Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7

Default Do you think that HTC..... Will there be an EVO2

Will keep the Evo name for its eventual successor? Or would they go the different name route?
    Last edited by Big D5; 08-15-2010 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Change title

My guess is their will be an EVO 2. Generally it seems companies will make a "2" of a successful product before moving on to a different name. It's not very often you get a "3". They generally will change to a different name at that point regardless of success.

NOPE

I think HTC is being dumb when they make products.
    HTC Magic, Dream, Eris, Hero, Legend, etc... not to mention all their WinMo phones.

They need to make a line of phones or their phones will be overshadowed by "namebrand" phones like Iphone, Droid, Galaxy S.... etc.

/rant... I could go longer, but w/e.

Evo - MIUI 1.1.28

^----Old signature.

flip phone, bb curve, pre, evo, evo3d, s4.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    396 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kedar View Post
    NOPE

I think HTC is being dumb when they make products.
    HTC Magic, Dream, Eris, Hero, Legend, etc... not to mention all their WinMo phones.

They need to make a line of phones or their phones will be overshadowed by "namebrand" phones like Iphone, Droid, Galaxy S.... etc.

/rant... I could go longer, but w/e.
    Definitely an HTC HATER LOL

Don't think he's a hater. I think he's spot on. Look what Verizon did for Android. EVERYONE thinks all Androids are "Droids". Why? Because their entire Android line are "Droids". They managed to make a very familiar product line along with very good marketing. A few days ago someone saw me playing with my phone and asked if it was a "Droid". I said technically no, it's an Android phone. All Droids are Android phones. She a very disappointed "oh" and walked away... They NEED to make a specific brand name

Default Re: Do you think that HTC.....

Quote Originally Posted by Jerzyiroc View Post
    Don't think he's a hater. I think he's spot on. Look what Verizon did for Android. EVERYONE thinks all Androids are "Droids". Why? Because their entire Android line are "Droids". They managed to make a very familiar product line along with very good marketing. A few days ago someone saw me playing with my phone and asked if it was a "Droid". I said technically no, it's an Android phone. All Droids are Android phones. She a very disappointed "oh" and walked away... They NEED to make a specific brand name
    First not all of Verizon android phones are "Droids" they do have some HTC Android phones as well.

Second, I agree. I love my Evo but if HTC doesn't do something more unique, they will be overthrown.

Still, I think I would choose HTC over a Motorola Droid any day of the week. I have had better luck with them

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk
    Personal: Sprint Galaxy Nexus LTE, Nexus 7 16gb tablet

If i have helped you, please hit the Thanks or Like button below!

Wouldn't that be up to the carrier? Just like the htc magic and the dream were renamed by the tmobile? Wouldn't sprint have a say so if there was a successor to the evo especially seeing how they worked closely with htc for the evo in the first place?

I have an Evo... not an HTC hater...

Evo - MIUI 1.1.28

^----Old signature.

flip phone, bb curve, pre, evo, evo3d, s4.

I liked "Supersonic".

Quote Originally Posted by boomhower View Post
    My guess is their will be an EVO 2. Generally it seems companies will make a "2" of a successful product before moving on to a different name. It's not very often you get a "3". They generally will change to a different name at that point regardless of success.
    What about the iphone? Isn't that technically on "4"

Quote Originally Posted by Evo soul View Post
    Will keep the Evo name for its eventual successor? Or would they go the different name route?
    The EVO is a Sprint thing not an HTC thing..... The iPhone is the the iPhone because it's Apple and Apple loves control. (which is both a good and bad thing) Apple will not allow any carrier that eventually carries the iPhone to change it's name to any thing other than the iPhone.

Internal documents before the phone was officially announced was "Super Sonic" and that is the name HTC gave the phone.

HTC is just in the business of making phones.... I don't think they really care what the carrier calls it.... With record sales and record profits they pretty much could careless what any one calls the phone as long as it's selling more than they can make... Good problem to have..

That being said, Sprint would be pretty smart if they A. pushed HTC to make a follow up device that is very similar in appearance to the EVO with improved features and B. Kept the EVO name and continued to market it as such.... Build a brand around the EVO name plate.... Get people coming back for the same thing like car companies have done for decades.... Keep the name just make improvements on it...

Quote Originally Posted by Jerzyiroc View Post
    Droid is just short for Android..... The only difference is Verizon actually pays Lucas Films to use the Droid name from Star Wars since they had copy rights on "DROID" Sprint isn't paying to use the name so yeah "Technically" the EVO is not a Droid but reality is it IS....

Verizon was smart to use the Droid name on their high end Android smart phones. It's gives people some thing to associate it with.. Heck I have had god knows how many people ask me if my EVO is the new iPhone 100 times more often than being asked if it was a Droid. (Got the same Questions when I had my Nexus One too)

Kind of like some one who's name is Johnny but his friends call him John.... TECHNICALLY his name isn't John, it's Johnny....

Too bad to. I think Verizon should call it the "Apple Finally Caved" when they finally get the iPhone

;-)

--
    Sent on my EVO 4G with Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by wrecklass View Post
    Too bad to. I think Verizon should call it the "Apple Finally Caved" ;-)

--
    LOL....

I think Verizon should just put it's money into the "Droid" phones and not even offer an iPhone.... At least with the Droid line you have options on different phones..

and I had an iPhone for 2 years.... I had no problem with my iPhone outside of AT&T's crappy coverage (In my area)

IMO "EVO" is not a great name or brand builder. i can see what Sprint was trying to accomplish and convey with this name - "EVOlution 4G" but i think it fails because it's just not very catchy or memorable and will not be easy to build a real brand name around. i think Verizon chose a great name with "DROID" and can really build that brand across many manufacturers' devices. yes yes i know that they have to pay ransom to that pimp George Lucas, but still. people see my EVO and they ask "Is that a DROID?" i think that tells us something. very effective marketing.

Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    IMO "EVO" is not a great name or brand builder. i can see what Sprint was trying to accomplish and convey with this name - "EVOlution 4G" but i think it fails because it's just not very catchy or memorable and will not be easy to build a real brand name around. i think Verizon chose a great name with "DROID" and can really build that brand across many manufacturers' devices. yes yes i know that they have to pay ransom to that pimp George Lucas, but still. people see my EVO and they ask "Is that a DROID?" i think that tells us something. very effective marketing.
    When some one ask me if it's a "DROID" I just say yes.... The only time I correct them is if they ask if it is the new iPhone...

Correcting some one and saying "No, it's not a Droid it's an EVO or Android." phone is pointless... I have even seen a guy walk into a Sprint store and ask where their "DROID" phones were and the Sprint rep said "Yes, and then said let me show you the different Android models we have."

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie317 View Post
    ... At least with the Droid line you have options on different phones..
    Good and bad. Android has too many phones right now and it's causing a lot of confusion for people looking for a new phone.

Apple is easy to choose as it is pretty much about how much storage you want.

In essence Apple has two SKU's:

3G+WiFi = iPhone
    WiFi only = iPod

--

Quote Originally Posted by wrecklass View Post
    Good and bad. Android has too many phones right now and it's causing a lot of confusion for people looking for a new phone.

Apple is easy to choose as it is pretty much about how much storage you want.

In essence Apple has two SKU's:

3G+WiFi = iPhone
    WiFi only = iPod

--
    It all depends on what you want or what your looking for.... I tend to disagree... The problem with the iPhone is it's only one model and you can only use it on AT&T..... I went to the iPhone and I hated AT&T but was locked into a contract..

I did actually like what Google did with the Nexus One... Choose the phone you want/like and then choose your carrier.... Too bad the carriers didn't go along with the plan...

The problem is some people don't get good AT&T, Verizon, Sprint or T-Mobile coverage so what if your in a dead Sprint zone but you really love the EVO? Makes no sense to get it and sign a contract if your in a bad area for Sprint.

Had the iPhone been out there on Verizon or Sprint along with AT&T I might still have an iPhone... Where I live, work and play AT&T SUCKED BIG TIME!!! But at my parents house Sprint Sucks big time and AT&T works great.... lol..

With multiple models you might think the EVO is too big but other options out there are more to your liking...

The biggest problem with Android is fragmentation of the OS and getting updates out because of all the different models and carriers you have to customize to.

well i think that Verizon's strong "DROID" marketing campaign benefits all Android carriers and manufacturers. why? because it's close enough to "Android" and helps get the OS further into the consciousness of the unwashed masses. so if someone walks into a Sprint store, AT&T store, or T-Mobile store and says "I want a DROID" the salespeople can say "yes" and point them to multiple devices with the customer being none the wiser nor harmed. so Verizon is picking up the marketing bill for everyone.

EDIT - Robbie - i wrote this before reading your reply but it seems we are mostly in agreement.
    Last edited by Gekko; 08-15-2010 at 10:18 AM.
    Thanked by 2:

Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    well i think that Verizon's strong "DROID" marketing campaign benefits all Android carriers and manufacturers. why? because it's close enough to "Android" and helps get the OS further into the consciousness of the unwashed masses. so if someone walks into a Sprint store, AT&T store, or T-Mobile store and says "I want a DROID" the salespeople can say "yes" and point them to multiple devices with the customer being none the wiser nor harmed. so Verizon is picking up the marketing bill for everyone.

EDIT - Robbie - i wrote this before reading your reply but it seems we are mostly in agreement.
    Good Times

Global Posts
    257 Global Posts
    ROM
    Decks GB 1.3d

Yeah I think there'll be an EVO 2. Sprint needs their own successful line of actual smartphones. Doesn't seem like there's ever going to be a Pre2 or Pixi2, and the Instinct may have been successful but they're feature phones. Maybe Sprint will eventually come up with their own tag for their smartphones like Verizon did but I can't think of a name. The Evo and Epic have the E thing going for them but that's it. Perhaps just tagging 4G will be their thing.

remember when every PDA was called a "Palm Pilot"?

remember when every handheld email device was called a "BlackBerry"?

Quote Originally Posted by Verdes8891 View Post
    First not all of Verizon android phones are "Droids" they do have some HTC Android phones as well.

Second, I agree. I love my Evo but if HTC doesn't do something more unique, they will be overthrown.

Still, I think I would choose HTC over a Motorola Droid any day of the week. I have had better luck with them

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk
    ALL Verizon phones are Droids... Guess yo never saw the Droid Eris or Incredible commercials where they called them... the Droid Eris and Droid Incredible..

And I kno about the whole Lucas Films stuff. My point is Verizon has made an amazing marketing campaign that yes definitely benefits all Android phones but it would still be in the best interest of HTC and Sprint to keep the Evo as a high end Android platform.

I've only had two people ask me if it was the new iPhone. I get way more people asking if it's a Droid than anything else. I do agree though. I guess it is easier to just say ya it's a Droid. By the way, went to the movies last night.. Seriously counted 12 Android phones. Only saw one iPhone.

Global Posts
    574 Global Posts

The name Droid has been marketed for Motorola phones

Quote Originally Posted by dj2big View Post
    The name Droid has been marketed for Motorola phones
    Unless my eyes deceive me or HTC is a secret subsidiary of Motorola...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast