Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Can your Evo see your home network with the SSID hidden?

Did anyone ever find a fix for this? My Evo will only connect to my home network when I'm actually broadcasting my SSID. My iphones never had this problem.

Mine is hidden and I have to to tap add network, amd then type in the name smd works just fine after punching pw.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Wow, mine doesn't at all. Called Sprint tech support and they claim that's just the way this phone works.

Global Posts
    673 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/Jailbroken/Rooted

Mine's been connecting to three hidden networks (my home, my mobile work, and my mother's house).

I was unable to get it to connect automagically to my home network with the SSID not broadcast. It will connect though with MAC addressing enabled.
    EVO & an Acer A500 tablet.

mine connects to my hidden network all the time with no issue /

A little confused. Are you saying that you can't connect at all when the SSID is hidden, or that it won't connect automatically?

Protip: Stop hiding your SSID. All it does is cause problems (which is why it wasn't designed that way in the first place), and anyone who actually wants access to your wifi will know how to get it anyway (it takes like all of 2 seconds with a single program that requires no configuration. That is, a monkey could do it).
    Thanked by:
    Bodar 

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Law View Post
    Protip: Stop hiding your SSID. All it does is cause problems (which is why it wasn't designed that way in the first place), and anyone who actually wants access to your wifi will know how to get it anyway (it takes like all of 2 seconds with a single program that requires no configuration. That is, a monkey could do it).
    But he doesn't want that rascally neighbor kid stealing the WiFis...

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mo View Post
    But he doesn't want that rascally neighbor kid stealing the WiFis...
    Hiding the SSID does *nothing* to stop that. All it does is inconvenience legitimate users. Anyone with the slightest clue is going to be able to find out the SSID faster than you can speak it out loud.

Non-descriptive SSID's work much better.
    Thanked by:
    Bodar 

Global Posts
    776 Global Posts

Don't exaggerate with the 2 seconds rubbish.
    .:HTC Supersonic | Kernel: HTC#10 | ROM: Myns Warm 2.2 (RLS3) | v OTA_Supersonic 3.30.651.2:.

thats why you use wpa-2 security

Global Posts
    149 Global Posts

If your network has no password/encryption, then hiding the SSID will keep casual users from accessing it. However, if you are using any type of encryption, hiding it is totally pointless. Casual users cannot break your encryption, and anyone who is capable of breaking it will laugh out loud mockingly when they see your "hidden" SSID.
    The only complaint I have about my EVO is that it turned my $300 netbook into a paperweight.
    Thanked by:
    Bodar 

Quote Originally Posted by pwnst_r View Post
    Don't exaggerate with the 2 seconds rubbish.
    Depending on the amount of traffic it's really not that much of an exaggeration

Global Posts
    776 Global Posts

wpa2 won't be cracked in 2 secs :>
    .:HTC Supersonic | Kernel: HTC#10 | ROM: Myns Warm 2.2 (RLS3) | v OTA_Supersonic 3.30.651.2:.

Quote Originally Posted by pwnst_r View Post
    wpa2 won't be cracked in 2 secs :>
    I wasn't ever talking about cracking WPA2, only getting the SSID

Global Posts
    776 Global Posts

Oh, well then carry on ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by posguy99 View Post
    Hiding the SSID does *nothing* to stop that. All it does is inconvenience legitimate users. Anyone with the slightest clue is going to be able to find out the SSID faster than you can speak it out loud.

Non-descriptive SSID's work much better.
    Clearly you didn't pick up on the sarcasm.

I honestly have no clue why hiding the SSID is even an option.

My network is hidden as well and it connects, although I registered the MAC address into the router beforehand. Hopefully Zero Cool doesn't live within my routers broadcasting radius...
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Wow, it seems that some people have a problem with me hiding my ssid as if I have no right to...lol.

I don't consider hiding my ssid anything that major, it's an option and I chose to use it. Didn't know it would bother anyone and whether or not it provides any more security than not hiding it was never even a part of the topic of this thread.

I also hid my SSID. You need to leave it broadcasting and connect to your network a few times then hide it. Now my Evo connects to it every time.

Hiding your SSID will not prevent someone from finding your network as others have said.. It does however add one tiny layer to your security which is not hard to do. It requires a scan to see it. If someone is simply driving by scanning with a normal laptop etc.. It helps.. I always think of it as a cannot hurt, why turn a light on. It is not that hard to connect to it as long as you know it. If it is inconvenient for some reason then don't use it, I agree with that.

The most import thing is using WPA2 if you can, or WPA if you have to.

WEP is about as secure as adding paper over a doorway. Hiding the SSID just turns the light off in the room. ii
    Systems Analyst by trade, drummer by desire and music lover by birth.
    A self proclaimed geek and gadget nut. ii <--Drum sticks
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

I hope this post puts this all to rest.

I went in and connected my Evo to my network several times, added it to the Mac filter a couple more times and now it connects...even with the ssid being hidden.

Thanks for all the posts of those who tried to help.

Encryption and MAC addressing takes care of it.
    EVO & an Acer A500 tablet.

Global Posts
    574 Global Posts

It works perfect

Setting my router to Legacy Mode (54 Mbps or b/g mode) enabled my EVO to connect to a hidden SSID.