Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Evo Keeps Launching Car Panel

So I've had a pretty good experience with my Evo up until last night when it started to act up. I was over at a friend's house and needed to charge so I plugged my phone into his laptop. That's when I noticed it had launched the car panel despite locking it at the home screen. When I got home and took my phone out to play with it kept launching the car panel app and when I close out, it just relaunches. I've also noticed that whenever I make a call it defaults to speakerphone.

It would seem as if my phone thinks it's in a car dock when I have never hooked it up in such a way.

I took the phone to my sprint dealer which is also a repair center and the guy at the desk wasn't much help. It's really inconvenient and makes it near impossible to do anything because the car panel overrides any application I have open. And it's a HUGE battery drain and causes the phone to heat up when in my pocket.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. And a huge thanks in advance.

Symptoms include:
    • Continuously launching and relaunching Car Panel
    • Automatically turns on speakerphone when making calls

So far I have tried:
    • Resetting to factory defaults
    • Hard reset (holding down volume while booting)
    • Formatting SD card

A little more info that may be of use: I haven't rooted or modded my phone in any way. Running 2.2 Froyo. Got the phone about three weeks ago.

Did you check your settings in Car Panel and make sure you don't have the automatically sign in box checked?
    Palm Pre,Blackberry,HTC Evo 4g, HTC Evo LTE, Samsung Galaxy 2.10 Tablet, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Galaxy S5
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I already unchecked the setting, but the problem persists. I've even tried killing the application, but it just relaunches.

I've also tried taking my battery out and letting it sit overnight. When I put the battery back in this morning the same thing was happening.

From the very limited information I can find, it seems that the car dock uses a jumper between pin 4 (usually unused) and pin 5 to tell the phone that it is a car dock.

You might want to take a look at the micro-usb connector in your phone to see if there is any junk in there that might be shorting pin 4 and pin 5.

It could also that the a problem is on the inside of your phone, in which case a swap is probably your best alternative.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by RocketJeff View Post
    From the very limited information I can find, it seems that the car dock uses a jumper between pin 4 (usually unused) and pin 5 to tell the phone that it is a car dock.

You might want to take a look at the micro-usb connector in your phone to see if there is any junk in there that might be shorting pin 4 and pin 5.

It could also that the a problem is on the inside of your phone, in which case a swap is probably your best alternative.
    Nice insight! I actually thought that something might have drifted into my usb port so I got a can of compressed air and cleaned out the connectors on my phone and so far it seems to be back to normal. I'll see how it fares for the rest of the day.

I had this issue and I found out it was actually my micro USB cable. Depending on which one you have, it will launch the car panel when plugged in. The one that comes with the phone will not (or at least should not) do this.

Global Posts
    2 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RocketJeff View Post

Ive seen this happen to a customer just now. there was slight corrosion on the charger port. cleaned it off and it didnt pop up right away. had customer try it out. I figured it had to do with it emulating a charger port/car dock.

Default Re: Evo Keeps Launching Car Panel

hey guys, I'm having the same problem. My phone automatically goes to speaker phone every time I make a call and it's really annoying!
    I tried cleaning the USB port with compressed air as one of you suggested but the problem hasn't been resolved. Any other suggestions?? I just got this phone and I really dont' want to have to replace it!

Default Re: Evo Keeps Launching Car Panel

Hey i had the exact same problem, but my evo would also go straight to speaker phone every call, it has to do with the usb and some crap, but the only solution really is just take it to sprint(which sucks) and they will more than likely swap it out for a new or refurbished one like they did with me. they'll try reinstalling the software to see if it will fix it, but it didnt work for me (atleast), so i got a new one....there wasnt anysolution that i could find on the web after searching for a couple days.