k9 and wifi issues

rustypixel

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I searched for this topic and didn't find anything. I'm having issues sending email using K9. If wifi is off, my email goes out without a problem. With wifi on, I only receive email but it will not send. Is this a know issue? Are there any suggestions? Running 2.2.

Thanks.

R32_Rocky

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I am curious, why would you prefer K9 over the HTC Sense mail program? The HTC e-mail is far superior in my opinion. One half the reason I tried both a Vibrant and Captivate, and dumped them for the EVO. The other half was as I spent most of my time trying to make the TouchWiz desktop look like Sense, I might as well have the real Sense. Makes "Sense"? :p

PhantomPhreak53

May 15, 2010
Visit site
I searched for this topic and didn't find anything. I'm having issues sending email using K9. If wifi is off, my email goes out without a problem. With wifi on, I only receive email but it will not send. Is this a know issue? Are there any suggestions? Running 2.2.

Thanks.

I'm using K-9 on 2.2 as well but not having any issues with it. Maybe try rebooting your phone or reinstalling K-9

rustypixel

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I prefer K9 cause I wanted a bit more control over the email client than what stock gave me. I like stock, but this is just a bit better for me. I just uninstalled and re-installed the program and set the email account with wifi turned off. After setting up my email account I pulled the battery, typed an email and it refuses to send as long as wifi is turned on but it sent immediately when I turned off wifi. I'm at a loss.

R32_Rocky

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I prefer K9 cause I wanted a bit more control over the email client than what stock gave me. I like stock, but this is just a bit better for me. I just uninstalled and re-installed the program and set the email account with wifi turned off. After setting up my email account I pulled the battery, typed an email and it refuses to send as long as wifi is turned on but it sent immediately when I turned off wifi. I'm at a loss.

If you truly do not like the HTC version, and having problems with K9, then I would suggest trying MailDroid. The Dev is quite active and always tweaking the program. But I found both (and the Samsung OEM) programs lacking, and sloooooow as hell. Though they showed downloading the messages, when I go to view the message, it downloads it ALL OVER again?????? To me, the HTC Sense mail is more similar to a BB, or MS Outlook (as much as a cell phone can be).

PhantomPhreak53

May 15, 2010
Visit site

Are you sure you have internet connection through WiFi? Can you access the internet through WiFi?

dekcufi

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site

Thanks.

I had a similar issue. It was a comcast problem. mail only worked one way. does it work fine on 3g?

I use k-9 because the factory email client is always showing empty emils from my boss with 2 empty file attachments. K-9 has no issues with the same emails.

rustypixel

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Well, I'm new to the EVO and Android in general (only had it since Friday) so I'm not sure how to answer your question. I know that I am able to surf while the EVO is on wifi and I've experienced no other issues. I see that the wifi is "on" and that the wifi meter is visible so I presume wifi is being used when I surf. And yes, the email function, both incoming and outgoing, work perfectly over 3G.
I've tried MailDroid and just didn't like the interface and to be honest, while it's a good, solid program, I kind of prefer the look and feel of K9. With the exception of email not being sent while wifi is on, it's a good working app.

Are you sure you have internet connection through WiFi? Can you access the internet through WiFi?

bmhanson

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I am pretty sure it is not a K9 problem but rather an issue with your ISP. A lot of ISPs block port 25 which is the default for SMTP. They want you using their mail server for sending messages. This is in attempt to keep their customers from using external mail servers and sending out SPAM either on purpose or due to a virus/trojan. etc.

Check with your mail provider (I am guessing you are not using your ISP) to see if they have an alternate port set up for use as will as the standard port 25. Then all you have to do is go into your account settings in k9 (or whatever mail program you want to use) and change the outgoing port.

To get to the setting sin K9 go into the inbox for the account you want to update. Press Menu >> More >> Settings and chose account settings. Then scroll down to Outgoing server.

bmhanson

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I am curious, why would you prefer K9 over the HTC Sense mail program? The HTC e-mail is far superior in my opinion. One half the reason I tried both a Vibrant and Captivate, and dumped them for the EVO. The other half was as I spent most of my time trying to make the TouchWiz desktop look like Sense, I might as well have the real Sense. Makes "Sense"? :p

I do not know about others but my biggest reason for using k9 is the ability to set identities. I have multiple email addresses being forwarded to my main account and with them I can reply as if I was responding from that email instead of all reply's coming from my main account.

Crimson

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Most common cause of that type of problem is not having your outgoing mail server setup with a username and password. Not sure how k9 mail works but make sure your outgoing server (SMTP) has 'requires authentication' or something checked and put in your email login and password.

Although usually when this is the issue the email will work through wifi but not 3g/4g and their mail is through their ISP.. but I'd check that setting first.

bmhanson

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Although usually when this is the issue the email will work through wifi but not 3g/4g and their mail is through their ISP.. but I'd check that setting first.

That would be because when coming from an internal connection they may not be requiring authentication but if hitting their server from an external connection (the sprint network in this instance) they do require it.

rustypixel

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
All has been checked from the start and nothing is working, but, I wanted to mention that I previously had a Blackberry (T-Mobile) and I never had an issue with email at all and I'm using the exact same settings. Could this be a Sprint issue?

bmhanson

May 20, 2010
Visit site
All has been checked from the start and nothing is working, but, I wanted to mention that I previously had a Blackberry (T-Mobile) and I never had an issue with email at all and I'm using the exact same settings. Could this be a Sprint issue?

Then what is the outgoing SMTP port set to? I expect it is not Sprint issue as it is working on their network. Also I do not recall blackberry using wifi fro their email (though I could be mistaken) so that may not be a fair comparison.

Maybe a little more info will help. Who is the mail provider you are having problems connecting to? Who is your ISP that you are havign problems connecting through?

PhantomPhreak53

May 15, 2010
Visit site

Shouldn't be a Sprint problem. Are you trying to set up a POP/IMAP of your own domain or what are you trying to setup? Who is your ISP? What City do you live in?

rustypixel

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
OK, forgive me since I'm not very knowledgable abut these things. But here goes: I have my own domain which is hosted by Cirtex. Let me know if there is more info needed. With regards to the Blackberry, you may very well be right. All I know is that it worked and I never had an issue with incoming or outgoing email when the Blackberry had wifi on. I hope this bit of info gets me a step closer. Thank you for the suggestions and help. It's all very much appreciated.

Then what is the outgoing SMTP port set to? I expect it is not Sprint issue as it is working on their network. Also I do not recall blackberry using wifi fro their email (though I could be mistaken) so that may not be a fair comparison.

Maybe a little more info will help. Who is the mail provider you are having problems connecting to? Who is your ISP that you are havign problems connecting through?

PhantomPhreak53

May 15, 2010
Visit site
OK, forgive me since I'm not very knowledgable abut these things. But here goes: I have my own domain which is hosted by Cirtex. Let me know if there is more info needed. With regards to the Blackberry, you may very well be right. All I know is that it worked and I never had an issue with incoming or outgoing email when the Blackberry had wifi on. I hope this bit of info gets me a step closer. Thank you for the suggestions and help. It's all very much appreciated.

Does your smtp require encryption? login/password? standard port?

Does Cirtex provide you with directions on how to set it up your email?

Does your ISP block port 25? You can go to your ISP (Comcast, AT&T or whoever) and search for SMTP or port 25 and it should tell you.

rustypixel

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
SMTP does require login/password and those are in place and correct. I think I might have to check with Cirtex to see if they offer directions, but i've been using this same method for setting up my email account on mobile devices (Treo, 3 BB's and noe EVO) for quite some time. And I will have to check with Cablevision (Optimum) for the question about port 25. Good grief! Never thought setting up email to work correctly could be such a pain.
Oh, and in case it matters, both my incoming and outgoing servers are mail.rustypixel.com. Not using the mail.optonline.net for outgoing as that has never worked for me.

Thanks again... and again...

Crimson

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I'd definitely check with the hosting provider. They can check the SMTP logs and see if the mail is even making it to the server. 2 options at this point. Mail is being blocked from being sent through your ISP.. or mail is being rejected by your hosting provider for some reason.

Keep in mind ISP's will often block ports like 25 because they think if they allow it spammers will use their networks to send spam through. You might have to change ports. It MAY have worked in the past but the ISP could have changed policies or seen 'unusual' activity from your account and turned it on specifically for you thinking you were a spammer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21