1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts

Default Camcorde Evo 4g

The fustration that Im going through with me evo. This past monday i was using my phone taking pictures. All of the sudden the camcorder stopped working. I pulled the battery out and restarted the phone but the problem presisted. I finally decided to hard reset it and i did. I was expecting it to fix the problem with the phone but it didnt. I went to the sprint store the same say and they decided to send me a new phone. I received the phone today. I downloaded all my apps again but I decided to check out the camcorder to see if it was working. To my surprise the camcorder still isnt working. I just came back from sprint store and i told them what ive been through with this phone. They are currently checking my phone but i already know what the outcome is going to be.

Weird timing. I have also been having problems with the camera and camcorder and hearing your story I think I know what it is: the SD card.

Did you get a new one?

Here is why I say this: last night my camera and camcorder were performing very poorly. The view was very hitchy and lagging a lot. The whole phone was also slow. Finally I could not exit the camera or camcorder by pressing back. I could only get out by pressing home.

I did the reboot just like you, it didn't work. So I shut down the phone, pulled the SD card, and rebooted. Voila! Back to normal speed.

Why would the SD card affect these apps? Simple: the Gallery. In both camera and camcorder mode there is a gallery preview. I think a corrupted movie was causing my problem but also even after deleting this movie my gallery performance is still really bad. So this leads me to believe that the SD card is still hosed.

Interestingly these problems all started after I tried to use the SD Speed Tester app from the Market. The app crashed in the middle of the test and caused my EVO to reboot. Ever since then things have been fishy.

I hope this helps.
    Last edited by Bigtuna00; 08-25-2010 at 04:50 PM.

Forgot to mention that I have not tried reformatting the SD card yet because it was late last night and I didn't want to lose all my music before the work day

I was planning to try this tonight but i've actually got a 32 gb card waiting at home in the mail so I may not bother.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts

Well I didnt try to remove the sd card because I assumed that wouldnt cause the problem. I took it into sprint so they could check it out but i already know that they are going to send me another phone.

The camcorder wouldnt allow me to exit. I constantly kept on hitting the home button to get out.

Global Posts
    64 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtuna00 View Post
    Forgot to mention that I have not tried reformatting the SD card yet because it was late last night and I didn't want to lose all my music before the work day

I was planning to try this tonight but i've actually got a 32 gb card waiting at home in the mail so I may not bother.
    Good luck with the new card solving your problems. Brand, price, speed of the card you bought?
    Thanks

I too notice a couple days ago that the camcorder was not functioning properly on my Evo. I was trying to shoot a video of my daughter riding a tube being pulled by our boat and when I pressed the record button everything else on the screen disappeared apart from the record button. The record feature didn't even start. When I moved the phone around the screen seemed to lag and freeze. I tried to hit the back, home, menu and search key but none of them did a thing.

After a short while the phone gave me an error message about the Sense ui needing to force close. When the phone finally returned to the home screen everything was running slow. Swiping from screen to screen, apps opening everything. When I got back to the house about an hour or so later I had my phone sitting on my lap and I could feel through my shorts the phone heating up intensely. I pulled the battery immediately and started the phone back up and tried the Camcorder feature again to no avail and with pretty much the same problems.

I've tried rebooting the phone, I've tried deleting certain apps that use the camera or camcorder. Nothing seems to work to remedy this issue. If anyone has any suggestions on anything we can try to fix this problem it will be greatly appreciated.

I'm wondering if this is because I downloaded the unofficial release of Froyo and then updated to the official release from HTC. If you are having the same issue and went from the unofficial to the official release of froyo please post it here. If you didn't get the unofficial Froyo and waited for the official release please post it here too. I'm going to try bring this to the attention of Android Central and HTC in the hopes of getting the problem we're experiencing fixed.

Thank you

Global Posts
    776 Global Posts

Do you have an app called "LED light" installed? That caused issues with the camera/camcorder after Froyo.

Fiction - I too installed the not so official 2.2 then got the small update from HTC and I don't have any issues with the camera/camcorder.
    Thanked by:
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts

Well I have good news now. After reading the post I changed my SD card and it fixed the problem. Sprint was going to send me another phone. Now I need to call them to cancel it.

Same here, installed my new SD card last night and everything is back to normal.

I did not try formatting the original card to see if it would help... I may try this later but I'm happy that it works right now

For 72guy, I got the Topram 32GB Class 4 SDHC card (from Buy.com).

Global Posts
    17 Global Posts

Having the same issue. I go to record video, video app doesn't record, just continues to show image from camera. Can only exit app through home button and then CPU is maxed at 100% and doesn't stop until I reset phone.

I don't have the LED app from the market. Tried removing and putting the SD card back in. Battery pull... What gives?

Not rooted. Did the unofficial update and have updated to official 2.2.
    Thanked by:

Well I emailed Phil here at android central about the issue but haven't heard back yet (I just read something about him having a new addition to his family). I may try and just address the same email to Android Central in General. I haven't tried removing my SD card yet but I'll give it at try and see if it works. If it does I'm probably going to format my sd card and see if that corrects the issue.

Thank you all for posting.

Removing the micro sd card didn't tell me anything since the phone will not record without a micro sd card present. I found a card that I had for one of my older phones inserted it, started up the phone, started up the camcorder and it shot the video just fine.

I got my camcorder on my Evo 4g back to fully functional status. I didn't even have to format the Micro sd card. I Deleted all of my videos that I recorded and saved on the card. My first couple of attempts at recording were choppy but after that everything seems to be running fine. Must have been a bad video file. I'm so glad it wasn't the sd card.
    Thanked by:
    flyr29 

Quote Originally Posted by csc129 View Post
    Having the same issue. I go to record video, video app doesn't record, just continues to show image from camera. Can only exit app through home button and then CPU is maxed at 100% and doesn't stop until I reset phone.

I don't have the LED app from the market. Tried removing and putting the SD card back in. Battery pull... What gives?
    Don't pull the SD card and put it back. That doesn't do anything. Pull and and start the phone. See if things are responsive again.

(or if you have a spare, try with that, even better)

Just want to be clear that pulling the SD card and putting it back in doesn't do anything.

Quote Originally Posted by FicTioN View Post
    Removing the micro sd card didn't tell me anything since the phone will not record without a micro sd card present.
    Glad you got it working. Wanted to clarify why I tried pulling the SD card:

It's not that I couldn't record, it's that the performance of everything (including the camera apps) was terrible. Furthermore I couldn't exit from the camera apps. So after pulling the SD card you're checking for two things:

• Normal phone performance.
    • Camera apps launch and quit normally.

Global Posts
    17 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FicTioN View Post
    I got my camcorder on my Evo 4g back to fully functional status. I didn't even have to format the Micro sd card. I Deleted all of my videos that I recorded and saved on the card. My first couple of attempts at recording were choppy but after that everything seems to be running fine. Must have been a bad video file. I'm so glad it wasn't the sd card.
    This worked. Thanks. Deleted my video files and video recording works once again. Wish I had tried that before the factory reset.

I had tried pulling and replacing the SD card cause I figured maybe it wasn't seated correctly and I had dropped my phone earlier. It just didn't seem like that little plastic flap is enough to really lock it in place.

Quote Originally Posted by csc129 View Post
    This worked. Thanks. Deleted my video files and video recording works once again. Wish I had tried that before the factory reset.

I had tried pulling and replacing the SD card cause I figured maybe it wasn't seated correctly and I had dropped my phone earlier. It just didn't seem like that little plastic flap is enough to really lock it in place.
    You're welcome, I'm glad this worked for you also and it should work for anyone that has the same problem. I don't know why I didn't think of this first. It's kind of obvious that it was the video that was recorded prior to installing Froyo that was causing some kind of conflict, either that or one, maybe all of the videos were corrupted. I highly doubt the latter since I could play the videos without incident.