is that a droid?

AndroiduserT

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
*vent/rant*
I am so tired of getting asked this question. Big red has done such a great job branding their android phones that those not as informed about detailed specs on new-age smartphones call any android(-like) phone "a droid."
at first, i would take the time to explain that android is an operating system that is applied to many form factors across carriers and that vzw has just branded their phones running android as as droids. but i've lost my patience and have stopped explaining. depending on who asks, i either say "no, its not" (with a spark of trepidation in my voice) or a dismissive "sure, u can call it that."

does anyone else get this?

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
Why would this offend you? It's not like someone asked if your son is a girl. It's a phone, for crying out loud. :)

rockdrummersrock

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I work IT for libraries and as a result am around people who are not quite the most tech-savvy. As a result I get this all the time. Usually I just say sort of and try to spur a conversation and tell them why Android is awesome and what all neat things smartphones can do. I just say yes since its far easier than explaining.

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
All the time.
But you'll just have to realize that people don't educate themselves in the smartphone world like people here do.

I just wish I could answer back without confusing them, haha.

deaofly

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I always get the famous, it that a iPhone? Then I reply, have U ever seen and iPhone with a big nice screen like this? Then they are like, no I just didn't know what that was. Then I'm like, well why not say that's a nice phone, what is it. Lmao at those sorry people who can't tell the diff between a iPhone and Any other kind of phone.

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, it's just a phone.

I don't really worry about such things. I suppose if someone is concerned about carrier branding of "Droid" versus proliferation of the Android OS on other carriers, it could be "an issue".

I mean if people looking for the EVO ended up going to Verizon to get the EVO (thinking it's a "Droid" so I go to Verizon to get it), that could be an issue for Sprint... but it would mean that Sprint's (or HTC's) commercial failed to properly inform the potential customer where to get the thing. I really don't think that's an issue though.

Anyone that is really looking specifically for an EVO likely knows it is not a Droid. Conversely, anyone just looking for a "droid" phone probably doesn't know what model they want and will need advice.

SdotJ

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I get it a lot but just inform most that Droid is short for Android and keep going. I don't get offended at all and actually think its actually cool for people not to ask me if I have a iPhone lol.

Beezzy

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Ummmm so? Let people call it a Droid. Somebody called my phone the other day the Droid Evo, I didn't freak out. You sir need to get laid....like yesterday.

AndroiduserT

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
didnt mean to portray that i was actually angry over this. not like ima go shoot up a school or something, there is no lost sleep here. its just annoying and/or funny sometimes and i got that question about 4 times this week.

just bored at work forum convo

Bujin#IM

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
I?ve gotten that quite a bit, and use it as a teachable moment: ?No, the Droid is a different phone, but mine runs the same Android operating system....?

Dave Blake

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I make it simple and just say no its an EVO most people dont ask anything else they have seen the commercials. If they want to know more and ask more questions I give them the run down on the EVO and I never mention Droid again.

Later,
Dave

AndroiduserT

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I make it simple and just say no its an EVO most people dont ask anything else they have seen the commercials. If they want to know more and ask more questions I give them the run down on the EVO and I never mention Droid again.

Later,
Dave

sometimes i forget how popular this phone is. i should probably go that route :D

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
I usually give him my most sophisticated, nose-in-the-air look, and proclaim, "How DARE you!" Then I slap the heathen with my glove and challenge him to pistols at 10 paces. :)

AndroiduserT

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I usually give him my most sophisticated, nose-in-the-air look, and proclaim, "How DARE you!" Then I slap the heathen with my glove and challenge him to pistols at 10 paces. :)

LMAO!!!! that's why i made this thread. i nice 4:30 about to leave work laugh

Flawson

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
You guys will be really happy to know, someone asked me if my phone was the EVO yesterday! So chalk at least one up.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

gbm85

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Even "Droid" is a general term. I mean, there is the original Droid, the Droid Eris, Droid Incredible, Droid X, and now the Droid 2. I might even be missing one somewhere. And they're not even all made by the same company.

I've only gotten this question once, and I said... yeah, it's a Sprint Droid. Like the Verizon one but better and cheaper!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjammmin007