Need a little help, is there anyway to keep from having numbers that are not "textable" (e.g. a contact's work number) from showing up on the list to send messages to? I have contacts that have 6 to 7 numbers between work, home, cell, faxes, etc., and when I want to text them I have to go through all the numbers to get to the mobile so I can text them. Also, when I use Vlingo or Voice Actions to send a text, it nearly always selects the wrong type of number to text to. I would think that Android would have the option or be smart enough to not try to text a fax line, or at least give you the ability within a contact to designate a "primary" text like it does for phone and email. Does anyone know how this might be accomplished? I am using the stock messaging app, EVO 4G rooted stock 2.2 ROM.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!!
    09-02-2010 08:56 AM
    I am also using the stock "people" app for my contacts as well BTW...
    09-02-2010 08:56 AM
    Yea, I had an embarrassing moment when my wife texted my work's landline and my boss answered. Apparently when you text a landline you get a nice bot translating your text into voice for you. It was quite mushy and funny, haha. Now I am paranoid I'll send a text to the wrong number and so is she.
    09-02-2010 09:06 AM
    Yea, I had an embarrassing moment when my wife texted my work's landline and my boss answered. Apparently when you text a landline you get a nice bot translating your text into voice for you. It was quite mushy and funny, haha. Now I am paranoid I'll send a text to the wrong number and so is she.
    really? never heard of this. was wife texting using Google Voice or regular Sprint Cell service?
    09-02-2010 09:41 AM
    Yep I have had this happen to me as well, main thing I am trying to avoid. I've had this happen with the standard text as well as with Google Voice (but with Google Voice I did it on purpose as a joke).
    09-02-2010 10:37 AM
    Yeah, Sprint will translate text to voice if you text a landline. I don't have an answer for the OP, though. Sorry.
    09-02-2010 10:41 AM
    The best way I came up to get around this is that for people I text fairly regularly, either make folder for them with shortcuts directly to texting the right number, or use the People widget with shortcuts directly to texting.
    09-02-2010 10:51 AM
    The best way I came up to get around this is that for people I text fairly regularly, either make folder for them with shortcuts directly to texting the right number, or use the People widget with shortcuts directly to texting.
    Yeah, I have shortcut widgets for the people I text most often, but when I am using Vlingo or Voice Actions, this doesn't help. It would really be nice to be able to either have a primary or just be able to designate certain numbers as non-textable numbers.

Is anyone using anything other than the stock message app also having this issue, or are there any other apps that handle messaging better?
    09-02-2010 11:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD