Any one with a Mac and Evo?

Beezzy

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I've recently been looking to get a Mac. Everything I hate about the iPhone is opposite on the Mac. It's multimedia uses and design appeals to me. I play with my friend's Mac all the time. I like to play with photoshop and video editor. That said, how well do Androids play with Macs? I have an EVO and a non active Hero and I wanna be able to play around with root and other mods for my phone. Any opinions and experience on this? Cause that MacBook Pro is sexy!

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G

Mdorty

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I just checked out the macbook pro website. The Apple MacBook Pro 15" Core i5-520M 2.4GHz 2x2GB 320GB SD nVidia GeForce GT 330M is almost the same specs as my acer laptop, yet the mac costs $1,600, my acer costs $800. Just saying :)

malhotra365

May 22, 2010
Visit site
I have a macbook pro and an evo, I absolutely love the macbook, it works flawlessly and is so smooth. I know that on paper the numbers and specs look similar for other laptops, but you just can't compare who fluid everything works.

Lastly, I installed bootcamp on my mac so if I have a program or task (burning dvd's, etc) that is more suited to the windows system I am able to do that.

I guess it's like the difference between a Hyundai Genesis and a Mercedes, one just works better. But I digress, this isn't a car or laptop website. I haven't done much with the macbook pro and evo together. I have rooted my evo, which doesn't really require a laptop to do. Everything is google-synced so I can access my email, phonebook, schedule and tasks from any computer.

My two cents

Mdorty

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I have a macbook pro and an evo, I absolutely love the macbook, it works flawlessly and is so smooth. I know that on paper the numbers and specs look similar for other laptops, but you just can't compare who fluid everything works.

Lastly, I installed bootcamp on my mac so if I have a program or task (burning dvd's, etc) that is more suited to the windows system I am able to do that.

I guess it's like the difference between a Hyundai Genesis and a Mercedes, one just works better. But I digress, this isn't a car or laptop website. I haven't done much with the macbook pro and evo together. I have rooted my evo, which doesn't really require a laptop to do. Everything is google-synced so I can access my email, phonebook, schedule and tasks from any computer.

My two cents

The only difference would be the OS, then, because Apple no longer makes their own hardware, same internals as you can get on any other computer/laptop.

Not trying to start an argument, just saying. I haven't used Apple's OS much, but everything I read says its really good.

meriwether#AC

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
I just checked out the macbook pro website. The Apple MacBook Pro 15" Core i5-520M 2.4GHz 2x2GB 320GB SD nVidia GeForce GT 330M is almost the same specs as my acer laptop, yet the mac costs $1,600, my acer costs $800. Just saying :)
You could do what I do, which is purchase the cheaper PC, and install MacOSX on it. I have done that to 3 PCs and a laptop. It works great. You need to study and find hardware that works well with Mac--such as Intel processors. (But I have it running on an AMD PC, too, it's just tougher.) Specific laptops are known to work perfectly without tweaking. You can almost always find a driver for any peripheral if you don't get it working right away.

Always remember to purchase your copy of MacOSX.

roothog

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

Yeah, but at the end of the day you have an Acer. I guess it's better than an eMachines. At least compare price against a ThinkPad or anything else that's not a complete POS.

roothog

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I haven't used Apple's OS much, but everything I read says its really good.

I use OS X and Ubuntu regularly. In the past, I've also used WinXP and Gentoo. OS X is the best of all of them, by a pretty good margin. I haven't ever used Win7, so I can't make that comparison.

It's UNIX with a pretty GUI.

Doug B

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
My MacBook Pro and my Evo play very well together. I have used SDK with my Evo and have not had any problems. As far as other programs go, I LOVE using photoshop with it.

Doug B

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
I use OS X and Ubuntu regularly. In the past, I've also used WinXP and Gentoo. OS X is the best of all of them, by a pretty good margin. I haven't ever used Win7, so I can't make that comparison.

It's UNIX with a pretty GUI.

Agreed. My tower PC is running Win7 Ultimate. I think Microsoft is finally starting to get it right. The only time I run into BSODs now is when I tweak my OC settings, which is a problem I caused... not Windows. The whole reason I went to OSX in the first place was because I was tired of all the BSODs with XP. Vista, well I wont even go there. IMHO in think Win7 is a good competitor for OSX now. If my MacBook ever dies it will be a coin toss to decide which route to go with for a replacement.

roothog

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The EVO should work well with pretty much any system, since it just mounts the SD card as an external drive. A related question might be: what desktop software is available on various operating systems for things like purchasing music and pushing it to the phone (e.g. iTunes replacement). Songbird seems to be one that works on a variety of platforms, including OS X.

logicalform

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I use OS X and Ubuntu regularly... OS X is the best of all of them, by a pretty good margin.

Haha, It's kind of funny that I just came to the opposite conclusion yesterday. While checking out the macs at Best Buy I realized that I might be far too ubuntufied to go back to OS X. Playing around with with an iMac I got flashbacks of my old G4 powerbook and how many hoops I had to jump through to get things just the way I liked them, e.g. tweaking the UI, ogg/flac support in itunes, etc. So I came home, made my windows wobbly, turned everything transparent, and smiled 'cause it's all free :p I do have to admit, though, that if I ever got serious about Photoshop or any other such creative software, I would most definitely go the Mac route. I would also use OS X over Windows in a heartbeat for pretty much anything else (other than blu-ray... but I digress...)
BTW, evo works fine with Ubuntu, in case you were wondering.

bobodobo

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm almost sure the OP was asking if Macs work well with the EVO, not for a comparison of Macs with Windows computers. If the OP was asking about the latter, then this blog is in the wrong forum and should be moved. Moreover, there are about a million Mac vs. Windows blogs on other sites which the OP can read if that is his/her interest.

I have a MacBook Pro and an EVO, do they work well together? Yes and no. Mostly yes (wireless tethering is perfect, bluetooth works fine, connections via USB to your SD card is effortless, etc.) The only real problem is syncing iCal and Address Book on the Mac (if you use those). I use Missing Sync to do the syncing, and its performance is "iffy." See this thread for a review. Trying to get iCal to sync to Google calendar was a complete disaster; a search will show that my experience in that regard is far from unique. For me, Missing Sync works "well enough" that I can live with it. Every individual must decide for himself/herself whether the iffy syncing through 3rd party applications is a serious weakness or not.

Last edited:

soker78

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
i have a question about this topic i have a mac air with an evo and i read people here being able to do hacks and stuff with the mac and evo i have nt been able to figure out how i am never hack or done anything with the evo but i really want to

thanks

logicalform

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I'm almost sure the OP was asking if Macs work well with the EVO, not for a comparison of Macs with Windows computers. If the OP was asking about the latter, then this blog is in the wrong forum and should be moved. Moreover, there are about a million Mac vs. Windows blogs on other sites which the OP can read if that is his/her interest

Sir, yes sir! We're all aware of what the question was. Don't be so uptight - a little off topic never hurt anybody.

Mdorty

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, but at the end of the day you have an Acer. I guess it's better than an eMachines. At least compare price against a ThinkPad or anything else that's not a complete POS.

I'm pretty sure I never said that Acer is a top quality brand, but I've owned mine for about six months and haven't had any problems yet. Although I'm also pretty sure that a higher quality laptop with Windows isn't worth $800 more.

swgator13

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I have a newer macbook and have zero problems with EVO to mac interface but it feels like I have to wait longer for customization software. I am still running the stock Froyo 2.2 unrooted cause I have to wait on the unRevoked 3 to work for my Mac. I dont want to downgrade back to 2.1 and then root so I am still waiting to be able to tether. Kinda sucks but I am very new to this whole rooting thing...not to mention the other hacks like ROMs (which I am not even clear on what that is).

I just want to tether for free and now that I want to run Froyo I am out of luck for the time being.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2