Got my EVO Now what?

paradroid

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Finally sprint.com had them available Monday and I got my EVO. It have 2.2 on it and I plan on rooting it but figured I better just use the phone to make sure everything works and just figure it out in general.

I hooked it to my gmail account which offers great integration, I could see me moving more and more to google for calendar and tasks and away from outlook for appointments and tasks.

This phone has so much stuff, rather than me trying this and that. What are some things I should try and test out before rooting maybe this weekend?

I understand I'll lose most all settings and data stuff I do when I root and install a new rom. (I am not really sure which ROM but VaelPak v1.3a FroYo (8/23/10) - NonSense - The least Sense without AOSP sounds promising). But still want to try things out at stock to properly evaluate a ROM.

Trust

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Your call. I went 2 months with mine before rooting. now I'm running OMJ 3.1 ROM with a few things removed (I removed them myself from the ROM). Happy with it so far.

Crimson

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Here's an idea.. USE THE PHONE.. :) Seems like you are more interested in rooting than the actual prospect of using the phone for its intended purpose. Surf the net, stream some music, download some games.. :)

Trust

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Here's an idea.. USE THE PHONE.. :) Seems like you are more interested in rooting than the actual prospect of using the phone for its intended purpose. Surf the net, stream some music, download some games.. :)

That too ^^^^ I guess I forgot to mention I played with the phone and learned everything about its features inside/out before I got bored enough to root it.

paradroid

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
That too ^^^^ I guess I forgot to mention I played with the phone and learned everything about its features inside/out before I got bored enough to root it.
Probably a good idea, but my thought is I that if I spend a ton of time setting up my phone the way I want it, then I lose all those settings when I root. Doesn't rooting pretty much bring you back to square one with most of the program settings?

Trust

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Probably a good idea, but my thought is I that if I spend a ton of time setting up my phone the way I want it, then I lose all those settings when I root. Doesn't rooting pretty much bring you back to square one with most of the program settings?

Yes, Rooting usually requires a data wipe. You do have a point there. I spent a good 2 months installing/uninstalling apps to try them out, experimenting with different widgets and trying out different home screen replacements (launchers). After all that garbage in, garbage out I was ok with a full wipe because I knew what programs I wanted on there from all the stuff I played with prior to the wipe.

here's the link to root to start you off.

[GUIDE] How to root Android 2.2 on the EVO 4G - xda-developers

paradroid

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
You guys convinced me to wait on rooting at least until the 30 day time period is up and go from there. In the meantime I'll keep reading here and learn how to use the phone to the fullest.

Trust

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
You guys convinced me to wait on rooting at least until the 30 day time period is up and go from there. In the meantime I'll keep reading here and learn how to use the phone to the fullest.

Just dont run any Sprint/HTC updates that come out int he next 30 days (If any). the current root is 2.2.

intheb0x

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Did u already upgrade it to 2.2 or did it come with it?

I got my replacement Evo and it had 2.1 on it.

From my HTC EVO using Tapatalk pro.

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Finally sprint.com had them available Monday and I got my EVO. It have 2.2 on it and I plan on rooting it but figured I better just use the phone to make sure everything works and just figure it out in general.

I hooked it to my gmail account which offers great integration, I could see me moving more and more to google for calendar and tasks and away from outlook for appointments and tasks.

This phone has so much stuff, rather than me trying this and that. What are some things I should try and test out before rooting maybe this weekend?

I understand I'll lose most all settings and data stuff I do when I root and install a new rom. (I am not really sure which ROM but VaelPak v1.3a FroYo (8/23/10) - NonSense - The least Sense without AOSP sounds promising). But still want to try things out at stock to properly evaluate a ROM.

I'm using that ROM. Absolutely awesome. It's sooooo much faster and smoother than stock 2.2 its insane. I just downgraded, rooted, then installed that ROM for a friend last night. Before I did anything I did some comparisons between my Evo and his stock 2.2... Night and day. I'll never look back. With that said I agree with others here. Use the phone as is for a bit. Get to learn the phone and what not then go nuts. Downloading rooting and installing a custom ROM is not hard at all. Just follow instructions and you'll be set. Good luck!

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

What?!? You can make phone calls with an EVO? Take that iPad!!! ;-)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463