Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Anyone using swiftkey

Since getting my Evo I have been HORRIBLE with the keyboard. Sure it is good when I hit the wrong letter, but sometimes my wrong letter is the ABC/123 key or the shift key, and my biggest issue is not getting the space right.

I wanted to try swipe but it is not available anymore.
    I have heard of people using swiftkey.
    Is it any good?

I'm a little worried about even knowing how to switch keyboards and then how to switch back if I don't like it.

How hard is this to do?

Its really simple to switch. Don't let that stop you. When you have another keyboard installed you go to settings/language & keybord and check the box next to your new keyboard to allow it to be used. Then when you are in a text message press and hold in the dialogue box, it will give you "Input Method" press that and then you can select the keyboard you want to use.
    I like Swift key the best and it is what I am currently using. Swype is really good too, but I prefer swift key.

ROM
    Team Venom v1.2

What is swift key? Is that the stock keyboard?

No Swift Key is a custom keyboard available as a beta in the market.

Global Posts
    103 Global Posts

You can still get swype here

Global Posts
    15 Global Posts

Just my two cents, I LOVE swiftkey, it works better for me than swype. Easier once you get used to paying attention to the autotype.

Nope. Shapewriter from here on out.

I just installed it on my brothers new Evo and he loves it as well
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

So I installed swift key and I am trying it out. I know I will need a few days to adjust to see if I like it so I won't so much now. However, I do find it putting periods after just about every word for some reason.

ROM
    Stock

Went to Swiftkey until I tried Smart Keyboard Pro. Paid the $2.50 and was the best money I ever spent.

Default Re: Anyone using swiftkey

Really didn't like Swiftkey. I found Swype and couldn't be happier. It's all about preference. A lot of people don't find swype to be the second coming like I do.

I just had a lot of issues getting used to typing on glass. Swype fixed that issue for me.
    HTC Evo fully Rooted using rollback to 2.1 method--->Simple Root--->Clock Work Recovery/Rom Manager

Rom:CyanogenMod-6.0.0/Kernel: 2.6.32.15-cyanogenmod shade@toxygene #1/Launcher: LauncherPro

= One Happy Goat!
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheGoat View Post
    Really didn't like Swiftkey. I found Swype and couldn't be happier. It's all about preference. A lot of people don't find swype to be the second coming like I do.

I just had a lot of issues getting used to typing on glass. Swype fixed that issue for me.
    I think I would like swype better, but I can't get it anymore now that it is out of beta.

ROM
    Stock

I spent more time correcting Swype than actually getting anywhere. Sure, I was fast, but kept having to go back and it would then memorize partial words. Bleh.

Quote Originally Posted by jnadelman View Post
    I think I would like swype better, but I can't get it anymore now that it is out of beta.
    Sure you can brother. It's a no-no to post links here, but if you just do a Google search for it or PM me your email then you can get the .apk
    HTC Evo fully Rooted using rollback to 2.1 method--->Simple Root--->Clock Work Recovery/Rom Manager

Rom:CyanogenMod-6.0.0/Kernel: 2.6.32.15-cyanogenmod shade@toxygene #1/Launcher: LauncherPro

= One Happy Goat!

Yeah, I feel you. It took me about two weeks to get to the point that I wasn't having to go back and correct a lot. Now that I'm used to it it tends to really make a mistake.

= One Happy Goat!

16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Quote Originally Posted by saxd45 View Post

What is shapewriter?

Global Posts
    846 Global Posts

I swear by using SwiftKey. Best keyboard ever!

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

So shapewriter is like swype. And like swype, it is also not available.
    So those of us that want to try a keyboard with that drawing style are out of luck for the time being?

Global Posts
    1,412 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Cubfan View Post
    I spent more time correcting Swype than actually getting anywhere. Bleh.
    This. I tried the beta twice and both times I was back to the stock KB within a day or two because when you waste a minute trying to enter one word because Swype is so certain that it absolutely must be what it puts down that it doesn't even bother letting you pick from a list, then all the speed advantage you may've gotten has been given back.

I really like SwiftKey because of the near-psychic text prediction. It also seems to remember phrases you've type before because when you go to retype them - say, a phrase that you frequently say like, "I swear I'm going to murder these customers!" - because after the first couple of words, it will offer up the next word as the default allowing you to "type" the passage be repeatedly tapping the space bar.

The only real fix I'd like them to add is having the question mark offered as a possible next autofill on sentences that started with who/what/when/where/why.
    Last edited by DirkBelig; 08-27-2010 at 03:44 PM. Reason: added last graf
    "The Nexus 5 is such a big black slab of power that if you dropped it down in the middle of a pack of monkeys, they'd start using weapons." - Dirk Belligerent.
    Devices: 32GB Nexus 5, 16GB Nexus 7 (2013), 16GB Nexus 7, 16GB Nexus 4, ASUS Transformer TF101, Kindle Fire, HP TouchPad (CM7), Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch Long Name Phone, HTC EVO 4G, Palm Pre, 64GB 1st gen iPad WiFi

Global Posts
    825 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

The most confusing thing about adding additional keyboards is that you have to go into the settings and enable each one. When you do this, it will pop up a warning saying that it can capture all your data but this is a generic Android message for all add on keyboards. Once you get the keyboards installed and enabled, it's easy to switch between them by long pressing in any text entry area and selecting Input Method and then the desired keyboard.

I'm using Swype now. I installed SwiftKey which works really well with the word prediction but I really like how Swype handles cursors and symbols. If I have to type a long wordy message, I'll switch over to SwiftKey but for day-to-day use, I use Swype and I'll be ready to pay for it when it hits the market. I can understand their hesitance to put it out there since they would probably get a lot of people doing returns. You really need to use it for a while to get the hang of it.

There are lots of alternatives out there. With a hardware keyboard you get one choice.
    Kyo 6035 > Kyo 7135 > Palm 800W > HTC EVO 4G > HTC EVOLTE > HTC One (M8) + EVO View 4G

Global Posts
    1,446 Global Posts
    ROM
    Changes weekly!

Swype's APK can easily be found on the net. Just google it.. Newest versions are 1.60 and 1.61
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    19 Global Posts

I have really enjoyed using Swype.

I know what made me switch was not having a multitouch keyboard so when I would type it wouldn't always register my spaces. I would love to see what kind of crazy works I added to the dictionary on accident.

So when Swype hits the market I will be buying it. With that being said just make sure you go through and spend at least some time setting it up. There are a lot of settings in there that would most likely correct a lot of problems people have had with it.

Anyways, good luck on your quest for a new keyboard. Customizing you phone to you is going to be a fun challenge that will last a long time.

ROM
    Team Venom v1.2

Thanx I will give swiftkey I try. Be back.

I am using swiftkey instead of swype because of the word recognition typing really fast
    Fred
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,549 Global Posts
    ROM
    Ice Cream Sandwich

Ew swift key...
    Some say the glass is half empty. Some say its half full. I say, "Are you going to drink that?"
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast