Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    20 Global Posts

Default Can not browser intranet sites

Hey Everyone,

My EVO can't browser intranet sites connected through my corporate wi-fi. Iphone users have no problems doing so. The issue has to do with urls with domain name associated to them. http://server.domain.com works, but http://server won't. Iphones have no problems with them. If I type in the IP address for the sites there is no issue getting to it. I have no problem surfing external sites ie, google. We don't use any proxy servers.

Any help would be great.

Thanks!

Global Posts
    78 Global Posts

Have you loaded 2.2 (Froyo)?
    passionately curious

Global Posts
    2,825 Global Posts

It sounds like a DNS server problem, I don't know where the EVO gets it's DNS info from in a wifi or 3G connection. Have you left it connected to your intranet a while? Maybe it needs some time to update?
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    20 Global Posts

I have loaded 2.2, it didn't seem to make a difference. It is resolving some items which are only it my internal DNS. That is what makes it so puzzling

Uncheck mobile view on the browser
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    20 Global Posts

I changed this option, but still no go

Make sure you type in http:// in front of the URL to keep it from doing a Google search.

Global Posts
    776 Global Posts

So what's your IT dept. say?

Global Posts
    1,402 Global Posts
    ROM
    Various

Quote Originally Posted by thefredelement View Post
    It sounds like a DNS server problem, I don't know where the EVO gets it's DNS info from in a wifi or 3G connection. Have you left it connected to your intranet a while? Maybe it needs some time to update?
    The ISP generally acts as the DNS server. So Sprint for 3G, random internet provider for wifi. It sounds like the domain name isn't being redirected to an IP Address. He says that if he types in the IP Address, that it works.

Does this occur on the LAN or WAN network?
    </awesome>

Default Same Problem

Actually, I just tested this on our LAN, too, and I have the same problem. IP addresses work but names do not.

I turned off the Mobile Network so it shouldn't be using any other DNS servers than our own (2) Windows DNS servers. IP Config on the phone report the correct DNS server addresses. Strange.
    passionately curious

Global Posts
    2,825 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wadester View Post
    Actually, I just tested this on our LAN, too, and I have the same problem. IP addresses work but names do not.

I turned off the Mobile Network so it shouldn't be using any other DNS servers than our own (2) Windows DNS servers. IP Config on the phone report the correct DNS server addresses. Strange.
    Are you using a trailing slash in your web browser? Have you tried different browsers?

Like http://thefredelement-pc vs http://thefredelements-pc/ ?
    passionately curious

Global Posts
    2,825 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yourdogsdead View Post
    The ISP generally acts as the DNS server. So Sprint for 3G, random internet provider for wifi. It sounds like the domain name isn't being redirected to an IP Address. He says that if he types in the IP Address, that it works.

It's not always random internet providers for WiFi, If you're using wifi and setup DHCP, 9 times out of 10 you can set what DNS servers to use, to forward from your ISP or even designate the router as the local DNS.

In a lot of corporate settings companies use internal DNS servers and even proxy servers to do everything from name resolution, logging, blocking, etc.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Global Posts
    20 Global Posts

I had a droidx user and incredible and they had the same issue. They were both in IT are believe it has something to with android resolving intranet urls. Like trying to go to www.intranetsite.com. There has to be a way to debug this. I will try the trailing slash tomorrow.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Global Posts
    20 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yourdogsdead View Post

Wifi which connects to a LAN

I can confirm that it is possible to use names on LAN, as I just connected to my router using its name, not IP. (http://gateway instead of the IP)

Worked just fine?
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Global Posts
    20 Global Posts

I just tried with trailing slash still a no go. Any other ideas? Android phones are the only ones that seem to have the issue. WebOS, Windows Mobile and iPhones are all fine.

I'm not at the office or I would try, but I was use the "ES File Explorer" app to map server drives and I have the same issue....I can't map \\serverName\Share but I can map \\IPAddress\Share

Probably the same issue...I will have to try it in a browser to one of intranet sites, but expect the same behavior.

No, extra / at end doesn't work. Must be some kind of incompatibility between Android clients and Windows DNS servers?

Global Posts
    776 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by crashvt View Post
    I had a droidx user and incredible and they had the same issue. They were both in IT are believe it has something to with android resolving intranet urls. Like trying to go to www.intranetsite.com. There has to be a way to debug this. I will try the trailing slash tomorrow.
    Again, what does your IT dept say.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Global Posts
    20 Global Posts

IT Deptarment said it should work no problem.
    passionately curious

Global Posts
    2,825 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by crashvt View Post
    IT Deptarment said it should work no problem.
    Ok, it's time to do some comparison.

Can you access these intranet sites from your work computer? If so can you get your network settings? - Are you sure the wifi router, if that's the device assigning an address to your Evo, is giving the same informaiton?

I am the IT department here.

1. Wireless Router is in Access Point mode on the same internal network segment (192.168.0.x/32) as my computer.

2. Using IP Config, IP information on EVO vs. PC is identical except the IP address (obviously), same DNS servers (192.168.0.10 and 192.168.0.96).

3. I can access http://aptnas/ (as an example) on my PC but it won't resolve on the EVO. I can, however, access http://192.168.0.50 -- the address of the NAS on the EVO.
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

Global Posts
    20 Global Posts

Same situation at wadester

Global Posts
    52 Global Posts

I was having a similar problem where I couldn't access my work intranet. What finally worked for me was to use opera as a browser. The explanation from my IT Dept was that when using opera as your browser everything goes through their server before being redistributed. You can get the opera browser in the marketplace.

Global Posts
    1,402 Global Posts
    ROM
    Various

Quote Originally Posted by thefredelement View Post
    It's not always random internet providers for WiFi, If you're using wifi and setup DHCP, 9 times out of 10 you can set what DNS servers to use, to forward from your ISP or even designate the router as the local DNS.

In a lot of corporate settings companies use internal DNS servers and even proxy servers to do everything from name resolution, logging, blocking, etc.
    Makes sense, if they have their own web server why not have a DNS server as well. I noticed something above about trailing slashes, would that really make a difference?
    </awesome>
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast