finally decided to oder my EVO!

smileshappy

May 17, 2010
Visit site
So I finally decided to order my EVO. Going to be my birthday gift.

Decided to go with the white one from BEST BUY. I like how smooth and shinny it is. Plus it will be different from all black ones. They told me 3 weeks white or black!

I was order #20 for the day at 1:00p.m.!! They said sales are still strong even with the Epic coming out! I thought maybe it would drop. Guess not.

The Best Buy rep said everyone keeps talking about how Engadget says in their test It just beats the I-Phone 4!!

So I am really excited.. Can't wait to retire my curve 8330. This forum has helped out a lot with my decision!

werx

Banned
Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
Beats the iPhone 4 in what exactly? Cuz screen quality the iPhone destroys the Evo. Speeds the Evo wins with 4g. Overall smoothness the iPhone eats the Evo alive.

Moral of the story:

Best Buy salesmen don't know ****.

N8DOGGNY

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
good luck with your Evo when you get it, I myself have been waiting saving up money, stalking androidcenrtal lol , and it was my birthday on monday so I orgered one too WOOT!!! now if it would just ship lol

smileshappy

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Beats the I-Phone in

•Can tether
•Don't have to jail break to customize
•can video chat with out having to be on wifi!
•Can hold the phone any way you please.(Yes the antenna issue is for real)

I have done the research. The I-Phone is a nice phone. I work with several people that own them. But it's only 3.7". Sure it looks good. But 4.3" is better to see and view the web!

Flip

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
Congrats this phone smoookes the iPhone ULL love it but b careful with with the haterz cause they'll always talk s h I t about the EVO simply cause its the best phone out there

smileshappy

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I am also anxious to try the video chat. All my family moved to Florida from here in Mich (wife doesn't want to move yet). It would be a nice feature. I know I am not expecting super clear video. Heck we all video chat on our sprint mobile air cards for the laptop. That can be grainy at times. But just to be able to see each other even for a little grainy chat will be cool.

I am really hoping my order comes in sooner than 3 weeks.

strick1226

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Beats the I-Phone in

?Can tether
?Don't have to jail break to customize
?can video chat with out having to be on wifi!
?Can hold the phone any way you please.(Yes the antenna issue is for real)

I have done the research. The I-Phone is a nice phone. I work with several people that own them. But it's only 3.7". Sure it looks good. But 4.3" is better to see and view the web!

Definitely sounds like you did your research!

I know the LCD screen on the EVO might not be as super high-res as the one on the iPhone 4, but it sure is *easier* on the eyes of most people older than 13. :D

More importantly, though, I greatly prefer the open Android platform to Apple's walled garden and the unlimited Sprint bandwidth vs. AT&T's metered data plans. But to each his own--people happy with iPhone 3x series equipment will most likely love the new iPhone, and I'm happy for them. There is no one perfect device for everyone person and every situation.

The EVO isn't perfect but it's a great device, with far more advantages and features than drawbacks. From what I can tell, Froyo seems to have made some nice changes, especially in regards to battery life and overall system stability.

Enjoy your new phone, bhappy! It truly is a mini computer, likely far more capable than any other portable electronics you've experienced.

frankiepapa

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
If you are coming from a Blackberry Curve 8330 you will be 10x as happy. I did the same and almost can't believe that I used to have the curve. It seems like a toy compared to the EVO!! You will enjoy. Speed, screen size, APPS, the list goes on!!

PS I am glad this thread didn't start, "ordered an evo, what are some good apps to use"!!

heberman

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm not nitpicking the iphone - it looks like a great phone. However, one of the things I LOVE about the Android devices is the Google integration. Gmail and Google Voice are fantastic on the Evo! I would really miss the advanced features Google puts on Android devices - and no where else.

The one thing the iphone has that I want on my Evo: Netflix.

deaofly

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Yea but it comes with a samsung 8gig SD card and can be upgraded to a 32gig SD card. Video chat on the evo is not the clearest but its works without wifi. Hell my wife was in Kentucky with family and had low reception, but we still (from WiFi to low 3g signal) had a good video chat. It's skipped here and there with video and audio BUT it worked and we both could still see each other. Here's some tips, when you get your Evo, check for a HTC update to make sure you have the Froyo 2.2 software, if you like gameloft games, go to gameloft.com with your Evo to check out there HD games. You don't need task killer's on your Evo since Froyo takes care of your running apps and keeps you with great battery life. If your Not in a 4g area or around a WiFi spot then turn it off so it doesn't keep scanning for a signal a drain your battery.

Mdorty

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Yea but it comes with a samsung 8gig SD card and can be upgraded to a 32gig SD card. Video chat on the evo is not the clearest but its works without wifi. Hell my wife was in Kentucky with family and had low reception, but we still (from WiFi to low 3g signal) had a good video chat. It's skipped here and there with video and audio BUT it worked and we both could still see each other. Here's some tips, when you get your Evo, check for a HTC update to make sure you have the Froyo 2.2 software, if you like gameloft games, go to gameloft.com with your Evo to check out there HD games. You don't need task killer's on your Evo since Froyo takes care of your running apps and keeps you with great battery life. If your Not in a 4g area or around a WiFi spot then turn it off so it doesn't keep scanning for a signal a drain your battery.

Yeah, this is true. A decent amount of the apps can be installed/moved to the SD card. In reality, you probably won't reach the internal memory limit with just apps, and the 8gig SD card that it comes with is plenty for most things. If you want to put all your music on it and some video, get a 16 or 32 gig SD card :)

smileshappy

May 17, 2010
Visit site
So to give an update...

I called the Sprint store.. asked any evo's available? The guy says yep a shipment came in. He said you better hurry if you want one!!!!. So I flew out the door with my son!

I get there at 10:20. store opens at 10:00. There were 30 people there!!!! my heart about sank... but this store you have to check in and get on the appt list. Some people did not do that.
So after 35 minutes of waiting... My name is called!!! cute girl goes how can I help you? I was like if you have an evo I want it... she checks... heart pounding after playing with the floor model for 25minutes... she goes yep I have one!!! I said sold!!!

She even transferred all my data/contacts from my curve to the evo. That was nice.
I have not bought a phone in a Sprint store in a long long time. I must say they have really changed how they treat the customer... in a very good way! Still wish I. didn't have to do the ma in rebate.... but to not have to wait for if. I will live.

I have been doing the happy dance all day long. Wife thinks I am nuts. I love this phone. It is so Damn fast!! I am getting very decent at the keyboard. My thumbs/hands are big too. I can actually type better than I did on my blackbery!

Oh yeah forgot to say the spent store I went to said... they are not doing a waiting list a anymore... it's first come first serve... so anyone looking for an evo should call around.

Right now I am one happy evo owner!!

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
So to give an update...

I called the Sprint store.. asked any evo's available? The guy says yep a shipment came in. He said you better hurry if you want one!!!!. So I flew out the door with my son!

I get there at 10:20. store opens at 10:00. There were 30 people there!!!! my heart about sank... but this store you have to check in and get on the appt list. Some people did not do that.
So after 35 minutes of waiting... My name is called!!! cute girl goes how can I help you? I was like if you have an evo I want it... she checks... heart pounding after playing with the floor model for 25minutes... she goes yep I have one!!! I said sold!!!

She even transferred all my data/contacts from my curve to the evo. That was nice.
I have not bought a phone in a Sprint store in a long long time. I must say they have really changed how they treat the customer... in a very good way! Still wish I. didn't have to do the ma in rebate.... but to not have to wait for if. I will live.

I have been doing the happy dance all day long. Wife thinks I am nuts. I love this phone. It is so Damn fast!! I am getting very decent at the keyboard. My thumbs/hands are big too. I can actually type better than I did on my blackbery!

Oh yeah forgot to say the spent store I went to said... they are not doing a waiting list a anymore... it's first come first serve... so anyone looking for an evo should call around.

Congrats.... It's a pretty sweet phone...

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
So to give an update...

I thought you wanted the white one? To me the color doesn't matter one bit. I usually am not the type of person that puts a case on his phone, but with the Evo I feel that I have to because of the camera getting scratched up if you don't. By the way, the iPhone screen is 3.5" still, not 3.7", and to me, it looks tiny. My friend has an iPhone 4, and yeah, the screen is nice and clear, but it's not like the Evo has a blurry mess of a screen. Most people that buy an Evo will have upgraded from a phone with much lower resolution, so when going to an Evo, if anything, you'll get blown away by how nice it looks compared to whatever your old low res screen had to offer. Then when you see an iPhone 4 you will probably do two things:

1. Say "omg that thing is small"
2. Wonder what all the hoopla with the high res screen is about

I just had to "work" on two iPhone 3GS's and the browser that I used to admire, now looked like fuzzy crap in comparison.

Either way, congrats on your new Evo, and don't forget to cancel your order at Best Buy.