Do you "Allow Automatic Updating" for ALL Apps on your EVO?

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
i'm debating on whether i should check this box for all of my installed apps on my EVO. do you? any big potential downsides or pitfalls? does this feature work well?

thanks!

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
One issue is that an update might break or make an undesirable change to some feature in one of your apps. It could then be a pain to roll it back.

jcole01272

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
The feature works OK, but with the "update all" feature, it doesn't make that big a difference for me. I am in the market most days, and it is a no-brainer to click the udpate all button. The good thing is if the permissions change (which is typically what signifies a major change to the app) the update is manual so you have to accept the new permissions. It would honestly be more tedious for me to go through each app and check the "Allow Automatic Updating" box than to just use the "Update all" functionality in Froyo.

TWC_SouthPhilly

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
One issue is that an update might break or make an undesirable change to some feature in one of your apps. It could then be a pain to roll it back.

I agree with you 100% with you on that Mo.

The idea of auto updating of apps is great but like Mo said, every once and a while it seams that an update that was ment to fix one issue on one kind of device, ends up causing issues with something else on another kind of device. I've gottin myself in to always reading the most resent comments for the updated app before I update it. Just saves any headaces from having to uninstall it or not use the app till the dev figures it out.

gbm85

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
One of the first things I did after updating to Froyo was disable automatic updates. I don't want my EVO downloading updates whenever the hell it feels like it. I wish Google had put in a global setting for this, instead of making us disable it on a per-app basis.

twister17e

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Nope, I manually update apps manually around once a week or so. Like Darth Mo said, I've had an issue with another phone and a bad update. Besides I like to read the change log (if there is one) to see what is new, changed, or fixed.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djaa7