Bestbuy Trade in option, up to $185 for EVO's

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
I think you better ask someone. Best Buy sells them for that price with a contract or available upgrade. If I took your Evo for $250 (which practically anyone would be willing to do), you'd be spending significantly more to replace it or get something else. Sorry.

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I would essentially be doing a one for one swap. I will upgrade another one of my lines to the epic. Then change the device over to the number I have my evo on. And put the old device back on that line.

I'm not trying to make money here.

This is all hypothetical here. I'm still deciding.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I would essentially be doing a one for one swap. I will upgrade another one of my lines to the epic. Then change the device over to the number I have my evo on. And put the old device back on that line.

I'm not trying to make money here.

This is all hypothetical here. I'm still deciding.

You would be wasting an upgrade then.

You'd essentially be using $500 worth of discount to acquire one device at $225 with two new 2-year contracts. Maybe be a wash out-of-pocket, but you're basically throwing away $250 Sprint is offering you and taking on their contracts.

swgator13

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The Epic retails for $650 here. I just signed a new sprint contract last month so for people like me (who don't qualify for an upgrade) would get $185 for the trade-in and then pay $650 for the new Epic...hells no...

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Full upgrade, and its the same situation as above, used the upgrade for the evo, but when I called in I'm still eligible for another one.

digmys

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
You're just wasting one of your line's upgrades. Why the heck wouldnt you buy the epic on the upgradable line, then switch it to your line, deactivating the EVO and put the old phone back on the other line? Then sell your EVO for $400 on eBay?

Best Buy's $185 trade-in is more of a HORRIBLE idea than a good one, either I'm missing something or your logic is horribly flawed.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
You would be wasting an upgrade then.

You'd essentially be using $500 worth of discount to acquire one device at $225 with two new 2-year contracts. Maybe be a wash out-of-pocket, but you're basically throwing away $250 Sprint is offering you and taking on their contracts.

I think I agree with this guy. You may as well buy one of the phone's outright. And yes I realize that next year you will get another upgrade. BUT, you will have technically thrown money away by selling the EVO for less than no commitment price. You will have a line with a two year agreement and not a new phone.

This idea is just filled with so many ways to regret it later on.

TScottTC

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I think I agree with this guy. You may as well buy one of the phone's outright. And yes I realize that next year you will get another upgrade. BUT, you will have technically thrown money away by selling the EVO for less than no commitment price. You will have a line with a two year agreement and not a new phone.

This idea is just filled with so many ways to regret it later on.
I know I paid way more than $185 for my EVO 4G, so I know others would be willing to pay at least $400.

I agree with Darth Mo and lilysdad, there are just way too many ways to regret it. Just buy the Epic on the second line and switch it.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Trading to BB doesn't help at all. You could easily sell it for 400+ to recoup the original cost and then pay for the next phone. But if you trade it in you either ONLY recoup the cost of the EVO OR pay for the new one. Even if you do have an upgrade you still aren't coming out on top. Think about it.....

Using round numbers and excluding taxes

-200.00 for EVO when it came out
185.00 for BB trade in

-15.00 in the hole

-230.00 for Epic

245.00 is how much it costs you when you trade it in to best buy.

Now let's say you sell it on eBay or craigslist for 425 after fees etc..

-200.00 for EVO when it came out
425 for selling it

225 profit

-230 for epic

5 bucks is the total cost if you sell it instead of trading it in.

I think people forget that when they trade in or sell devices you have to factor in the cost that you originally paid in order to see how much you really have lost or gained. If you're just comparing how much you get with how much the next device cost you could lose a lot of money.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Well if you got the EVO in June on a 2 year contract for $199 and then trade it for $185 to get an Epic your no longer going to be eligible for the 2 year upgrade price of $230 your going to pay $500+ for the Epic....So your better off trying to get $300 - 400 on Craigslist and then buying the Epic outright... Sprint isn't going to just keep giving you the 2 year agreement price every time you trade your phone at best buy and I doubt Best Buy is going to just eat the difference to get you traded out....

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
He said he would use the upgrade that he's eligible on another line for the epic, so he would get the cheaper price. What I'm saying is that whatever line he used to get the EVO would have a two year agreement with a crap old phone on it. How long will that phone last?

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
He said he would use the upgrade that he's eligible on another line for the epic, so he would get the cheaper price. What I'm saying is that whatever line he used to get the EVO would have a two year agreement with a crap old phone on it. How long will that phone last?

That is still pure stupidity..... Your either stuck with a crappy phone on a two year contract or you just pay $79.99 per month for a line you don't use OR you pay an early termination fee to break the contract for that line so you can trade up???? When you could have sold your EVO for $300 - 400 and then just bought an Epic outright and swapped phones for the line you all ready have and your still in the hole no matter what you do....

None of that makes any logical sense at all.. :confused:

That is why when I got my Nexus One I just paid full price for the phone so I didn't get stuck on a T-Mobile contract.... 3+ months later after I paid $570 with tax for the phone I sold it on craigslist for $450 and then bought my EVO on contract.... I loved the Nexus One but I had big time reservations of signing a two year deal with T-Mobile and thank the good lord I didn't.... Their coverage STINKS!!!! at least if you travel and move around it does... If I stayed inside Nashville, TN 90% of the time it would have worked but I travel and they have more blind spots than a freaking bus with no windows or mirrors...

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
The line getting the epic is getting a temporary plan change. It will be set back to the original add a line plan after the epic is switched. Your right in that selling to BB is a bad idea. If I decide to trade for the epic I will find another buyer.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie