Can not browser intranet sites

crashvt

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Hey Everyone,

My EVO can't browser intranet sites connected through my corporate wi-fi. Iphone users have no problems doing so. The issue has to do with urls with domain name associated to them. http://server.domain.com works, but http://server won't. Iphones have no problems with them. If I type in the IP address for the sites there is no issue getting to it. I have no problem surfing external sites ie, google. We don't use any proxy servers.

Any help would be great.

Thanks!

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
It sounds like a DNS server problem, I don't know where the EVO gets it's DNS info from in a wifi or 3G connection. Have you left it connected to your intranet a while? Maybe it needs some time to update?

crashvt

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I have loaded 2.2, it didn't seem to make a difference. It is resolving some items which are only it my internal DNS. That is what makes it so puzzling

Yourdogsdead

May 15, 2010
Visit site
It sounds like a DNS server problem, I don't know where the EVO gets it's DNS info from in a wifi or 3G connection. Have you left it connected to your intranet a while? Maybe it needs some time to update?

The ISP generally acts as the DNS server. So Sprint for 3G, random internet provider for wifi. It sounds like the domain name isn't being redirected to an IP Address. He says that if he types in the IP Address, that it works.

Does this occur on the LAN or WAN network?

wadester

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
Same Problem

Actually, I just tested this on our LAN, too, and I have the same problem. IP addresses work but names do not.

I turned off the Mobile Network so it shouldn't be using any other DNS servers than our own (2) Windows DNS servers. IP Config on the phone report the correct DNS server addresses. Strange.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Actually, I just tested this on our LAN, too, and I have the same problem. IP addresses work but names do not.

I turned off the Mobile Network so it shouldn't be using any other DNS servers than our own (2) Windows DNS servers. IP Config on the phone report the correct DNS server addresses. Strange.

Are you using a trailing slash in your web browser? Have you tried different browsers?

Like http://thefredelement-pc vs http://thefredelements-pc/ ?

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
The ISP generally acts as the DNS server. So Sprint for 3G, random internet provider for wifi. It sounds like the domain name isn't being redirected to an IP Address. He says that if he types in the IP Address, that it works.

It's not always random internet providers for WiFi, If you're using wifi and setup DHCP, 9 times out of 10 you can set what DNS servers to use, to forward from your ISP or even designate the router as the local DNS.

In a lot of corporate settings companies use internal DNS servers and even proxy servers to do everything from name resolution, logging, blocking, etc.

crashvt

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I had a droidx user and incredible and they had the same issue. They were both in IT are believe it has something to with android resolving intranet urls. Like trying to go to www.intranetsite.com. There has to be a way to debug this. I will try the trailing slash tomorrow.

crashvt

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site

Wifi which connects to a LAN

crashvt

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I just tried with trailing slash still a no go. Any other ideas? Android phones are the only ones that seem to have the issue. WebOS, Windows Mobile and iPhones are all fine.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm not at the office or I would try, but I was use the "ES File Explorer" app to map server drives and I have the same issue....I can't map \\serverName\Share but I can map \\IPAddress\Share

Probably the same issue...I will have to try it in a browser to one of intranet sites, but expect the same behavior.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21