Sprint or Evo slow 3G tested last night

PM-Performance

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
So I went into a VZ store last night to play with Droids for grins and giggles to see how they felt.
I put speed test on both and they clocked 2mb dl speeds consistantly. I was almost sickened as I did it with my Evo right next to the Droid and got maybe 500k consistant.

I went right across to the Sprint store because I wanted to test a stock Evo if they had one to see if that was consistant with my device, but they were busy and had none on display to play with.
I might try this today at another store if I can.

Im just wondering if Sprint's network is just sooo bogged down now due to the number of new customers and hogging data kinda like when ATT got iphones.
I used to get well above 1MB constant the first couple weeks even in bad 3g areas when i first signed on.
Or maybe its just my area thats sketchy or booged down?
Each PRL or Antenna update doesnt fix it. Multiple diff OS versions or patches or Roms never fixed it. . . . so I am leaning more on network

Frankenstein

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
I think something like that could be going on. I've also noticed that 3G can be abysmally slow sometimes. If I try to download a podcast in Listen, it often times out and I basically just have to wait until I get into a 4G area or have WiFi. I've only really noticed it over the past few weeks, so I think you may be right about the network overload. However, I will say that the 4G coverage (I'm in Atl) has been improving, albeit ever so slightly. That said, I will never be able to justify to Verizon for $20-$30 more per month.

dante501

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I have to agree. In my small town and in the whole area I live not so much people use sprint it's wisconsin and that is verizon and att infested lol. I get in speed test on 3G around 1800 to 2100 4g no available. Then in minnesota my speed drops to maybe highest 1000 huge difference. Its because so many use the sprint network. 4g is around 6000 but sometimes that is even in low 2500 range. There isn't much 4g in minnesota yet. Yes out is a network running in over limit. But also strange is that when using my pre for youtube video downloads its tops the evo like around 3 to 4 times on speed downloading it
Strange why does has android in general so hard time playing youtube over the youtube app? It works fine over flash but the youtube app has issues. Just throwing that out there.

iboombastic

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I have to agree. In my small town and in the whole area I live not so much people use sprint it's wisconsin and that is verizon and att infested lol. I get in speed test on 3G around 1800 to 2100 4g no available. Then in minnesota my speed drops to maybe highest 1000 huge difference. Its because so many use the sprint network. 4g is around 6000 but sometimes that is even in low 2500 range. There isn't much 4g in minnesota yet. Yes out is a network running in over limit. But also strange is that when using my pre for youtube video downloads its tops the evo like around 3 to 4 times on speed downloading it
Strange why does has android in general so hard time playing youtube over the youtube app? It works fine over flash but the youtube app has issues. Just throwing that out there.
Just don't play the vid in hight quality or play it from the m.youtube.com website.

Hurleygm

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
It seems to me to be mostly area based. I lived on the out skirts of Vegas and if I had 4G it would be super slow. Just moved to the center off town and just clocked at 5.27 mbps. It's lightening fast.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk.

clavodulce16

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
i have noticed 3g speed to be super slow here in nyc also. on 4g i get 8~9 mpbs download. Can this be some strategy to trying to push every one to 4g because is "faster"

Caitlyn McKenzie

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I've been in areas where Sprint was slow and Verizon was fast, and I've been in areas where Sprint was fast and Verizon was slow. It's just usually the distance from the tower. Overall though I've never been truly disappointed with my 3G speeds in general.

mvpilot172

May 7, 2010
Visit site
All depends on your location. Speed tests are useless for an overall picture of a carrier's speed. However, in your area Sprint may be slower than V, or the mall you were at has a verizon tower on it.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I have noticed something in regards to my slow speed on 3G. I use the Speed Test application and when it seems slugish the PING time is 999ms. Every single time its slow i see this. During times when the speeds are improved, the PING time is always under 400ms. This makes me wonder if its less of a back bone issue and more of a DNS or some kind of routing issue on their system. I am in Dallas, TX. I have seen a few other threads with similar issues of slow 3G speeds. I also have tried to update my Data Profile and PRL. Right now its set up on 60669. This started a few weeks before Froyo so its not related to that. I do hope they get it fixed.

jshamoon

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Very slow for me as well in the entire Chicago area...slow response, usually, between 500Kbps - 800Kbps nowadays...latency is very bad. Very erratic. Once in a while I get 1.2Mbps, very rare though. I used to get between 1.4 - 1.9Mbps constantly. Get on it Sprint, something is going on!

PM-Performance

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
All depends on your location. Speed tests are useless for an overall picture of a carrier's speed. However, in your area Sprint may be slower than V, or the mall you were at has a verizon tower on it.

I agree. but you must look at the bigger picture. . .
If you test from multiple diff locations at multiple diff times you will see the inconsistancy.
I see it much faster at offpeak times usually.
I see it much slower in the last few weeks (now more people getting Evos then they had at launch time)
I see 4G not getting bogged.

this shows me Sprint got sooo many new customers with the Evo and they are hogging data and killing 3G significantly.
4G is not an issue as its spread soo far apart that its not used a ton yet or by a ton of people and even then the people are prob scared to use it because it kills the batt quick.

scrubcst

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I also went to a verizon store to play with the droid and tested speeds. With my evo I was getting 2.2 and they were getting 1.5mbs. So I also concur on the issue of there bring more people leeching off the network. I live in Sacramento Ca

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

mytbouf21

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys. Im a friend of PM Performance and he told me about the slow speeds and i didnt believe it at first. Since i didnt see a difference of browsing and what not. But it did start to get slower here in Columbus. And i wanted to try when i went home to Pa and try it with pete and it was the same thing. We both were reading slow speeds. The 4G in Reading was fast, but still VERY slow in 3g. Something around .2-.4Mb. Which is terrible. I get usually around .1-.3 here in Columbus.

PM-Performance

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Denis. . .you got 2.2 on 3G? Thats rediculous speed!!! hahaha. deff count your stars on that one.
Could be the market though you are in. Maybe less sprint customers in your area.

BTW, I finally talked to a higher level tech today and he agreed that the network is getting bogged down now due to the amount of customers brought on board, but no easy fix other then adding more equipment and wont be a soon thing.
He said he has been getting enough complaints and what I was telling him from my texts made absolute perfect sense.
He also said he would bring up to management about their techs saying everything needs a Hard reset to fix and bringing up 4G towers makes 3G towers go down. lol.
I had two techs laugh at that now when I told them 2 Sprint corp stores told me this.

Another point to menion. I had a friend with a Hero right next to me and his were dirt slow too, however his were a tad faster then mine.
Like he would get 500-600k, when I would get 200-300k. So now Im wondering if something with the Evos might impede too, but then again 4G cruises like a raped ape when you can get it.
Who knows if he is up to date though on antenna/prl/ect

Last edited:

japclev

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
You all probably know how I feel about my speed drop and my fix so I won't go into it.
I just wanted to add/reiterate that I didn't just have bad speedtests....I had speedtests that went right up to 128kb line and stopped all the time, everytime...

Slow speedtests that are all over the board is probably just the traffic....

hk-usp45

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Also, it is the function of how many towers network has in particular location. For example, in my area for every 1 sprint tower there is 3 from Verizon. Guess what network has more coverage and is faster.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

R32_Rocky

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I have noticed something in regards to my slow speed on 3G. I use the Speed Test application and when it seems slugish the PING time is 999ms. Every single time its slow i see this. During times when the speeds are improved, the PING time is always under 400ms. This makes me wonder if its less of a back bone issue and more of a DNS or some kind of routing issue on their system. I am in Dallas, TX. I have seen a few other threads with similar issues of slow 3G speeds. I also have tried to update my Data Profile and PRL. Right now its set up on 60669. This started a few weeks before Froyo so its not related to that. I do hope they get it fixed.

Hey, I am in Irving, not too far from you. My speeds have dropped tremendously about a week before Froyo was released. And now, I get just about 999ms ping delays every time I use sweetest. And trying to watch any video through the YouTube program is a lesson in frustration. I never get to watch a whole video to the end! I either give up and quit when it stopped for the hundredth time, or the video shuts down with the network error dialog box. It is still better than being on T-Mobile, but not by much now :'(

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Very slow for me as well in the entire Chicago area...slow response, usually, between 500Kbps - 800Kbps nowadays...latency is very bad. Very erratic. Once in a while I get 1.2Mbps, very rare though. I used to get between 1.4 - 1.9Mbps constantly. Get on it Sprint, something is going on!

500K - 800K is not "very slow"...that's right about the average that Sprint claims their 3G network is capable of under normal conditions.

While it may be slower than what you have personally experienced in the past or what others are getting now, it's not a cause for concern. At least, there is nothing wrong with the network per se, though you may be concerned it's too slow for you personally. Even those in the 200K to 400K aren't that bad, it's just the low during peak times.

This is why they push 4G so much; Sprint's 3G just isn't that fast on EVDO because it doesn't have the bandwidth to pump out those 1M+ speeds all the time.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Agentirish