Pics in gallery..

cespinal

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
Can anyone explain to me why when I open up the pics gallery my pictures look blurry unless I zoom slightly into the pic? After I zoom the pic becomes sharp, the same situation exists on my girlfriends Evo. Thanks for any help.

cespinal

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
So no one has experienced this? thats odd because I've had 3 different Evos in my possession and they all have done the same thing.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Same behavior. Never noticed it but it definitely snaps into 'sharp' mode if I just zoom a bit.

Obviously I must not browse my pics that often.

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I seemed to notice it when I first got my EVO, but the problem seemed to be a patience issue with me.

When I first open a picture from the gallery, it is a bit blurry I assume because it enlarges the thumbnail as a placeholder while it processes the image. If I wait a second or two, the picture clears up. The same thing happens when I double tap or pinch to zoom into an area. The picture is blurry at first, but a second or two later, it clears up.

Last note, I downloaded the Froyo 3D gallery from xda developers and when I have a picture full-screen it is fine, but when I pinch or double tap to zoom, the image stays blurry, it never re-processes the image from the original zoom state. Looks like I will be sticking with the default Sense gallery.

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Last thought, I did a hard reset last week, so maybe my EVO is able to process the pictures a bit faster. Might be worth a try.

cespinal

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
It sucks..

that nobody has an answer for this, I've been in situations where i'm trying to show someone a few pics and I have to keep zooming in and out of each pic so it can look correct. Very annoying.

cpolism

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I am having the same problem as well. I've noticed this for a while. I wonder if the problem would be resolved if we got a class 6 micro sd card. I haven't made the jump to the class 6 card yet, but would that be something that would fix the problem? Possibly loading faster?

Punkidish

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Can anyone explain to me why when I open up the pics gallery my pictures look blurry unless I zoom slightly into the pic? After I zoom the pic becomes sharp, the same situation exists on my girlfriends Evo. Thanks for any help.
WOW, i never noticed that. Weird.

cespinal

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
Its not a matter of waiting..

Stop zooming and let it sit for just a sec. You're actually making it load slower by zooming.

I've waited plenty and it doesn't make a difference, the image stays the same. I am surprised people haven't noticed this. I'm pretty sure this is an issue with if not all then many units because like I mentioned earlier I've tried this on 3 different Evos and its he same thing.

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I've waited plenty and it doesn't make a difference, the image stays the same. I am surprised people haven't noticed this. I'm pretty sure this is an issue with if not all then many units because like I mentioned earlier I've tried this on 3 different Evos and its he same thing.

It probably is on all the Evo's. I don't see why it's that annoying though.You can just touch with with two fingers and it clears up. It takes maybe half a second. I'm sure it's because the phone is still loading all the pictures. As suggested, maybe a higher class SD card would help. I have well over 1500 pictures in my album so I almost expect it to not be crystal clear when I first open the picture. Computers tend to do the same. I wouldn't get so worked up over it. Like I said you can SLIGHTLY zoom in within a second and clear it up.

cespinal

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
Nobody is getting worked up..

It probably is on all the Evo's. I don't see why it's that annoying though.You can just touch with with two fingers and it clears up. It takes maybe half a second. I'm sure it's because the phone is still loading all the pictures. As suggested, maybe a higher class SD card would help. I have well over 1500 pictures in my album so I almost expect it to not be crystal clear when I first open the picture. Computers tend to do the same. I wouldn't get so worked up over it. Like I said you can SLIGHTLY zoom in within a second and clear it up.

Nobody is getting worked up over a phone, at least I ain't. All I'm doing is pointing something out. It is annoying to me because I am a contractor for AT&T (ironically) and I use my Evo to take pics of sites for QA which I then usually show to other contractors 10-20 pics at a time, so having to do that for every pic is once again pretty ANNOYING.

Anyways for those of you who are actually interested in finding out the reason behind this; I've been playing with the camera and I think this issue is only present when u take shots in widescreen mode 5:3. Can anyone else confirm?

Caitlyn McKenzie

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Okay I see what you're describing, and really I don't see how it's a major issue. All it's doing is displaying a resized 800x480 thumbnail of the picture so it loads faster. It doesn't even look that much blurrier. In addition, zooming in, then back out again makes it reload the thumbnail, so if you didn't notice that, I don't think it's really that bad :p

Finally, if you really are bothered by it, there are alternative gallery options. Such is the good thing about Android. There's always options.

wsrep

May 18, 2010
Visit site
yea i do have this issue also. few times i thought i just took a blurry shot. 3d gallery app actually loads the picture better if your looking for a better way to show your pics w/out zooming in.

charles77k

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
mine does this as well. i have to zoom in slightly and then it will sharpen. i've tried waiting for a few minutes without zooming in but it never sharpens unless i zoom in.

JohnnyKat

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
and its not just the stock gallery...

I also use the app called Pandora (not the muisic app) and the same blur is effecting pictures in that gallery.
I have to enlarge the picture in order for it to focus! Waiting does nothing.

And it is crappy to have to adjust each picture when you are showing off a slideshow!!

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
My EVO does not exhibit that behavior at all, I would suggest either a hard reset or check to see if you have some program running that is hogging the processor.

JohnnyKat

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
Anyways for those of you who are actually interested in finding out the reason behind this; I've been playing with the camera and I think this issue is only present when u take shots in widescreen mode 5:3. Can anyone else confirm?

my blur is not just effecting picture I take with the camera, but also images I receive from mms, and images moved onto the SD card!

Some are not as bad as others, but there is a noticeable difference on all pictures, from when the photo opens in the gallery to when I manually enlarge it.

Caitlyn McKenzie

May 17, 2010
Visit site
My EVO does not exhibit that behavior at all, I would suggest either a hard reset or check to see if you have some program running that is hogging the processor.

It affects all EVOs unless you're not running stock ROM. In fact, it probably affects all HTC Sense devices period, since it's the Gallery application, not the device.

Again, this isn't a bug, it's a choice of speed over quality. A slight quality loss in exchange for much faster picture speeds.

Use a different gallery app if it's a problem.

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
It affects all EVOs unless you're not running stock ROM. In fact, it probably affects all HTC Sense devices period, since it's the Gallery application, not the device.

Again, this isn't a bug, it's a choice of speed over quality. A slight quality loss in exchange for much faster picture speeds.

Use a different gallery app if it's a problem.

I don't know why it is different on mine, but I have never rooted my EVO and I'm running the OTA 2.2 update. Nothing but stock (right now).

That seems to be an exception to the "all" that you mention. I take all of my pictures at the full resolution (8MP at 5:3 widescreen).

When I'm in the gallery, I tap an image to view it, and it goes to full-screen and is in focus in about 1/2 a second. Same thing if I zoom in to a portion.

Is this a different process than what others are doing to replicate the problem?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995