network set to sprint only?

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone leave theirs set to Sprint only and what would the benefits be?

If you got a new Sprint contract after a certain date they may or may not charge you for roaming data usage. I remember seeing an entire thread about it. I'm not sure where it was.

You may want to do this if you have faster speeds but a stronger or weaker signal from roaming to another data network or not as well.

TheOnlyMorgan

May 17, 2010
Visit site
The benefit is you'll never be roaming on another CDMA network thus if you use tons of data and end up roaming(300MB is the roaming limit), you'd either be hit with an overage or Sprint could terminate your service.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
The benefit is you'll never be roaming on another CDMA network thus if you use tons of data and end up roaming(300MB is the roaming limit), you'd either be hit with an overage or Sprint could terminate your service.

That 300MB limit is part of newer (post 6/4) contracts I believe. And I'm not sure if it applies to people paying the "EVO" tax.

TheOnlyMorgan

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I'd take a guess that it still applies. Since the roaming limit has more to do with Sprint's agreements with other CDMA carriers and nothing to do with customers on a 4G phone.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone leave theirs set to Sprint only and what would the benefits be?

There is another benefit that some may appreciate. If you have ever had the issue of having text messages time stamped incorrectly (like five hours ahead of time), choosing not to roam will prevent that from happening.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I'd take a guess that it still applies. Since the roaming limit has more to do with Sprint's agreements with other CDMA carriers and nothing to do with customers on a 4G phone.

I'm pretty sure it's in your Sprint contract and they can't changing those terms without giving you notice that will let you exit your contract early without paying an ETF. I just tried searching for the thread where a user quoted their chat with a Sprint rep explaining it all but can't find it yet, If I do I'll update this. (I think it was at xda)

There is another benefit that some may appreciate. If you have ever had the issue of having text messages time stamped incorrectly (like five hours ahead of time), choosing not to roam will prevent that from happening.

I think that's overall never roaming but unless your'e using Google Voice texts should go over the voice channel.

intheb0x

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
i have mine set to sprint only as well..

when i would go into hospitals i would go roaming, i set it to sprint only afraid of any extra fees, and i havent had any issues...

3g everywhere and good service.

sprint only/

cpolism

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I just did the same thing on monday this week just to test it out. I have all 3G bars and 2-3 4G bars where I live. I just moved to the DC Metro area about 3 weeks ago and I've noticed that my phone roams a lot here. At my previous location Sprint and US Cell were the only CDMA carriers. So I never really roamed at all.

I thought it was weird here in the DC area that my phone keeps switching from Roam to Sprint so I went ahead and changed to "sprint only" and its been no problem ever since. Yesterday was a freak day for my phone. I went out and did some standing around while the wife shopped and my batter just plummeted in 3 hours after I charged it up at home. Wasn't too happy with that. But other than that it's worked out nicely.

olemil#AC

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
This looks like it might be on the same track I was wondering about, data roaming fees. I noticed on my Spint on-line account it shows two separate data usages, one is the normal data and the other is listed as roaming data usage... and it also shows unlimited. So I am assuming we can leave our data roaming setting checked and not get dinged with a huge roaming data charge? Anyone else notice this on your on-line account? I think like mentioned above it may be included with the "premium data package" we are paying an extra $10/mo for...even though no 4g for me..lol. TIA if anyone has any answers to this.

roothog

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
That can't be physically possible seeing that the EVO doesn't even have a GSM antenna, only CDMA. If I am wrong on this, please show me where the SIM card goes...

You have to be willing to take a storage hit. You swap out the SD card for a micro-SIM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol