Was ready to root, until I read the instructions

PedroTheGoat

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions, goat. I'm using clockwork. It looks like I'm still stuck in the boot loop after wiping and flashing again, so I'll follow your suggestion of restoring my backup and trying to use rom manager.

Good luck to you man. Don't panic... As long as your phone turns on then there is a solution. If you still haven't worked it out by the time I'm off work then we'll try new stuff.

I'm still wondering if you have full root... I didn't use unrEVOked so it's a bit murky to me where exactly you are now.

PedroTheGoat

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
ok so i was able to get simple root to work..now i installed wireless tether for root user and it not working. unable to tether. any ideas?

Check out that link I gave you in my above post and check out my post on flashing ROMs and radios and such.

You need Super User to be able to allow tethering to work and stuff. Head over to the Hacks subsection and check out the stickies too.

b0ricua

May 24, 2010
Visit site
I'd highly recommend that you folks with Root issues to take your questions to the Evo Hacks forum. You'll get a much better response there.

And for the record Pedro, amon RA recovery is GREAT and shows no issues wiping dalvik-cache..just want to clear that up.

clavodulce16

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
ok so i got tether working after installing superuser. you guys keep mentioning rom flashing roms and radios etc... what is that all about. I just want 2.2 now

Mdorty

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Thanks a ton goat, I'm not sure why it made a difference, but installing Vaelpak through rom manager worked perfectly! I'm off to have fun with my 'new' phone now :D

b0ricua

May 24, 2010
Visit site
ok so i got tether working after installing superuser. you guys keep mentioning rom flashing roms and radios etc... what is that all about. I just want 2.2 now

What version OS do you have? If you haven't flashed any ROM after using SimpleRoot then you have 2.1 you should flash a 2.2 ROM (either stock or a plethora of custom ones at XDA).

If you like Sense, then I'd recommend the ROM in my signature, click on that and there are instructions on how to flash it. Essentially all you need to do is place the ROM (zip file) on the root of your SD card, Wipe (data, dalvik, and cache) through your recovery, then flash that zip file (should be an option in your recovery)

Sed8ing

May 15, 2010
Visit site
I downloaded the Vaelpak that included this kernel: Kings BFS8 Kernel, which I'm pretty sure has the unlocked fps :)

Yes that does have the unlocked fps and is a sweet *** ROM.... also be sure to check out vaelek's thread at XDA if you have any issues he will address them and usually has the fix for you before you finish typing the problem ;) Most of my issues have been minor (the one major one was my stupidity/inexperience) and he has fixed all of them quickly and easily with either patches dowloads or just byu providing a few commands to send to your phone.

He even helped with the problems not caused by his ROM! Definitely better customer service on the VaelPak than Sprint and/or HTC will ever provide ;)

Enjoy the ROM!

Mdorty

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Yes that does have the unlocked fps and is a sweet *** ROM.... also be sure to check out vaelek's thread at XDA if you have any issues he will address them and usually has the fix for you before you finish typing the problem ;) Most of my issues have been minor (the one major one was my stupidity/inexperience) and he has fixed all of them quickly and easily with either patches dowloads or just byu providing a few commands to send to your phone.

He even helped with the problems not caused by his ROM! Definitely better customer service on the VaelPak than Sprint and/or HTC will ever provide ;)

Enjoy the ROM!

Yeah, I'm loving it so far! I have no clue why I didn't root years ago :)

Before root, I felt like there were a ton of options, now they seem limitless...:D

Sed8ing

May 15, 2010
Visit site
I agree... it is awesome... also with the NAND recovery you can really know that you can always return to the last ROM that worked and no worries about bricking the phone after you set things up properly...
I would try a bunch of different ROMs but I am not always good with change and now that I have VaelPak up and running and altered to my liking I will probably just keep on track with his stuff as he adds more features.

Hmmm...wondering what the OP Cubfan ended up doing about rooting... I have been warned that unrevoked can cause problems and not sure whether this new "easy" 2.2 root is working yet, but downgrading and then rooting is tried and tested to be stable so that is what I went with

Mdorty

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I agree... it is awesome... also with the NAND recovery you can really know that you can always return to the last ROM that worked and no worries about bricking the phone after you set things up properly...
I would try a bunch of different ROMs but I am not always good with change and now that I have VaelPak up and running and altered to my liking I will probably just keep on track with his stuff as he adds more features.

Hmmm...wondering what the OP Cubfan ended up doing about rooting... I have been warned that unrevoked can cause problems and not sure whether this new "easy" 2.2 root is working yet, but downgrading and then rooting is tried and tested to be stable so that is what I went with

The new unrevoked method is what I used to root, it was nice and simple, worked correctly. My only problem was actually get Vaelpak to flash, but using rom manager instead of fully manually doing it worked, for whatever reason.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey