one to use as freeware.... I posted a similar link to XDA with a download to an unofficial Swype back in June and I got smacked on the hand for it. I didn't know that was against the rules but a Mod or Admin told me they don't want to piss off the people at Swype or any other App builder with people posting unofficial downloads....

I used an unofficial Swype from XDA because Swype took over 3+ months to open the beta back up (after I signed up) I would happily pay for it but their own website does not give a time frame for a pay version to be released..

I just tell people to Google "Swype for Android" and if you look hard enough it points you to XDA eventually.....

zhang3r

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
good tips
thx
link is gone now

Edit and remove any link to a downloadable file for any thing that isn't readily out there for any one to use as freeware.... I posted a similar link to XDA with a download to an unofficial Swype back in June and I got smacked on the hand for it. I didn't know that was against the rules but a Mod or Admin told me they don't want to piss off the people at Swype or any other App builder with people posting unofficial downloads....

I used an unofficial Swype from XDA because Swype took over 3+ months to open the beta back up (after I signed up) I would happily pay for it but their own website does not give a time frame for a pay version to be released..

I just tell people to Google "Swype for Android" and if you look hard enough it points you to XDA eventually.....

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Come on, I think it's a bad idea to post links to a keyboard app that can potentially steal your data! Let people get it from an official source or put a huge disclaimer.

I'm like 99% sure that no one would willing post a link to a file that's bad but if you notice all the access that you allow a swype installation you really have no way of telling what the heck that program can do because it's suppose to have access to all that info anyway! Unless you're a developer and you can rip apart that APK you really have no way of knowing, even a virus scanner might not find this a problem!!

Be wary people! Again, I'm not trying to insult anyone who put a link up or anything like that but you just can never be too careful with personal information. I for one use my phone to check my bank account, login to facebook and to the admin of my work web site. All of which contain sensitive data (to me at least), and all of which pass through the swype keyboard !!

Bigfire

May 13, 2010
Visit site
That's the tough part about forums. So many are looking for straight answers, but when you can't really hold anyone accountable for the responses posted, there's just no integrity.

This could be a completely legitimate file, but being on a random website like 'Getandroidstuff.com' doesn't exactly seem like it is a trustable way to jump through the swype hoop. That's the one good thing about closed source theory like Apple. You know the files/apps/etc are not corrupt. If they released on Sprint I might likely give the Iphone a whirl :-(

xpyder74

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
I find and install this unofficial version of the newest one Swype, here:

biggestgames_dot_blogspot_dot_com/2011/08/swype-v325

It works great on my rooted evo 4g w/Destroyer v2 ROM!;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34