Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default EVO 911 Issue

As has been reported a number of times the Evo can sometimes sh*t itself when you try to dial 911. It appears that the issue only happens in some areas due to the way that area handles the messaging between the 911 center and the phone.

Anyway, I hear tell from a Sprint source that a fix is on the way. I have not heard when, exactly, but I'm guessing within a couple weeks.

Try not to have an accident before then!

Brian

ROM
    Evo: CM7

Hmmm .. interesting.

The bad part is there's really no good way to test it. :/

Quote Originally Posted by bjordan View Post
    Hmmm .. interesting.

The bad part is there's really no good way to test it. :/
    yes you can test....
    call your local police department first.. not 911!!!!
    tell them your concerns and that you dont feel safe till you test 911. they will ask from some info, so they can warn 911 to look for your call... and then let you test. DO NOT JUST HANGUP ON 911, tell them why you just called to test!

remember you pay taxes for this benefit.. so you should be able to rely on it.

Hello, Chicago 911 operations center? Yeah, I have this cell phone and I read on a forum that it might not work calling 911. Can I give it a try?

Click.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

The thing is, Sprint and HTC should make a public statement to inform there customers but I guess they think it's better to pass along the fix so that the majority of customers, that never knew there was a problem, don't get upset.

That's the upside to keeping there mouth shut. There problem is if someone with an Evo has a life threatening situation, attempts to call 911, the phone screws up and the person dies due to no response.

I sure hope they fix it before the second possibility happens. See link for news item about the problem...

Smart Phone Fails Some Customers In Emergencies | KSTP TV - Minneapolis and St. Paul

Brian

Oh great... I live in MSP

It has little to nothing to do with 911.

If your phone crashes when using Navigation/Maps, it's going to crash during 911, as they both use GPS. That's the real problem. If your phone is crashing during Maps, you need to figure it out and fix it.

Default Re: EVO 911 Issue

Quote Originally Posted by deparson View Post
    Hello, Chicago 911 operations center? Yeah, I have this cell phone and I read on a forum that it might not work calling 911. Can I give it a try?

Click.
    You are funny ...
    Till karma bites u in the ***.

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    72 Global Posts

I've had to call 911 Numerous Times at work from my Cell phone and I've had yet a problem.

I've called maybe 4 or 5 Seperate occasions and Different areas of my Work and had no problems.

Default Re: EVO 911 Issue

I've been dealing with this on one of my two EVOs (didn't get a chance to check it on the other). Yesterday I called Sprint and emailed dan@sprint. They all told me that this is not a known issue. They also said the only course of action was to take the phone to a repair center.

My guess is that most if not all phones have this problem, but not everyone has seen it since it is very intermittent. I've had GPS/call reboots immediately after connecting and none even after 20 minutes on the phone.

Not sure what I'm going to do. I don't really want to go through hard resets and phone exchanges.