Automatic Updates Not...Updating?

Tattrpuff

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
So anyone else having issues with Automatic Updates not updating? When i first moved up to 2.2 there were a couple apps that just started downloading and updating. Since then I have not seen this. I always have to check for updates, and when I have, I go through all of my apps that allow auto updates and checked the appropriate box. Still can't get auto updates. At first I thought well it has to run a cycle and you have to run one update on 2.2 before it starts doing Auto Updates, but Facebook, Twitter are two I know for sure that have been updated since 2.2 and neither one of them have auto updated since. Anyone else having issues or have had issues?

Thanks!

Stock 2.2 Rooted Rom

Last edited:

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
For some reason, because Facebook is default software on the EVO, it doesn't go looking for updates unless you have already updated it through the market and select "automatically update."

Also, programs that you transferred to the SD card can not automatically update.

sasha

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
And correct me if I'm wrong apps that need permissions for contacts, gps, and other personal info have to be updated manually.

Tattrpuff

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
For some reason, because Facebook is default software on the EVO, it doesn't go looking for updates unless you have already updated it through the market and select "automatically update."

Also, programs that you transferred to the SD card can not automatically update.

Facebook was just an example. There have been others apps, but not for sure exactly which ones. And as I stated before, I have all of my app checked for automatic updates. I also do not have any apps on my SD card

And correct me if I'm wrong apps that need permissions for contacts, gps, and other personal info have to be updated manually.

You are correct and these apps will say "manual update required" in red which I've seen on some of my apps recently.

Last edited:

Tattrpuff

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Ok...so what does Automatic Updates actually do...I mean how do you know if it automatically updated. Does it just show in the notification bar that something installed?

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Ok...so what does Automatic Updates actually do...I mean how do you know if it automatically updated. Does it just show in the notification bar that something installed?

My experience has been that it really only kicks in when you log in to the market and hit the downloads button. Or wipe and then login.

I don't think I've ever seen it just start updating out of the blue.

It does make it easier that I don't have to go in to each app and hit update.

(this is on a cm6 aosp rom)

sasha

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site

Good question I may have to test this on my phone I currently have nothing set for auto update cause I like to read the reviews before updating anything, but it would be nice to know if that setting actually worked!

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site

They will update automatically when you open the market app and there is an update available. And they will show in the notification window that they are updating or have completed an update.

Tattrpuff

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
They will update automatically when you open the market app and there is an update available. And they will show in the notification window that they are updating or have completed an update.

This is what I thought...then of course mine is not working. I even left the Amazon Update in the market all day, haven't even gotten a notification. I only get those sporadically. But I believe that's how the market is...it's not instant. But I wish I could get auto update to work...cause I find myself check 3 or 4 times a day, just so I don't miss something.:cool:

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
just fielding a question, of every one who are only getting prompted for auto updates when they open market,

Who is using a task killer, and kills the market app when not in use?

I thought this may be my issue, any ideas?

Mdorty

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
just fielding a question, of every one who are only getting prompted for auto updates when they open market,

I don't think your task killer is the issue. I've got all of my apps set to auto update, but, like the others in this thread, they don't update automatically. No task killer here.

Tattrpuff

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site

No task killer here LJ...I do have MiniFreeManager...but it's not really a task killer per se. And with the way it uses the native memory management, the market would be the last thing that would get killed off as I understand it. But just for the heck of it I may shut it off for a day or so to see if this helps at all. But even if this was the case when I opened the market, it should start automatically update when there is one.