1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Flash in Evo with Froyo: A question

Hi there,
    I have an Evo and it was updated to 2.2 as soon as I got it. Under Applications>All, it does show Adobe Flash Player 10.1 version 10.1.72.7 but it is only 52KB in size as compared to the 4.25MB size of the version in the above pic. So, I am thinking that my Evo with Froyo still does not have the real or full Flash 10.1. I can experience the potential fun of Flash from the mobile optimized "m.flash.com", but when I try to log into a wesite like , it says "HBO.com is now a Flash site. Your device does not support Flash. Please choose from one of the following options" - and the options are 1. m.hbo.com, 2. HBO iTunes app, and 3. HTML-only version of HBO.com. I tried searching for Flash Player 10.1 (like the one shown in the pic above) in the Market, but it only has Adobe Flash Showcase.
    So, my question is should not my Evo with Froyo have the full flash? and, should not it be able to load hbo.com and not the mobile optimized version only?

Thanks a lot for your kind help.

My EVO was updated to 2.2 OTA and has the same flash player version as you and it only shows that it is 52kb large.

That being said, you have Flash and can prove it by going to a flash site like:

In looking at the HTML for the HBO.com site, it apparently has some Javascript that checks your browser type and if it isn't IE/Firefox/Chrome on a PC or Firefox/Safari for Mac your SOL.

I didn't find the exact redirect for a mobile browser, but I bet that's the main problem.

Quote Originally Posted by luvevo View Post
    Hi there,
    I have an Evo and it was updated to 2.2 as soon as I got it. Under Applications>All, it does show Adobe Flash Player 10.1 version 10.1.72.7 but it is only 52KB in size as compared to the 4.25MB size of the version in the above pic. So, I am thinking that my Evo with Froyo still does not have the real or full Flash 10.1. I can experience the potential fun of Flash from the mobile optimized "m.flash.com", but when I try to log into a wesite like , it says "HBO.com is now a Flash site. Your device does not support Flash. Please choose from one of the following options" - and the options are 1. m.hbo.com, 2. HBO iTunes app, and 3. HTML-only version of HBO.com. I tried searching for Flash Player 10.1 (like the one shown in the pic above) in the Market, but it only has Adobe Flash Showcase.
    So, my question is should not my Evo with Froyo have the full flash? and, should not it be able to load hbo.com and not the mobile optimized version only?

Thanks a lot for your kind help.
    Make sure you're in desktop view instead of mobile view. And make sure your "plug ins" is set to either always on (like I have it) or on demand
    How to flash a rom on your htc Evo
    Proud owner of a CR-48--My review of my CR-48

iPhone > Instinct > Hero > Evo 4G > Evo 3D

Evo 3D OOWNNSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Twitter

PS3- SpiderMonkee

Global Posts
    146 Global Posts

flash on froyo is the most over rated thing ever. it's ok for movies, but try and push a button in the flash portion of screen....it sucks.

i've very disapointed with flash.

Global Posts
    543 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanRom

I just wish you could change volume when playing a flash video. Basic functionality people!
    Samsung Instinct > Palm Pre > HTC EVO > Evo 3D > Samsung GSIII on VZW
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Default @Jerzyiroc

Thanks for your quick response. I am a newbie to android and so am still learning. So, are you saying that you also have the same 52KB 10.1.72.7 version of Flash Player 10.1, and when you enter in your browser, it does not say "HBO.com is now a Flash site. Your device does not support Flash"? Also, how do I get desktop view and the plug-ins on? Thanks a lot.

Thanks for your quick response. I am a newbie to android and so am still learning. So, are you saying that you also have the same 52KB 10.1.72.7 version of Flash Player 10.1, and when you enter in your browser, it does not say "HBO.com is now a Flash site. Your device does not support Flash"? Also, how do I get desktop view and the plug-ins on? Thanks a lot.
    If you're using the stock htc browser, while you're in the browser just go to settings. You should see the choices somewhere in there. I don't have the htc browser anymore on my rom and I use Dolphin browser..

Twitter

PS3- SpiderMonkee
    Thanked by:
    luvevo 
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

I am using the stock htc browser, and i checked in the settings, and my "plug ins are always on. I didn't find the option for "desktop view", but under "Mobile view", "Enable mobile versions of web pages" is on.
    I still don't know why hbo.com says my device does not support Flash.
    Thanks a lot for your help and patience.

I am using the stock htc browser, and i checked in the settings, and my "plug ins are always on. I didn't find the option for "desktop view", but under "Mobile view", "Enable mobile versions of web pages" is on.
    I still don't know why hbo.com says my device does not support Flash.
    Thanks a lot for your help and patience.

Ahh ok. I wasn't sure how it was worded on the Sense browser. Uncheck "enable mobile version"

Twitter

PS3- SpiderMonkee

Flash overrated? One of the best features on any mobile device. I love flash.
    If I were never here, you would never know.

Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7/ Bonsai

If you un check enable mobile view hbo.com will load. It's slow and buggy but I think it's because the entire site is flash.

Loaded it up with dolphin us. Worked fine