htc Evo Stock 2.2 vs Evo rooted with custom ROM and fps unlocked...

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
A friend of mine loved the ROM I'm currently using. So before I went ahead and did the magic I decided to do a few quick videos comparing stock 2.2 vs my o/c'd and fps uncapped Evo... The first video shows the huge difference in screen responsiveness. The screen responsiveness was always one of my biggest problems with the Evo. That totally changed after throwing the custom ROM in with the fps uncapped... The second one is a video showing the stock Evo vs mine while the fps2d app is running. I usually get 52-54 whereas the good ol stock 2.2 is of course capped at 30. Lastly is a video comparing both with Quadrant running. I usually get 1450+ in this video I got 1415 compared to the stock of 1215.

This is why I rooted and went custom ROM..

YouTube - htc Evo screen responsiveness Stock vs VaelPak v1.3a w/fps uncapped
YouTube - htc Evo stock 2.2 vs my Evo running VaelPak v1.3a with fps uncapped
YouTube - htc Evo stock 2.2 vs my Evo running VaelPak v1.3a w/fps uncapped

Flip

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
Wooow dude what a big difference, I still love my EVO no matter what but that's tempting, I hope HTC would remove the cap or I would have to root it

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Wooow dude what a big difference, I still love my EVO no matter what but that's tempting, I hope HTC would remove the cap or I would have to root it

Ya it is a big difference. Especially the screen response. It's SO much more responsive with the cap off. I love it. Everything is SOOO much smoother from scrolling to zooming in and out. Screen transitions are much better and smoother too. Unfortunately I don't see htc coming out with an update removing the cap. They seem pretty stuck on their bs reason. It's a shame because the smoothness and responsiveness should have been there from the very beginning. The biggest reason I rooted and went custom was because of those reasons. I say go for it. It's not as hard as it seems to go back to 2.1 and root.

blitz118

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Ya it is a big difference. Especially the screen response. It's SO much more responsive with the cap off. I love it. Everything is SOOO much smoother from scrolling to zooming in and out. Screen transitions are much better and smoother too. Unfortunately I don't see htc coming out with an update removing the cap. They seem pretty stuck on their bs reason. It's a shame because the smoothness and responsiveness should have been there from the very beginning. The biggest reason I rooted and went custom was because of those reasons. I say go for it. It's not as hard as it seems to go back to 2.1 and root.

Do you lose anything rooting the phone? I would like to do it, but I'm afraid of messing up the phone.

Dave Blake

May 7, 2010
Visit site
WOW what a difference I might have to try that ROM at some point later. Hay Jerzyiroc do you thing this thread belongs in the ROMs forum? Should I move it or do you want me to leave it here?

SdotJ

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I say go for it. It's not as hard as it seems to go back to 2.1 and root.

Although I was waiting for a one click method to root this has convinced me to take the plunge now. Quick question though. Which Rom are you using ? Mind shooting a video of a game like nova with your current Rom?

Flip

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
After rooting would everything else work the same the way is working now? would it only change the fps? I only ask cause I love everything about my EVO the way it is except the fps so Im just worry, I hope it would only change the fps n everything else can stay the same

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Do you lose anything rooting the phone? I would like to do it, but I'm afraid of messing up the phone.

Well technically you shouldn't have to lose anything. You do have to go down from 2.2 to 2.1, root, then put whatever ROM you want. But you shouldn't have to lose anything if you back up everything the right way. Download the app AppBrain and sync all your apps there. And make sure you sync all your contacts with Google. You can even export your contacts to your SD card for extra measure and just import them when you're all done. If you're using LauncherPro or most other 3rd party launchers you can even back up your homescreen layout. As long as you read the directions, follow the directions perfectly, take your time, double check every command before you press enter you should be fine. I say go for it!

WOW what a difference I might have to try that ROM at some point later. Hay Jerzyiroc do you thing this thread belongs in the ROMs forum? Should I move it or do you want me to leave it here?

Ya this ROM is AWESOME. VaelPak 1.4 just came out, I heard the benchmarks are over 1600 and Linpacks 40+. I know there may be ROMS that beat that but it's coming from a Sense ROM and it's INSANELY stable. Literally 1 force close in the week I've had it and I'm using the phone all the time. I'd say give it a shot. It's Sense but with practically all Sense removed... I put it in the main Evo page because in the main page people are always talking about custom rom this custom rom that i can do this and i can do that with my custom rom n stuff but other people never get to see what we're talking about. So I figured let me make a few videos actually showing them the differences. Maybe it'll help some people better understand the advantages of installing a custom rom, maybe some people are against the wall about it and this is the push to get them to do it, maybe some people doubt the claims that some of us make about the custom roms like the smoothness and responsiveness and now they can see it in action. It's up to you, you can put it in the Hacks section, but if you can leave it here. It'll shine some line on a subject that even myself was in the dark about. =D

Although I was waiting for a one click method to root this has convinced me to take the plunge now. Quick question though. Which Rom are you using ? Mind shooting a video of a game like nova with your current Rom?

I'm using the VaelPak v1.3a ROM. It's actually been updated to v1.4 and it's even better. You can find it here> [ROM] VaelPak v1.4 FroYo (9/3/10) - NonSense - [BFS][OC][UV][FPSU] - xda-developers.

Edit: I'll try and shoot a video within the next few hours. Promise!

Last edited:

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
After rooting would everything else work the same the way is working now? would it only change the fps? I only ask cause I love everything about my EVO the way it is except the fps so Im just worry, I hope it would only change the fps n everything else can stay the same

This ROM is based off the lastest version of htc's 2.2. So everything works including 4G if you're in a 4G area. It's more than just the fps though that makes this rom awesome. You can get the app SetPCU which allows you to throttle the PCU in certain situations from as low as 128mhz to being overclocked to 1152mhz. It's a HUGE battery saver especially with the "Screen Off" profile because you can drop the PCU to 128mhz min/max when the screen is off and that makes a HUGE difference. But if to you this way... When I go to bed, I turn gps off, and mobile off.. With that profile I mentioned, the batery life stays EXACTLY the same over night. I'll post a picture of the Battery Snap image so you can it it. You can also undervolt. I have no experience in undervolting but I've heard that helps battery life even MORE than the SetPCU app. Someone else with more experience in undervolting would have to chime in about it though. Just remember, back up EVERYTHING before you do anything.
Once you're rooted, watch this video. It shows you how to install a custom ROM after you're rooted. Fast forward past the first part that shows you how to root since you'll be doing a different way

YouTube - HTC EVO 4G from Sprint - How to Root, Recovery, Backup, Wipe, Custom Rom

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site

Forget Nova.. Check out this video I made of it running Asphalt 5... First watch this video made by good ol Android Central of the Evo vs Captivate running Asphalt 5. Skip to 5.22 to see the Evo in action.. Then watch mine..

Android Central
YouTube - Samsung Captivate Benchmarks and Graphics Test !

Mine:
YouTube - htc Evo w/custom rom & fps uncapped playing Asphalt 5

b0ricua

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Great videos JerzyIroc!! Will finally show people some tangible evidence of the benefits of rooting and custom ROM's! :)

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Great videos JerzyIroc!! Will finally show people some tangible evidence of the benefits of rooting and custom ROM's! :)

Ya seriously. I'll NEVER look back. I feel like I have a new phone. I've installed the ROM I have on 4 of my friends Evo's and every time I mess around with their stock 2.2 phones I'm just amazed at how much better rooted and Rom'd is. I feel like I did when i compared my Hero to my Evo when I first got it! LOL

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Nice work. If you can, you guys should show Neocore and some other things like swiping between screens.

I am running Cm6... so smooth I cannot go back.

Sed8ing

May 15, 2010
Visit site
So you have me 90% to rooting...a few questions that might get me there....
1) can you go back to stock later?

2) is the ROM you are talking about based on froyo and does it have flash?

3) can you tether?

4) any problems with sprint phone service or voicemail?

My main issue is actually sort of odd...the early reports on the evo were that the top of the screen was not sensitive enough....I got mine at 9am on launch day and never had that problem... But after an update my screen became so sensitive that it ghost opens programs and makes calls to people on the top of my list.

Looking to solve this and also my 4g stopped working and sprint keeps telling me it is because my area doesn't have it, but I had it before and I suspect it was a problem from the update.

Anyways, looking to get these problems ironed out and improve my already awesome (with a little trouble) experience with this amazing phone and it sounds like unleashing its full powers is the way.
Thanks for the help jerzy..from a fellow jerseyite (transplanted to LA but still jersey inside)

*Sent from my HTC EVO 4G with tapatalk pro*

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Last edited:

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
So you have me 90% to rooting...a few questions that might get me there....
1) can you go back to stock later?
Absolutely

2) is the ROM you are talking about based on froyo and does it have flash?
Based off the latest 2.2 and has full flash. The 1.4 version of the ROM I'm using actually has the new N1 Flash update
3) can you tether?
Absolutely. One of the biggest reasons to root!! Easy as two clicks and you're tethering.
4) any problems with sprint phone service or voicemail?
No problems with anything at all. Sprint Zone was removed. But that's it. Phone works perfect and voicemail is without a glitch.

My main issue is actually sort of odd...the early reports on the evo were that the top of the screen was not sensitive enough....I got mine at 9am on launch day and never had that problem... But after an update my screen became so sensitive that it ghost opens programs and makes calls to people on the top of my list.

Looking to solve this and also my 4g stopped working and sprint keeps telling me it is because my area doesn't have it, but I had it before and I suspect it was a problem from the update.

Anyways, looking to get these problems ironed out and improve my already awesome (with a little trouble) experience with this amazing phone and it sounds like unleashing its full powers is the way.
Thanks for the help jerzy..from a fellow jerseyite (transplanted to LA but still jersey inside)

No problems with screen sensitivity at all. The screen responsiveness is drastically better though. No problems with 4G either. I say go for it. You'll never look back!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781