55 Hours of Battery on EVO

H20wakebum

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,

I finally got my EVO tweaked to get me some good battery life.

Step 1- Root Phone (I followed the video below and it worked like a charm)
How to Root the HTC EVO 4G with Froyo 2.2 [Video Walkthrough] | The Droid Demos

Step 2- Remove all sprint bloatware and apps that I didn't need (friendstream, peep, amazon mp3, all sprint apps, twitter, flicker, etc etc)

Step 3- Paid version of Juice Defender (ultimate Juice buy in android market)... see my config screen shot.

Step 4- Paid version of SetCPU (buy in android market)- see screenshot for details

Step 5- Paid version of Tasker (buy in market). I set up tasks to only turn on GPS when I started Maps/Navigation and also set an exit task to turn it back off.

I made about an hour of phone calls, sent around 50 texts and surfed the web for a good 30 minutes.

I also had my screen brightness set to auto and turned off always on mobile data.

I hope this helps

-RR

solo1

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I made about an hour of phone calls, sent around 50 texts and surfed the web for a good 30 minutes.

From the screen shot of your battery usage and from your actual phone usage I can see why it lasted 2 days ... Try using your phone ... Its way more fun .. ;)

Jfscars48

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
I chuckled and thought the same thing. On the other hand I am a complete novice so rooting is out of the question. On a normal day I talk 2plus hours, check mail a gazillion times, send receive 15 texts, read the news etc. My battery lasts all day. Not bad.

H20wakebum

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
From the screen shot of your battery usage and from your actual phone usage I can see why it lasted 2 days ... Try using your phone ... Its way more fun .. ;)

HAHA!!

Interestingly enough, I had Academy all day Sat/Sun, so this was my real "usage". I basically wasn't around my phone so it was cool to see how it would perform while not in use (as I couldnt use it).

Now (back at work) I'm using it to listen to music all day... and just using it as I normally would... Stay tuned for the usage details once it's drained... I can already tell it will be different media use is at 11% and it's 10am...

I'll update with this once the batt. dies.

Any other tricks you found? I disabled always on Data...

SetCPU is awesome as when my screen is off and im listening to music it throttles down my CPU to 245mhz, that's the biggest saver IMHO.

-RR

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site

-RR

I'm not trying to be a smarta$$, but minus some of the talk time, that's my usage probably in a 3 - 4 period at most.

Did you refrain from using the phone to see just how long it would last in a situation where you absolutely couldn't charge the phone? Or do you just use the phone that little in 2.25 days?

H20wakebum

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
As I mentioned I am in the Fire Academy so Saturday and Sunday I'm not near my phone from 5:45am till 6pm.

I had started this test by unplugging it Friday night.

now during the week, I'm using my phone at my desk to listen to music, surf the web while using the John (check out engadget, wwtdd.com etc) and send texts.

So my next update (when the battery dies) will be different usage.

The weird thing is that I'm using tasker to automate music playback when headset is plugged in and when i look at my battery usage it doesn't show music being used... (see screenshot).

I see it does show media serve, but that's only like 5 minutes, and i've been listening to tunes all morning.

Battery life is definitly running down quicker when using the phone for music etc... time will tell.

-RR

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I can get close to that without going to all that trouble. I am rooted, but haven't deleted any apps. I use Settings Profiles to control the radios, but rarely use GPS. And I use SetCPU which makes a huge different when screen is off.

Last night, I was at about 36 or 38 hours uptime with 45% battery remaining. It's not hard when you hardly use the device. I used the phone less, but the web more, than what you described as your usage.

Caitlyn McKenzie

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I got to 24 hours today on my EVO, with 73% battery remaining. I would get nearly 4 days of usage at the rate it was going.

I used none of the apps listed, removed none of the bloat, am running rooted stock just for Android Wifi Tether. I don't ever turn my GPS off, mobile data is always on, I do use Wi-Fi, etc.

I was logged into MSN Talk about half of that time, had a few text messages and calls.

Summary: If you don't use your phone much, you won't use much power. This ridiculous amount of tweaking isn't necessary.

roothog

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
How did u manage this my friend?

Turn 4g off.
Turn wifi on (if you have an access point available).
Set wifi sleep mode to never.
Turn gtalk auto-signin off.
Turn data roaming off.
Turn always-on mobile data off.
Set network mode to CDMA.
Turn off stock sync.
Turn off news sync.
Don't use facebook/friendstream/etc widgets.

... And then don't do much with the phone. I got my 75 hours uptime on 2.1 over a weekend where nothing much happened. The phone was syncing email on two accounts every 5 minutes (16 hours a day) or 15 minutes (8 hours a day), and syncing weather once per hour. No other substantial use.

I got about 55 hours on 2.1 when doing things like app installs, watching streaming video, and an hour or two of phone conversations using a bluetooth headset.

I regularly get about 50 hours on 2.2, though I haven't really been watching it too closely lately. I seem to be a much lighter user than most people here. I use the phone mostly for email (over WiFi), so I'm not making much use of the more battery-costly cellular radio. I just try to be on WiFi as much as possible, since it's the most battery friendly of the data radios in the phone.

roothog

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Summary: If you don't use your phone much, you won't use much power. This ridiculous amount of tweaking isn't necessary.

Yeah, the completely uncitable general consensus that I've heard comparing Android phones to, say, the fruity phone is that Android has longer battery life than an iPhone in light use but shorter battery life in heavy use. So, Android has a better standby mode but a worse awake mode. Makes reasonable sense, given that Android when awake is fully multiprocess.

I heard that back before the iPhone 4, so I don't know how the comparison would look now given that iOS 4 has crude multitasking.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

That is hilarious.... I rooted and loaded Baked Snack 1.7 on my EVO, with no other modifications other than the rooted ROM... I easily get 24 hours now with 20% remaining (Day two after rooting and installing Baked Snack I just let it go to see how long it would last and after 25 hours I was at 18% remaining)... I am at 14 hours with 58% remaining right now and in the next 3 - 4 hours it will go back on the charger for tomorrow... regardless I am going to charge my phone while I am sleeping... I can't imagine a time when I would need 2+ days on a single charge?

and YES use the phone... What he is writing as his use over 2 days is about what I do in 8 hours...... I travel for a living so I use my EVO all the time for internet, e-mail and phone....

Heck even before I rooted I got 16 hours on a single charge with about 20% remaining....

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Heck even before I rooted I got 16 hours on a single charge with about 20% remaining....

And if that was the end of the day, you could have gone to sleep and woken up 8 hours later and still had some juice left.

Just curious as to why people have to go so long without charging their phones. Or are people just experimenting for the heck of it.

I think I draw the line at 18 hours "normal" usage. That's more than enough time to say, leave the house in the morning for work and get me to around 2 am. This is without limiting usage, but naturally without playing a 3D game or something for a couple hours. And normal would be 30 minutes worth of calls, a dozen emails, anywhere from 50 - 100 texts, an hour or so of web, then an hour or so total of miscellaneous apps.

I have zero battery tweaks and find I can get that number easily, and another 8 - 12 hours if I ease up on the web browsing.

bdarknessb

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
Lately I've been getting great battery life with "always on data" turned off along with location from cell towers turned off. by the end of the night im at 60% battery left with normal use, compared to 20% before changing these options.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty