So Evo 30FPS Cap = Lag?

evosaurusrex

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
Im on Sprint and was getting ready to get an Evo until I heard of the Fps cap. I watched a few videos demonstrating what the cap does to performance. Here's one.
YouTube - HTC Evo Scrolling Lag vs HTC Hero (Possibly due to 30fps cap on Evo)

I heard the Galaxy S, Droids, and other HTC phones don't have this cap. So why did HTC cap it on the Evo? It makes scrolling and just navigating through menus, apps, screens and gameplay more sluggish then it should be.

A lot of people are saying the cap wont be fixed through updates but I suppose rooting might? If not I might have to go with the Epic. What do you think?

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
The fps does affect general UI movement like scrolling and switching through home screens. Of course it also affects gaming but not every body uses their Evo for gaming so it's really the UI lag compared to other devices that really makes it annoying. I don't think it will be "fixed" or uncapped through an update from HTC. There are kernals that you can install if you root. However, right now there is no way to root with 2.2 but I'm sure that will change in the coming weeks. With all that said I would NOT let the fps cap scare you away from the Evo. Other than the annoying fps and a few other bugs with 2.2 (which I'm sure will be ironed out with an update from HTC) it's a really really really good phone. I haven't had any time with an Epic obviously, but I have wit both the Vibrant and Captivate. PERSONALLY I hate Touchwiz with a passion. HTC Sense is in every way possible better than Touchwiz. But again, that's my personal opinion. Some people hate Sense some people love it. If you haven't already, go play with an Evo and play with a Vibrant or Captivate. If you like the UI and other features from the Evo better than the others then get the Evo. Don't let the fps cap stop you from getting it. It's such an amazing phone. There's always rooting whenever a way to root is found with the Evo to eliminate the fps issue.

bjordan

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
HTC said they capped the Evo at 30fps for the HDMI output. It'd be great if the system would only use the 30fps cap when the HDMI port is being used. No word if that's possible or not.

There are ROM's out there that uncap the fps (I'm not sure which ones). A friend of mine is running one though and runs at around 50fps. I don't believe HDMI out works on those ROM's though (I might be wrong though)

To be honest my Evo has never seemed laggy or jerky when scrolling, swiping through home screens, etc.. Looking at it even knowing it's capped it seems pretty smooth to me. Sure I'd prefer no cap, but having the cap doesn't make it a terrible experience IMO.

Mike20PR

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
Htc don't plan on fixing this, they said that its required for the hdmi output which is a load of crap since the droid x has hdmi and it's uncapped, also the incredible doesn't have the cap and performance is much better than the evo, and the cap was supposed to increase performance by their logic... Scrolling speed and smoothness is greatly affected. The Aria embarrassed me and the evo when I compared smoothness, its frustrating to have such a powerful device and with such a disappointing set back

Your best bet is to root and install a uncapped kernel unfortunately for stuck 2.2 users like me

evosaurusrex

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
User interfaces don't mattter much to me because I'll be putting either ADW or Launcher Pro on my device as they're the smoothest option out there. But I do like Sense better than touchwiz.

I like the Evo's form factor, screen size and feel better but the Epic's specs are better overall. That 16gb memory and 1ghz processor are very nice but I don't want the slideout keyboard.

Maybe i'll take the Evo for a test run for 29 days and also see how it compares to the epic.

evosaurusrex

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
Htc don't plan on fixing this, they said that its required for the hdmi output which is a load of crap since the droid x has hdmi and it's uncapped, also the incredible doesn't have the cap and performance is much better than the evo, and the cap was supposed to increase performance by their logic... Scrolling speed and smoothness is greatly affected. The Aria embarrassed me and the evo when I compared smoothness, its frustrating to have such a powerful device and with such a disappointing set back

Your best bet is to root and install a uncapped kernel unfortunately for stuck 2.2 users like me

Yea kinda sad that the Aria is smoother than the Evo. Still bugs me that Htc would cripple such a great phone. :(

Itchiee

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
If the Evo is capped you'd never really notice for the most part, it's still a very fast phone. I have really no issues with mine (stock), so its not a problem. I do think that Sense may be a little piggish at times (I've used it on the WinMo side) and why others are finding better luck with other launchers if not using stock Android. This was also why I used SPB Mobile Shell on WinMo, highly customizable and used much less resources.

