Google Maps Crash

Prkl8r

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Maybe someone else has had this problem. I am running stock Android 2.2 and have had my Evo for almost 3 months now. All of a sudden Google Maps (my most used app), craps out within the first 10 seconds of starting every time I open it up. I had updated it to the latest version 4.4(?) as soon as it came out and it worked perfectly until yesterday. I had not added any new apps in the past week that might have caused a conflict. I have not had any problems with any other apps force closing until this.

I have already tried uninstalling the update, and reinstalling.
Already did a hard reset, both to no avail. I'd REALLY like to get this working again so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

-mP

bradart

May 30, 2010
Visit site
This happened to me. What ended up fixing it was going into the built-in application manager and clearing the data for google maps. Then i ran maps and logged back in to latitude. Working like a champ now.

Brett636

May 3, 2010
Visit site
I've cleared the data as well, but it is still crashing on me, and it also began doing this just the other day. I hope I can get it working again because it is much better than Sprint nav.

Go Blue

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
I am seeing same issue. I uninstalled the 4.4 update and went back to the stock maps app, and that worked fine. Reinstalled the update, and crash issue happened again. Repeat uninstall and reinstall and same results. Stock EVO with 2.2 update.

bzxzlg

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
It's not been 100% though ... I noticed this behaviour started on/around Wednesday evening ... Did a variety of things - clear data, uninstall/reinstall updates, even went to an extreme of factory reset - and the behaviour has persisted - go figure ... I have found though that a brute-force attempt at using the app does get it to eventually work ... Anyone else?

clsiburt

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I was using CM6 RC2 and noticed the same issue on Thursday night. I asumed i was the ROM, so I switched back to Fresh 3.1.0.1. I haven't noticed it since, but after reading this thread I'm wondering if it's just a matter of time before it happens again.

Prkl8r

May 18, 2010
Visit site
So after the hard reset. I tried AGAIN erasing data and uninstalling update and it seems to be working fine. Unfortunately I can't offer a step by step as to what exactly fixed the problem (if it is even perminently fixed at all). I think I am going to hold off on
4.4 until another release comes out.

redriverd

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Yep, having the same issue. I didn't notice it until yesterday, I am thinking I used maps earlier this week with no issues, but now when I turn it on my phone shuts down and comes back on. I have done a hard reset as well, no help.

trustnot

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
same here. takes forever for the maps app to load and then when it does, as soon as i find what i am trying to search for, the phone reboots. tried hard resetting and reinstalled the latest maps version, but still have the problems.

i am also having other rebooting problems. will reboot when using apps and then will go into a 4-5 reboot loop right after the sd card is prepared. i am thinking of going in for a replacement and see how that goes. if not i think i might dump the phone for an epic 4g, but i really dont want to since i love the evo.

drjb74

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I have been having the same problem. It started for me a few days ago. I bought the HTC car dock, and I thought maybe that was the problem (using the car panel or something). It's nice to know that I am not the only one having this issue. It makes me believe that it is a software issue.

I have this issue with Sprint Nav as well. Perhaps it is something with my GPS.

drjb74

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I have been browsing through some other forums, and wondering if anyone having this reset problem has noticed their batteries and/or phone being very hot when the resets occur? I never really paid attention to it, but thinking back, my phone became very hot when the resets occured, which also coincided with using Google and/or Sprint Nav?

Perhaps something with one or both of the nav programs or GPS is causing the CPU to work harder, heating up the phone and battery, and cause the resets? In my office and at home, when the phone is sitting, or plugged in and charging, I do not have the reset issue.

bzxzlg

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I haven't had the issue since I last posted here a few weeks ago ... And haven't changed the way I use my phone one iota ... Still beat'n the you know what out of it and lov'n the solid response.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz