FINALLY!!! My 3G Airave is working with my EVO

deaofly

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Ok so why did you waste your money and get one of these? Ok 1st of all, you HAVE to use your own internet connection to get it working, why didn't you just get a WiFi router? You got this just to get 3g, you can use WiFi on your phone which is faster, cheaper, and you need to have a Internet Connect to get 3g. To me its a complete waste of money when you can just use WiFi.

Kash76

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Ok so why did you waste your money and get one of these? Ok 1st of all, you HAVE to use your own internet connection to get it working, why didn't you just get a WiFi router? You got this just to get 3g, you can use WiFi on your phone which is faster, cheaper, and you need to have a Internet Connect to get 3g. To me its a complete waste of money when you can just use WiFi.

Not all phones on my account have WiFi. Sometimes it's not convenient to turn on wifi either.

I throw the question to you, why not have it if it's free?

akarol

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I am especially interested in the range difference?! My old one would cut out right on my front porch where I talk on the phone the most. If this would gimme a bit more range, I'm sold.

deaofly

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Ok I deft see why, yes I have a few phones that don't have WiFi. I really want the Wimax 4g mini tower that they have in other countries. It doesn't use no internet connection, only uses power plug. In other countries they have problems with wimax signal not going thru walls so they have mini towers. It's just like having a real wimax tower in your house to get all that 4g goodness. That's what I want, not something that needs to use my internet connection. Hell I would pay a $100 for a wimax mini tower. I wonder if I can get 1 and import it to work with the Evo?

dusty78

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site

Well its doesn't help me to have my phone on WiFi if I can't make calls. CS no longer has the old Airaves so its the 3g or nothing.

imex99

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Well its doesn't help me to have my phone on WiFi if I can't make calls. CS no longer has the old Airaves so its the 3g or nothing.

They do have the old airaves also.... My airave broke and they sent me the secone model with no 3g. I read online about the new airave 2.0 they call it and called CS/Retentions and they replaced my newly replaced airave(last week) with the new 3g airave with no costs!!!

imex99

May 16, 2010
Visit site

Why does it matter your using your OWN internet? I have a wireless router that routes my internet in my house and they gave me the 3g airave 2.0 at no cost.... I have my airave hooked up via ethernet cable from my wireless router, my ps3, xbox 360, roku, 2 laptops,desktop and our cell phones all by wifi.

dusty78

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
In my new apt before the Airave I got 0-1 bar of service and 3-4hrs of battery life when at home. I now get full bars and 15+ hours of battery life with heavy usage. When I spoke to CS last week they didn't have any of the older Airaves left. They first tried to send me a free refurbished non-3G Airave but they didn't have anymore. Then they tried to send me a new non-3G Airave and didn't have those anymore either. They then told me that they were no longer stocking the older Airaves and sent me the 3G. I guess some of you folks are somehow offended by the mere existence of a 3G Airave but for people like me who need them they are a life saver.

Mark_in_Tulsa

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
Ok I deft see why, yes I have a few phones that don't have WiFi. I really want the Wimax 4g mini tower that they have in other countries. It doesn't use no internet connection, only uses power plug. In other countries they have problems with wimax signal not going thru walls so they have mini towers. It's just like having a real wimax tower in your house to get all that 4g goodness. That's what I want, not something that needs to use my internet connection. Hell I would pay a $100 for a wimax mini tower. I wonder if I can get 1 and import it to work with the Evo?

What you're talking about would be just an antenna booster, if it doesn't connect to your internet.

TheOnlyMorgan

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Yeah Sprint for the most part will give you these for free if you tell them your signal in your home is horrible. It would be a very useful device as dusty said, the use of the internet connection to give the phone full signal strength will keep it from having to constantly search in low signal strength areas, thus improving battery life. And if I'm not mistaken, if you get an Airave, all calls made through it don't go towards your anytime minutes since you're using your internet connection and not Sprint's network.

Mark_in_Tulsa

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site

I don't think you understand what this is for. It's so he can make phone calls from home, because he gets a weak cell phone signal.

deaofly

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Wow we are on page 4 and people are still commenting about what I said on page one. I already followed up on the OP's answer about him having really poor signal. I thought he was saying he was using it to get better 3g service, not that he had poor signals. Also to someone else's question about the wimax mini tower from another country, I only read it saying there's no need for a internet connection with the mini tower for 4g. With the airwave it says you use your existing broadband connection to boost your Sprint signal. That's what I read.

R32_Rocky

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if I could get one too? The 3G signal is also horrible in my apartment, though way better than what I had with my HD2 on T-Mobile. With them, I was lucky if I even has 2 bars if EDGE!

As for WiFi, for some reason my at&t 2wire wireless router is horrible! I have tried changing channels, resetting it, etc. No matter what I do though, not only does it keep dropping the connection, but just going into another room and I loose the signal. And even when connected, my 3G is still faster at web browsing. So yes, for me the Airwave would be a blessing.

McPlot

May 25, 2010
Visit site
If you have really bad reception in your place, I can see using one. But it uses your broadband connection at home to make the calls or access data on your phone. Yet Sprint still counts it as using minutes or data. So I do not know why someone without reception problems in the home would use one.

syreeder

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
My take-away after talking with the Sprint Rep is that making calls while connected to your Airave 2.0 device would ALWAYS deduct the minutes from your anytime minutes, regardless of whether the call was made during nights/weekends/etc.

Did anyone else hear this, or can anyone who currently has the new Airave hooked up confirm the contrary?

syreeder

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
My take-away after talking with the Sprint Rep is that making calls while connected to your Airave 2.0 device would ALWAYS deduct the minutes from your anytime minutes, regardless of whether the call was made during nights/weekends/etc.

Did anyone else hear this, or can anyone who currently has the new Airave hooked up confirm the contrary?