Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Was on fence (Epic/Evo) but not so much...

Just got my Evo last week. Still in 30 day window to change to Epic if I wished to. Went by Sprint today and played with Epic. Very nice screen. I was also intrigued by the keyboard. However, after playing around with the demo I could not but help think that there is no way that slider is going to hold up over time. Coming from a Pre, I am well aware of the "Oreo" effect. Something about moving parts on the Epic worries me. I am not overly impressed with the stock keyboard on the Evo. I played with Swype on the Epic and found it to be very responsive and could see myself getting quite efficient using it. Thus, I am leaning on keeping my Evo and hoping Swype comes out of beta sometime soon. Any suggestions on keyboards until Skype comes out of beta?

Default Re: Was on fence (Epic/Evo) but not so much...

You can have Swype on your evo right now. Google it and you can easily find a download link.

Sent my HTC Evo 4g

I need a good keyboard suggestion too. Love my Evo, but trying to type with any speed, or accuracy with nails is murder! LOL
    Palm Pre,Blackberry,HTC Evo 4g, HTC Evo LTE, Samsung Galaxy 2.10 Tablet, Samsung Galaxy S4

Quote Originally Posted by ReggieTee View Post
    You can have Swype on your evo right now. Google it and you can easily find a download link.

Sent my HTC Evo 4g
    Anybody have a link for Swype cause I tried to google it and found nuffin!
    Palm Pre,Blackberry,HTC Evo 4g, HTC Evo LTE, Samsung Galaxy 2.10 Tablet, Samsung Galaxy S4

Default Re: Was on fence (Epic/Evo) but not so much...

Whats your email? Don't want to post cause some people get mad.

Sent from my precious..

and thank you in advance
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Thanks in advance

It didn't work but thank you anyway, I think it may be because they closed their Beta?

Global Posts
    297 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I also have a link that I used for Swype, even though the beta is closed. PM me if you want the link.

ROM
    Stock

I am using Smart Keyboard Pro, which is a wonderful alternative keyboard with tons of options. Costs a few bucks, though. Since trying it, I don't miss a physical keyboard at all.

Global Posts
    4,509 Global Posts
    ROM
    Anthem_003

Swype is in closed beta right now and posting the .apk file is against forum rules (understandable).

Have you tried SwiftKey? It's kind of like Swype with some differences.
    "The worst foe lies within the self....."
    Get yourself some storage with Dropbox: http://db.tt/hWGiTCa

I recommend Swiftkey which is the next best thing to Swype/ShapeWriter and its available in the Android market.

Global Posts
    624 Global Posts

I like the HTC IME keyboard the most. Definitely the most full-featured of the bunch.

Global Posts
    135 Global Posts

grrr just a sec

http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-evo-4g/28228-problems-swype-2-2-froyo-just-want-cool-skin-click-here.html
    Last edited by Gimik; 08-31-2010 at 02:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cubfan View Post
    I am using Smart Keyboard Pro, which is a wonderful alternative keyboard with tons of options. Costs a few bucks, though. Since trying it, I don't miss a physical keyboard at all.
    I did try smart keyboard, however not the pro version cause I didn't seem to type any better on the smart keyboard then the stock one is there a big difference in the pro version as far as typing then in the free version?

About to try out swiftkey wish me luck! LOL

You can try Shapewriter, which is similar to Swype. I know it is not on the market when you search but it actually is still on the market through a back door.

Here is the a link of a thread that has the QR Code for Shapewriter. Look for the #2 post.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/andr...tml#post224637

ROM
    Stock

You can try the pro version... I think there are additional features in there that make it much better. Return it within the time period if you don't like it. I find it better than Swiftkey, which I also liked.

Should I be afraid when it says the app can gather keystrokes and credit card info sounds a little scary?

Global Posts
    825 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by sasha View Post
    Should I be afraid when it says the app can gather keystrokes and credit card info sounds a little scary?
    No, Android warns of this for every third-party keyboard you install.
    Kyo 6035 > Kyo 7135 > Palm 800W > HTC EVO 4G > HTC EVOLTE > HTC One (M8) + EVO View 4G

Quote Originally Posted by NicksGarage View Post
    No, Android warns of this for every third-party keyboard you install.
    Okay thanks bunches!

I am a huge fan of smart keyboard pro. I also use shapewriter sometimes, but usually just to show off what my EVO can do. Swiftkey is another one you might find interesting, as it tries to predict not only the word you are typing, but the next word in the sentence as well.

Default swype

Can I get the link for swype, the one that works

My email is

Global Posts
    90 Global Posts

Just installed swype today. I never had problems with the stock keyboard(and I used voice to text a decent amount), but swype is pretty cool. It's a bit more accurate for me so far. I dont have to backspace and retype as much it seems.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast