1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    44 Global Posts

Default wifi/3g radio state and and battery drain in froyo

I am not sure if this is an app related issue or a bug in froyo:

When I am at home and turn on the wifi radio on my EVO, it connects to my network, but then the battery seems to drain 4-5x faster than normal, unless I explicitly turn the 3g radio off, which is when it reverts to the normal rate of battery drain.

It seems like the 3g radio use should automatically suspend when using wifi, but this doesn't seem to be the case, and I would like to pinpoint if this is a problem introduced by one of the apps I am running, or whether this is a bug in froyo, since I don't recall this issue manifesting itself in 2.1

I have tried using system panel to see if there is anything going on with any of my apps, and so far don't see any out of the ordinary or cpu intensive activity that would cause the battery drain (and toggling the radio manually without killing any apps, brings the rate of use back to normal)

Are there some troubleshooting apps/tips you can point me to to help specificially analyze the active power consumption for each radio, to see if the issue is just the way that froyo handles the radio state, or if it is a problem introduced by an app.

Any other thoughts?

IMO constant connect to WIFI will kill your battery life. better to only turn WIFI on when you actually need it. just leave it on 3G. it has nothing to do with froyo.

good luck.

i'm aslo experiencing the same issue, when at home i switch to wifi because my 3g at home is not so great. if i leave 3g and wifi on the batt just goes bye bye. If i only have wifi on with 3g off the batty seen to do a lot better. Froyo 2.2

i had the same issue before i got the airave. battery would drain due to little 3g reception even when i had wifi on. airave fixed my battery drain issues at home due to lack of reception.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    44 Global Posts

To clarify the issue has nothing to do with 3g reception or the wifi being constantly on:

I have perfect 3g reception in my home, and if I turn off wifi and just leave 3g on, i get 18-24 hrs of battery life at home.

Likewise, if I just leave wifi on and turn 3g off, I get 24 hrs + of battery life at home.

In 2.1, if I left both radios on at home, the phone would detect wifi and connect, and it would get about 24 hrs+ battery life. With Froyo it appears that with both radios on, it detects the wifi but that both radios continue to drain the battery unless I manually turn one or the other off.

This is why i suspect their is either a bug in froyo or an app that I have loaded that is trying to use the 3g radio for data even when wifi is connected, but I have don't have the know how to narrow this down within the existing utilities.

When you get home and your phone finds your wifi does your 3g icon go away or do you have both the wifi and 3g icon going at the same time?
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    44 Global Posts

3g icon goes away, which is why i suspected it was an app issue but i don't see any apps that are inordinately showing battery use or using crazy amounts of CPU.