Contacts Issue (People App)

charlesspivak1

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Ok so this is a small thing but very annoying. I'm not a newbie to Android but by far no expert. My EVO isn't rooted, nor any special "Contacts" apps, just the stock Sense version, and I'm updated to Froyo...the right way (OTA when it officially came out).

So normally when I go to the People app, I can hold down the menu button which brings up the querty keyboard and I can just punch in the start of a name or business or whatever (NOT the actual search function) and it would start listing contacts or businesses that relate, with the selection getting smaller and smaller the more accurately I type the name. Now here's the issue: every once in a while, a gray box appears that takes the place of me trying to search my contacts, but does NOTHING. And the only way to make it disappear (notice I didn't say go away) is if I hold down the back button on the qwerty keyboard. But if I start typing again, it reappears again and I continually can't search for contacts that way as I usually would. Yes, I realize there are other ways to search through contacts and/or other apps to do so as well. But I want to solve this problem because it's frakking annoying. This has been going on through multiple hard resets and even replacing the phone (for other reasons of course, not this one).

Also to add, soft restarting the phone seems to temporarily make this issue go away. But it always comes back. There must be a simple solution!

Suggestions?

And btw, I did scour the forums and didn't see anything like this asked or answered so far.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
1. sounds like you are searching for a key word that's not in a name field?
2. try "power search" in market?

good luck.

charlesspivak1

May 5, 2010
Visit site
1. Nope, I'm typing the same things I normally would to find contacts as I did before. It starts with the first letter I type, and I know I have contacts with all or most of the letters of the alphabet. And besides that, even if I did type a name etc that isn't in my contacts, it would just let me type but not find anything to suggest. In this case from the first letter I type, it brings up this annoying grey box that shows what I'm typing but seemingly has no functionality whatsoever.

2. Thanks for the suggestion, but for now I'd rather figure out an answer to this problem before I put a band aid on it. Other apps may be better, but this is a problem and it needs a solution.

I'm very surprised no one else has seen this.

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
I was just about to say "I can't reproduce this" ... but I'm running Vanilla, not Sense. No idea... really have no idea what's happening.

I know you're adament on fixing this one issue, but the thing about Android is having the choice to go about it another way. Infact, there are probably 10+ other ways to do what you're trying to do.

Tbh, I think it's just one of the poor apps from Sense. Vanilla doesn't have "people" app. Do you also have a "contacts" app?

Hurleygm

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
First off, when I search for contacts I go to people and hit the search button and it works very well.

When I search using the menu, I get the same thing you do. My suggestion is to just use the search button once you are in the people app.

koam

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Please do this to check the number of contacts (including ghost contacts).

PEOPLE, MENU, VIEW.

Then note how many lines there are, which ones are checked and that the values in parentheses are. Note if there is more than one entry for Facebook.

Facebook has an issue with creating many thousands of ghost contacts. Only sync contacts on "Facebook for HTC Sense"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463