Automatic Date/Time zone

eribac

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I am seeing some weird behavior with my automatic date and time zone detection on my Evo. I first noticed this at work last Tuesday after I had installed the unofficial(.3) release of Froyo. The HTC Sense weather widget was displaying weather for Hong Kong and the phones time zone was also Hong Kong.

Wednesday I saw similar behavior at work, again my phone thought it was in Hong Kong.

I was out of the office Thurs - Sun and I never noticed the issue. Monday I go back to work and see that my phone now thinks it is in India. At first I thought I thought it was the tower I was connected too, but no one else in my office was seeing similar behavior on their Evo's or Hero's. So I was thinking that it may be related some how to the .3 release I had installed.

Last night I got the OTA update, and now have the official .6 release and things were looking good, till now. Now my phone thinks it is in Indianapolis!!!!

Even though my phone thinks it is in Indianapolis, I know for sure that I am physically located in Eagan, Minnesota! Has anyone else seen this? Anyone have any ideas on what is going on?

Thanks
--eric

VaccPalm

May 21, 2010
Visit site
Same here. the HTC weather widget is showing me everywhere but where I am. Im in NY and it was saying I am in washington. All the other weather and location apps are normal so somethings up with the HTC weather widget.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
my HTC weather widget is fine but the Clock App keeps showing "Current" as "Detroit/America" which think God i'm nowhere near Detroit.

VaccPalm

May 21, 2010
Visit site
Yeah thats what I mean Gekko , it keeps showing on the clock as either Queens / America ( I am not in queens) or some other destination. I assume thats where it thinks I am. Maybe the weather picks up from that i believe.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Yeah thats what I mean Gekko , it keeps showing on the clock as either Queens / America ( I am not in queens) or some other destination. I assume thats where it thinks I am. Maybe the weather picks up from that i believe.

i don't mean the HTC weather widget clock but the Apps-->Desk Clock-->World Clock is wrong.

the big HTC weather widget time/location is correct.

World Clock says "Detroit/America" (wrong).

eribac

May 12, 2010
Visit site
This is affecting more than just the HTC weather/clock widget, this is also affecting my system clock, which screws up the calendar, messaging, etc.... Even google maps shows in the wrong location while I am inside my office building.

viddywell

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
I've seen some really funky GPS results when I'm on my Airave at home. Any chance you guys might have one in the vicinity that's causing trouble?

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I travel for a living and I am in a different city every day and I travel across Central and Eastern Time zones and my EVO has never been off but a couple of times and usually just one click to sync the weather corrects... and the times it was off it was giving me weather for a city I left an hour or so earlier so it just hadn't synced yet. The clock widget (like today when I went from Eastern to Central time) adjust but I usually have to drive a good 30 - 40 miles PAST the sign that says "your now entering central/eastern time zone" before it will actually change on the phone... I think about twice since June 4 traveling between time zones has frozen up and listed me in the wrong time zone and a quick reboot fixed it right up..... It's never told me I was in a city I don't travel to or have ever been too before...

bzxzlg

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
So I've expericed the same since the 2.2 update in early AUG... Because I travel, I never had time to call Sprint - but I finally did today. The indicated that this issue had been excalated to HTC as it appeared to be a GPS issue and not an AIRAVE issue - kinda queer wouldn't you say? Since it only showed up AFTER the 2.2 udpate? As long as I'm anywhere my location is correct - but at home my location is off by 40 miles.

Oh, and I've got one of the first AIRAVE's ... Maybe this isn't an issue with the new ones?

Last edited:

acedanger

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
I noticed that yesterday when I was at the beach. The clock was somehow set to the pacific timezone when I was on the east coast. I unchecked the "allow network to determine timezone" and set it manually. When I turned that option back on this morning, everything was ok.

Struck me as odd. It sounds as if it was a system-wide Sprint issue.

Brian38501

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
It's not just a Sprint issue. I have the DInc on Verizon and it has done the same thing since day one and I am on unrooted 2.1. My phone shows me in various parts of the world but this only seems to happen when I am inside at work. Once I leave things seem to straighten out. This also never seems to happen when I am connected to WiFi. I was hoping that once the DInc received 2.2 this would be resolved but reading this thread that doesn't sound likely.

bzxzlg

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Just noticed that my phone is now working correctly today - sitting here at the house and am on the AIRAVE and primary location is showing me where I'd expect to be - well, kinda anyway - sit on the fence between two municipalities ... Not sure if this is a fluke or if Sprint has updated their network since I haven't received any updates since Froyo.