It was rumored they were making the jump to Android but it has kinda feel silent (Or I haven't been following up).

So in summation the Evo is still a wonderful phone with the few shortcomings fixed by other users.

jamex

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I tried asphalt 5 and it lagged so yes it does cause lag. The game did not perform well on the nexus either so not sure.

evosaurusrex

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
I tried asphalt 5 and it lagged so yes it does cause lag. The game did not perform well on the nexus either so not sure.

Gaming isn't as good on the Evo (or other Snapdragons) as it is on the Galaxy S phones or Motorola Droids.

And that's due to the Adreno Gpu on the HTC phones.

evosaurusrex

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
And btw, im getting the Evo tomorrow. :)

I decided that I just didn't like the sliding keyboard on the Epic. I would rather have a full touchscreen and the Evo's specs, while not as good as the Epic's, are good enough for day to day use.

youngzayiles

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Personnaly I think the 30 FPS cap has been blown a little out of proportion... Truthfully most people wouldn't even know if they were not a part of the forums... Its just fine for me... A hard core phone gamer may not feel the same though... Its just most people join the forums and see that and then they are like omg...

Mdorty

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Uh, the 30fps cap has nothing to do with scrolling choppiness, etc. Switch to a different launcher (I use LauncherPro) and you won't get lag when scrolling through the app drawer, etc. A friend of mine has the Droid X and it's just as chopping scrolling the app drawer as the Evo (using Sense) is.

Mdorty

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site

Which has little to do with the fps cap...snapdragon cpu's have different gpu's than the hummingbirds, etc.

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Gaming isn't as good on the Evo (or other Snapdragons) as it is on the Galaxy S phones or Motorola Droids.

And that's due to the Adreno Gpu on the HTC phones.

Has nothing to do with the Adreno GPU, the Nexus One has the exact same GPU and is capable of 60fps. So no that is not the case, it's just HTC's silly cap. Also to the user that said the 60fps has nothing to do with the scrolling. 100% incorrect

15 FPS vs. 30 FPS vs. 60 FPS - A Visual Comparison

Here is to everyone thinking the fluidity has nothing to do with FPS. The slower FPS also affects the touch response and the refresh rate.

Mike20PR

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
Has nothing to do with the Adreno GPU, the Nexus One has the exact same GPU and is capable of 60fps. So no that is not the case, it's just HTC's silly cap. Also to the user that said the 60fps has nothing to do with the scrolling. 100% incorrect

Here is to everyone thinking the fluidity has nothing to do with FPS. The slower FPS also affects the touch response and the refresh rate.

thanks for this

maybe it will show some people that the 30 fps cap is not only for gaming but enhancing the overall experience of the device

Mdorty

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site

No one said the gpu was responsible for the 30fps cap, we were saying the gpu is responsible for the lagginess on some 3d games.

And yes, the 30fps cap MIGHT have a SMALL effect on scrolling, etc., but just simply changing from Sense to LauncherPro eliminated all lagginess between home screens and the app drawer for me, and I'm unrooted. 30 fps is perfectly fine for almost everything people do with the phone. I haven't noticed it being laggy on scrolling or watching anything, at least not anything due to an fps cap. If something is running at 30fps, its going to look pretty smooth. If something is moving jaggedly and laggily (lol), its running at less than 30fps...

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
No one said the gpu was responsible for the 30fps cap, we were saying the gpu is responsible for the lagginess on some 3d games.

And yes, the 30fps cap MIGHT have a SMALL effect on scrolling, etc., but just simply changing from Sense to LauncherPro eliminated all lagginess between home screens and the app drawer for me, and I'm unrooted. 30 fps is perfectly fine for almost everything people do with the phone. I haven't noticed it being laggy on scrolling or watching anything, at least not anything due to an fps cap. If something is running at 30fps, its going to look pretty smooth. If something is moving jaggedly and laggily (lol), its running at less than 30fps...

The GPU wouldn't have lagginess if it was capped. I know this, because I have two rooted Evo's next to me running 60fps. No lag in games at all... Just watch that link I posted, you can tell the smoothness is so much better on 60fps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34